is HDMI cabling available?

Old August 2nd 03, 07:36 PM
austere minimalist

Default is HDMI cabling available?

Hello,

I'm getting my girlfriend's condo cabled up for A/V, and in reading about
the subject I keep seeing that HDMI is the new standard for connecting HDTV
to source. I haven't found any HDMI cable for sale - the only hint I've
seen of it being available is a Molex web page mentioning they have some
demo cable assemblies.

The drywall's going up pretty soon, so I need to finalize the plan. What's
the consensus on the need for HDMI? If it's needed to future-proof a new
house, how do I go about finding the cabling?

thanks,

-Austere.

Old August 4th 03, 02:26 PM
Drain Bamage

"Alan" wrote in message
In article "austere

minimalist" writes:
Hello,

I'm getting my girlfriend's condo cabled up for A/V, and in reading about
the subject I keep seeing that HDMI is the new standard for connecting

HDTV
to source. I haven't found any HDMI cable for sale - the only hint I've
seen of it being available is a Molex web page mentioning they have some
demo cable assemblies.

The drywall's going up pretty soon, so I need to finalize the plan.

What's
the consensus on the need for HDMI? If it's needed to future-proof a new
house, how do I go about finding the cabling?

If you want to do your best to future-proof a place, think one word:

C O N D U I T .

Whatever you put in will become obsolete. If you have a nice conduit
tube, you can pull it out and put in what is current.

Be sure to make it a big enough diameter -- i.e. bigger than you now
think it will need to be. You may be pulling cables through with

connectors
already on them, while other cables are already there. (Even if you do
them at the same time, one has to go first.)

I would guess 1 inch diameter at the bare minimum.

Make the turns with smooth large radius turns, not little boxes buried

in
the wall.

Some people need to be concerned about building codes.

Alan

Old October 12th 03, 06:40 PM
austere minimalist

My contractor refused to put in 2" conduit, put in 1" conduit instead.His
design has 1 conduit rising from the media furnace in the garage to the
attic, then 3 conduits going down from the attic to various rooms in the
condo.

I'm concerned that I won't be able to fit 3 HDMI cable assemblies
into the rising conduit because of the size of the connectors. Will I be
able to put the 3 HDMI wires into the rising conduit, then splice on the
HDMI connectors myself?

The alternative looks like it'd be to run 50 foot optical cables up from
the garage, which would be unreasonably expensive.

thanks,

-Austere