Buzzing on a digital box.

Old October 9th 18, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Buzzing on a digital box.

No not buzzing as in audio hum like earth loop or open circuit earth, but
buzzing as in old fashioned vision buzz as we used to get on some cheap 625
sets back in the day. How can this occur in this digital age?

Old October 9th 18, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/10/2018 16:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
No not buzzing as in audio hum like earth loop or open circuit earth, but
buzzing as in old fashioned vision buzz as we used to get on some cheap 625
sets back in the day. How can this occur in this digital age?
Brian

You must have an oscilloscope built into your head!

Old October 9th 18, 05:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_3_]

(top posted for Brian)
Can we have more details Brian? Is it constant, all channels, all
programmes or just one specific programme?

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 16:43:07 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

No not buzzing as in audio hum like earth loop or open circuit earth,
but buzzing as in old fashioned vision buzz as we used to get on some
cheap 625 sets back in the day. How can this occur in this digital age?

TOJ.
Old October 9th 18, 08:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/10/2018 17:58, The Other John wrote:
(top posted for Brian)
Can we have more details Brian? Is it constant, all channels, all
programmes or just one specific programme?

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 16:43:07 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

No not buzzing as in audio hum like earth loop or open circuit earth,
but buzzing as in old fashioned vision buzz as we used to get on some
cheap 625 sets back in the day. How can this occur in this digital age?
Brian

Brian when you hear this buzzing do you also get stung?

Old October 10th 18, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

All channels varies with picture content. Its on two boxes. The Old goodmans
talking one and a no name one a friend has which is newer.
I have a theory now. Having scrabble round the back, it seems that since
both are also feeding hi fish with an analogue output, then the picture is
probably also being decoded to analogue as both have got scart sockets. My
theory is that since the video part of the scart is not being used, then its
being picked up by the audio circuits in the boxes.

I suspect if hdmi or similar is used, you probably would not hear it.

news

Old October 10th 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
All channels varies with picture content. Its on two boxes. The Old
goodmans talking one and a no name one a friend has which is newer.
I have a theory now. Having scrabble round the back, it seems that since
both are also feeding hi fish with an analogue output, then the picture is
probably also being decoded to analogue as both have got scart sockets. My
theory is that since the video part of the scart is not being used, then
its being picked up by the audio circuits in the boxes.

When you say that the video part of the SCART is not being used, do you mean
that the pins are not connected to a TV. (London cabbie voice) Stands to
reason, dunnit, that the picture must be leaking out of the pins because
they are not connected to anything :-)

Seriously, I wonder if the fact that the video output is not being fed into
a load impedance, as it would do if the cable was connected to a TV, means
that it is somehow being picked up by the audio circuit. I wonder if a 75
ohm resistor (or whatever the characteristic impedance of a TV's composite
video input is) between video out and ground might help - create a phantom
load.