Season Pass + Padding = no back-to-back episodes ("Friends" finaleand restrostpective)

Old May 5th 04, 10:06 AM
Joe Smith

Default Season Pass + Padding = no back-to-back episodes ("Friends" finaleand restrostpective)

This posting is for people who may be reading newsgroups while away from home
and might not otherwise see this PreTivoCentral message in time.

Subject: Friends Season Pass Alert
From: TiVo Customer Care
Date: Monday, 5/3/2004

On Thursday evening May 6, NBS will be airing a special hour log
retrospective Friends episode followed by the series finale.

Because these episodes are back to back, if you have configured
your Friends Season Pass to automatically pad extra time after
each show, your DVR may not capture the series finale.

To ensure that no recordings are missed, please be sure that your
Season Pass is NOT setup with 'padding'.

1. From the main menu, Select "Pick Programs to Record."

2. Select "Season Pass Manager."

3. Select the Season Pass for Friends.

4. Select "Recording Options" and then check to make sure that
the start and stop options are set to "on time".

You can double check that both episodes will be recorded properly
by going to your To Do list and confirming that both episodes
appear on May 6. While doing that, you might also want to add
padding to the beginning of the first program and end of the
second program to make sure that you don't miss anything.

- Customer Care

I have two things to say about that:
1) I am glad that TiVo gave us this notification.
2) I am dismayed that there has been no apparent progress in fixing
this long standing bug.

Assumed overlap between consecutive shows on the same channel should NOT
be fatal to the second recording. It's worse during a marathon of shows;
only the odd-numbered shows get recorded. Having to explain to your
significant other why 7 out of 14 episodes of Pop Up Video were not recorded
is not fun.

As an interm measure, I wish my TiVo would automatically create a TiVo
Message like this whenever it detected overlap on the same channel.

Long term, I wish for the overlap to be stored as part of the second
recording, and have a low-priority task copy the overlap part to the
disk space reserved for the first recording's stream. I don't care if
there is a glitch at that spot on playback, just give me what's available.

-Joe
Old May 5th 04, 06:06 PM
SINNER

* Joe Smith Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

As an interm measure, I wish my TiVo would automatically create a
TiVo Message like this whenever it detected overlap on the same
channel.

Great suggestion. FWIW you can hack the Tivo for soft padding to avoid
such difficulties.

--
David