S-Video to DVI or VGA?

Old September 15th 03, 06:41 AM
flarkblark

Default S-Video to DVI or VGA?

I'm looking to buy a DVD player and the one I know of will have
S-Video output. But I want to hook that up to a 19 inch LCD TFT
monitor, which has DVI and standard VGA inputs. Does anyone
know how this can be done?

Thanks.
Old September 15th 03, 07:28 AM
SA

(flarkblark) wrote:

I'm looking to buy a DVD player and the one I know of will have
S-Video output. But I want to hook that up to a 19 inch LCD TFT
monitor, which has DVI and standard VGA inputs. Does anyone
know how this can be done?

Thanks.

There is probably no point in going svideo to DVI, I am not sure if
there is anyone making such a box either, but all going to DVI would do
is limit your ability to make picture adjustments which you may need
going from analog to digital

But Planar makes a nice TV tuner type box which has s-video to VGA:

http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2204055

This one is pretty decent, although the remote is not as nice as some,
the box works better than the viewsonic and kworld boxes. And it gives
you a TV Tuner to boot.

You could instead buy a DVD player with DVI input, but AFAIK there is
only one, Samsung DVD-HD931 and it goes for like $300. This would give
you much better picture and resolution... later

Take it easy,
Old September 15th 03, 03:41 PM
Richard

"SA" wrote in message
(flarkblark) wrote:

[...]

Just pick up a new DVD player with an HDMI output. This is designed to
convert to a standard DVI output with a cheap adapter. Such hardware is just
starting to hit the street.

Richard.

Old September 16th 03, 12:29 AM
Chuck Olson

"SA" wrote in message
(flarkblark) wrote:

[...]

There is another DVD player with DVI output. It's the Bravo D1 player by V Inc., and is
reportedly slightly better than the HD931 for about the same price. I bought one and find it
works well with my 60" wide screen - - excellent resolution. It should be just as impressive on
your 19" LCD TFT.

Chuck

Old September 16th 03, 03:29 AM
LionOfJudah

From: "Chuck Olson"
Subject: S-Video to DVI or VGA?
Date: Monday, September 15, 2003 6:29 PM

"SA" wrote in message
(flarkblark) wrote:

[...]

---

Why is the bravo slightly better? Because you bought it?

The samsung has DcDi Fajouda deinterlacing which is better.

Old September 16th 03, 03:29 AM
LionOfJudah

Old September 16th 03, 04:43 AM
MusicMax

(flarkblark) wrote in
om:

I'm looking to buy a DVD player and the one I know of will have
S-Video output. But I want to hook that up to a 19 inch LCD TFT
monitor, which has DVI and standard VGA inputs. Does anyone
know how this can be done?

Yes. Put your DVD player in a PC :-)

Seriously, why would you want to do a D/A conversion (DVD disc - S-Video)
and then an A/D conversion (S-Video to DVI)?

If you put together a DVD drive with WinDVD or PowerDVD, a 5.1 soundcard
such as the M-Audio Revolution
(
http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/index.php),
a DVI-capable video card, and PowerStrip (to switch to 720x480 so you're
matching the DVD's resolution - check to make sure the video card can do
720x480), you will have a pure digital solution. Use the LCD's vertical
size to squeeze down anamorphic DVDs to the right aspect ratio.