Grr.

Old October 8th 18, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Grr.

Yes, well, I hate the ones that try to fix things as you type. I generally
use the one that doe it before sending but since I'm hearing the words,
often it gets it wrong, but sounds right which means it makes a complete
mess.
If I do turn on real time checking then I forget what I was saying. Also
with some of the transmitter sites we get on here it has no idea and one has
to keep on adding them to the custom list, which is very annoying as well.

Nothing seems to have changed much since this old Outlook Express
spellchecker and the new all singing and dancing ones you get on modern
software, except there is often a thesaurus option as well so when you
commonly use the same word, it tries to suggest alternatives.

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 07/10/2018 23:15, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/10/2018 11:44, Chris Green wrote:
Brian wrote:
I do wish spell-check would not keep turning Yagi into Yogi.
Its a damn conspiracy.

I've never bothered will a spell checker and I seem to get along
fairly OK.

No I dont bovva wiv won ither

Eye halve a spelling chequer. It came with my pea sea. It plainly marques
four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight four it two say weather eye
am wrong oar write. It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid it nose bee fore two long, and eye can put
the error rite (Its really ever wrong).
Eye have run this poem threw it. I am shore your pleased two no its letter
perfect in it's weigh. My chequer tolled me sew.

:-)

Jim

Old October 8th 18, 10:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 09:09:52 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Unfortunately grammar checkers are very very annoying since they assume you
want to be perfect, not talk like you speak. and my style is to write as I
speak or as somebody else speaks.

Exactly. I too like to write in my own style (such as it is), not
someone else's, and especially not by being nagged by some uppity
machine. The good news is that spellcheckers and grammar checkers can
be switched off. The thesaurus built in to Libreoffice can be quite
handy, but it only gives advice when I ask for it (Ctrl-F7) and
doesn't bother me the rest of the time. It knows its place, as any
worthwhile piece of technology should. The novelty of using a
spellchecker to produce amusing substitutions for my friends' names
wore off long ago, shortly after my first encounter with an Amstrad
PCW (you know, that beige one with the daisy wheel printer that
sounded like amachine gun). When spellings are in doubt, I have the
good old OED, which I've used all my life, and unlike the dictionary
in any wordprocessor tells me meanings and pronunciations as well. I
have two CDROM versions of diferent vintages installed on my computer,
and an actual two volume book version (remember them?) on a shelf. I
can proudly say that everything I write, even the mistakes, is all my
own work.

Rod.

---

Old October 8th 18, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

No other ones it wont spot are.
Pubic transport
Puke instead of Pike
etc.

I love the spell checker on my Moto E3 mobile phone.

It dosn't change what I'm typing but gives me three sugestions
above the keyboard and only inserts them into the message if I
tap one. It also predicts what I intend to write and is
usually very good at it.

For example, if I start a text with I it immediately prompts
me with have/am/hope for the nest word. If I then select am it
prompts with a/not/looking. If I select looking, I get
forward/for/to and so on.

If I strart typing a different word altogether, it prompts me
with three new words that start with the same letter(s) and
keeps changing them as I type more. It usually gets the word I
want after 3 or 4 letters!

Not bad at all for a phone that cost me 80 whilst my wife is
forever swearing at the way her Asus Zenpad just changes what
she is typing and mangles what she is trying to write!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Old October 8th 18, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 14:54:01 +0100, Terry Casey wrote:

[...]

The spell checker in Pan doesn't auto-correct, it merely highlights the
'misspellings' which you can ignore or right click on to see a list of
most likely alternatives to what you'd typed. You can either choose one
or else tell it to add the word as typed to its dictionary.

I find this sort of spell checking assistance quite useful in picking up
typos as well as spelling errors which you can correct directly without
bringing up the list. In this regard, it can be used as an aid to improve
your innate spelling skills. The auto-correct option is likely to create
a dependency which will lead to a loss of spelling ability echoing the
debilitating effect of the number store facility built into every modern
telephone sold since just before the end of the 2nd millennium on our
ability to recall telephone numbers.

The only spelling error flagged up so far, was "millennium"... oops, two
errors! I'd managed to create another misspelling of "millennium" by
dropping not an 'n' but an 'l' the 2nd time round. I suppose I can take
solace from the fact that "millennium" offers you, not one, but two
chances at getting it wrong. That's a classic example of the "Teaching
Aid" effect of Pan's spell checker - I've now learnt the *correct*
spelling of that slippery word, "millennium". :-)

BTW, you might be interested in knowing which words in your quoted text
were highlighted by Pan for correction. Here's the list:-

Moto E3 A name, not two adjacent spelling mistakes

dosn't doesn't a possible typo

sugestions suggestions another possible typo

strart start a simple typo

Zenpad another name, not a spelling error

Of course, this only helps with detectable misspellings. It's of no help
with missing words and misspellings that aren't misspellings for
similarly spelt words. If you take any pride in your work, you still have
to proof read your opus magnum and hope you don't miss too many errors.

--
Johnny B Good