HDMI Audio Bypassing?

Old October 30th 04, 03:07 AM
seascape

Default HDMI Audio Bypassing?

Can you hook up a HDMI from DVDplayer to TV, but bypass the AUDIO [only use
the VIDEO] in the HDMI and use fiber-optic for the Audio?

I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 with fiber-optic audio from the DVD player and
Component Video connected directly to the TV [since the DSP-A1 doesn't
support component video switching]. This gives me the best Video and Audio
playback with my gear. I'm considering upgrading the TV and the new TV has
HDMI, I'll upgrade the DVD player to a progressive scan w/HDMI connection on
it too, but I can't do HDMI audio switching so I was wanting to be sure I
can by-pass the AUDIO in HDMI and stick with my fiber-optic for audio from
the DVD into the Integrated Amp [DSP-A1].

Is this possible or am I stuck with D/A conversion component video to
preserve my high-qualify audio.

Old October 30th 04, 07:25 AM
dg

Most TVs have a setting to disable the built in speakers. If you do that,
you can just run your DVD optical cable to your receiver and your done.

Also, the DVD players I have seen with digital out are DVI not HDMI. A guy
uses an adapter cable to go from DVI to HDMI.

Also, the DVD player you choose (if it has HDMI) may have a setting to
disable the audio output on HDMI, that way you can just run your optical.

But really, what would be wrong with hooking up both? The TV sound should
be in sync with your optical receiver sound right?

Until you have the DVD player in hand, really you can only guess.

--Dan

Old October 31st 04, 12:16 AM

The audio track coming out of a HDMI is about as usefull as tits on a boar
hog, as we're fond of saying around here
Just watch your system as you've been doing. And if nessesary turen down the
sound on your tv
And please post as to the improvment of DVI over componet, if any. I'm
thinking about upgrading and was wondering if getting rid of the componet
switching on my receiver was worth it. Currently I'm getting by with one
cable to my Tv, would using dvi/hdmi be worth it? I understand you get rid
of a few D/A stages with dvi, which couldnt hurt