Jitter watching recorded Channel 5 programmes

Old October 9th 18, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Jitter watching recorded Channel 5 programmes

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 10:09:24 PM UTC+1, NY wrote:
wrote in message
If you play the file on the PC that recorded it, using something like
Videolan VLC player - or even NextPVR's own player, so you see the problem?
In other words, is it the recorded file that's at fault or the
across-the-LAN playback?

If it happens in VLC, try stopping somewhere within the adverts that are
affected and step through frame by frame. If it's happening once every
second, you should see a discontinuity or pause in the motion roughly once
every 25 frames (1 second).

I'm just checking last night's "Paddington".
* Downloaded TS file to a Windows PC and watched using VLC. Perfect.
* Watched using NPVR's own viewer on the same Windows machine used to record it. Perfect.
* Watched using VLC on Android box. Same as last week - C5 News and Paddington programme perfect. Adverts and Sponsorship/Trailer have jitter.
* Watched on Android box using "My5" On demand player. Perfect.

Thanks!

Old October 9th 18, 06:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote in message
I'm just checking last night's "Paddington".
* Downloaded TS file to a Windows PC and watched using VLC. Perfect.
* Watched using NPVR's own viewer on the same Windows machine used to
record it. Perfect.
* Watched using VLC on Android box. Same as last week - C5 News and
Paddington programme perfect. Adverts and Sponsorship/Trailer have jitter.
* Watched on Android box using "My5" On demand player. Perfect.

Mmm. So that suggests a problem either with the android player or with the
mechanism for transferring the video over the LAN. Is it Ethernet or Wifi
from the recorder device to the Android player device?

I wonder if the bit rate for the adverts is higher and the player is
occasionally buffering for a frame or two, and repeating one frame as a
filler until it buffer is non-empty.

When you play it on the PC using VLC, turn on Tools | Codec | Statistics and
see if there is a dramatic change in the bit rate as the adverts start/end -
a bigger change than the second-by-second normal fluctuation.

Old October 10th 18, 01:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 6:47:03 PM UTC+1, NY wrote:

Mmm. So that suggests a problem either with the android player or with the
mechanism for transferring the video over the LAN. Is it Ethernet or Wifi
from the recorder device to the Android player device?

I wonder if the bit rate for the adverts is higher and the player is
occasionally buffering for a frame or two, and repeating one frame as a
filler until it buffer is non-empty.

When you play it on the PC using VLC, turn on Tools | Codec | Statistics and
see if there is a dramatic change in the bit rate as the adverts start/end -
a bigger change than the second-by-second normal fluctuation.

I was dreading the possibility of LAN problems, because I've only just upgraded the Powerline adapters!

I thought of a new test: I copied the TS file to a memory stick and ran that in VLC on the Android box. Same jittering. So we can eliminate the LAN.

I think that what I'll do next is to revert the Android box to all its default settings. I'm sure I've tweaked all sorts of things whilst trying to sort this out...

I'll report back. Many thanks all.
Old October 10th 18, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad you've eliminated the network as a cause of the problem. Restoring
the Android box to its default settings is probably a good idea. Maybe make
a note of everything you've tweaked, having first made a note of all the
adjustable settings so you can compare them with those after you've restored
to default state to allow you to reapply them one by one to see if they are
the culprit.

There's evidently something weird about the way the adverts and continuity
announcements are encoded as MPEG, compared with the settings for the
programme itself, which things like VLC are happy with but the Android box's
player is not.

What was the programme again? I'll record it off Freeview and see if I can
see anything different about the programme versus adverts.

Old October 10th 18, 02:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 2:30:24 PM UTC+1, NY wrote:

What was the programme again? I'll record it off Freeview and see if I can
see anything different about the programme versus adverts.

https://www.my5.tv/paddington-statio...n-3/episode-14
I did have a quick look at VLC's stats, but, if anything, the bit rate seemed higher during the programme than the Ads.

Old October 16th 18, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 10/10/18 14:30, NY wrote:
wrote in message

There's evidently something weird about the way the adverts and continuity
announcements are encoded as MPEG, compared with the settings for the
programme itself, which things like VLC are happy with but the Android box's
player is not.

Rather OT, but there's an interesting similarity with YouTube videos (on
a Panasonic smart TV). Usually the YouTube videos play without problem,
but now and again adverts appear with a "you can cancel the advert in x
seconds" message at the bottom of the screen. Quite often, particularly
when YouTube have returned to using ads after not using them for a
while, the ad will freeze on trying to cancel it, of the YouTube video
will not reappear. You have to go out of the video completely using the
"back" button on the remote, and then load it again.

--

Jeff