Good backwards compatible HDTV

Old January 5th 08, 03:28 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
AlanS

Default Good backwards compatible HDTV

I'm soliciting for suggestions for a good backwards compatible HDTV. I
bought Sony 40KV2500, but it turns out it's non-HD image is terrible,
much worse than CRTs. On top of that, even though advertised as having
VGA input, the resolution is limited to 1400x1050. In an ideal world,
everything would be HD, but that's not happening for a while. So, it's
going back to the store. My question: Is there a decent 37"-40" HD TV
out there with full res VGA-in and good non-HD rendering? TIA.
Old January 5th 08, 06:51 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
G-squared

On Jan 4, 7:28*pm, AlanS wrote:
I'm soliciting for suggestions for a good backwards compatible

HDTV. I
bought Sony 40KV2500, but it turns out it's non-HD image is

terrible,
much worse than CRTs. On top of that, even though advertised as

having
VGA input, the resolution is limited to 1400x1050. In an ideal

world,
everything would be HD, but that's not happening for a while. So,

it's
going back to the store. My question: Is there a decent 37"-40" HD

TV
out there with full res VGA-in and good non-HD rendering? TIA.

Did you try the 'limited' VGA port or just assume its N/G? As a point
of reference, the Sony HD-CAM high definition digital betacam
broadcast VTR down rezzes the 1080i signal to 1440x1080 and up rezzes
during playback. The replacement machines (SRW5500) does do a true
1920x1080.

I don't know of any manufacturers that spent any extra effort to get
the best performance with an analog composite signal. If you connected
a DVD player via HDMI or analog component, that would be a very
similar signal but without the subcarrier. Decoding analog composite
has always been the weakest link in the system. The best of the analog
sets had 3 line digital comb filters to do the best job possible. But
as a manufacturing issue, why spend money to do a good job on signals
whose days are numbered? And no matter how good a job you do, it will
pale in comparison to the HD feeds.

BTW your TV appears to be a KDL-40V2500

GG
Old January 5th 08, 12:39 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
L Alpert

AlanS wrote:
I'm soliciting for suggestions for a good backwards compatible HDTV. I
bought Sony 40KV2500, but it turns out it's non-HD image is terrible,
much worse than CRTs. On top of that, even though advertised as having
VGA input, the resolution is limited to 1400x1050. In an ideal world,
everything would be HD, but that's not happening for a while. So, it's
going back to the store. My question: Is there a decent 37"-40" HD TV
out there with full res VGA-in and good non-HD rendering? TIA.

What kind of SD signal do you use, cable, satellite, OTA? What is the
signal level? If cable, is there a difference between the analog and
digital stations?

Old January 5th 08, 06:34 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Larry Bud

On Jan 4, 10:28*pm, AlanS wrote:
I'm soliciting for suggestions for a good backwards compatible HDTV. I
bought Sony 40KV2500, but it turns out it's non-HD image is terrible,
much worse than CRTs. On top of that, even though advertised as having
VGA input, the resolution is limited to 1400x1050. In an ideal world,
everything would be HD, but that's not happening for a while. So, it's
going back to the store. My question: Is there a decent 37"-40" HD TV
out there with full res VGA-in and good non-HD rendering? TIA.

What people seem to not understand is that generally when they get an
HDTV, the TV is at least twice as big as they're used to watching. So
that means that the terrible NTSC analog signal is just blown up as
least twice as big as they're used to.

It's like looking at crappy newspaper photos standing 1 foot away from
the paper, or 5 feet away from the paper.
Old January 5th 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 10:34:49 -0800, Larry Bud wrote:

On Jan 4, 10:28*pm, AlanS wrote:
I'm soliciting for suggestions for a good backwards compatible HDTV. I
bought Sony 40KV2500, but it turns out it's non-HD image is terrible,
much worse than CRTs. On top of that, even though advertised as having
VGA input, the resolution is limited to 1400x1050. In an ideal world,
everything would be HD, but that's not happening for a while. So, it's
going back to the store. My question: Is there a decent 37"-40" HD TV
out there with full res VGA-in and good non-HD rendering? TIA.

What people seem to not understand is that generally when they get an
HDTV, the TV is at least twice as big as they're used to watching. So
that means that the terrible NTSC analog signal is just blown up as
least twice as big as they're used to.

It's like looking at crappy newspaper photos standing 1 foot away from
the paper, or 5 feet away from the paper.

SD comes in fine on my 37" HDTV. But I get OTA. If he's getting cable or
sat, I'm not sure if the signal is as good. The one time I saw Directv SD
on an HDTV it looked like crap.

Old January 5th 08, 11:32 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Bob

I was very surprised to see that my 42"Panasonic did very well with 480i
signal but I think that it converts it to a 480P
Bob

news:[email protected]

Old January 7th 08, 11:55 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 18:11:20 -0800, Bill's News wrote:

SD comes in fine on my 37" HDTV. But I get OTA. If he's getting cable
or
sat, I'm not sure if the signal is as good. The one time I saw Directv
SD
on an HDTV it looked like crap.

Wes, you're not giving enough credit to the upconversion capabilities of
your Myth systems. And you're not considering how insignificant
upscaling is on a small display vs. a large display. Some folk who
complain of poor SD presentation on their displays have units twice as
large as you or I.

When I give a comparison like above, I'm not talking about through my
MythTV system. I'm talking about selecting a channel with the tuner in the
Tv. In fact I don't even have any tuners capable of NTSC in my mythtv
system. They are all ATSC only. I also have the antenna hooked to my TV's
as well as an old vcr for a total 9 tuners it feeds. I'm simply giving
what mine looks like. The DirecTV picture I saw was on a set about the
size of my 37". It may have been a little bigger, but not much.

My featureless 42" monitor showed poor SD picture quality a few years
ago when initially connected to a Motorola HDVR. Over time, the
Motorola firmware was upgraded by the cable company and that issue
disappeared. During the same time span none on my PCs had ever failed
to produce an excellent SD picture,

And exactly the reason I specified mine was OTA. IOW's the problem you had
was not with the TV, but with the source. Cable I presume.

Yes, SD on a 1920x1080 display sucks, unless shown in 640x480 dots. To
overcome this, the better the upconverting algorithm, the better the
result.

And even my cheap HDTV's have selections 1:1, which would be crystal clear
on any set. Assuming a good source.