Digital quality of streamed radio

Old Today, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

Default Digital quality of streamed radio

On 17/11/2018 17:24, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 17/11/2018 09:34, Java Jive wrote:

I have had VLC installed on XP for yonks.

You're very brave connecting an XP machine to the Internet. Distinct
lack of security patches.

Actually it's not normally used to connect to the internet, this w7
laptop is my principal PC and therefore the one that's mostly connected
to the internet. However, I am prepared to use either of the two XP
laptops to connect to sites that I trust, such as the BBC. Also, I've
ensured, as backups against this one going down, that both of them can
if necessary run GetIPlayer, and, again, as the most recent official
installers do not support XP, I can provide instructions for doing this
if it would be of interest. Alternatively, I mailed them to the
GetIPlayer mailing list a few months back.

When they pull the plug on Win7 I'll likely switch to Linux. There's not
much I need now that's Windows only. My main machine at work is Ubuntu,
and I have a Windows laptop for those odd exceptions.

+1
Old Today, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
On 17/11/2018 17:24, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 17/11/2018 09:34, Java Jive wrote:

I have had VLC installed on XP for yonks.

You're very brave connecting an XP machine to the Internet. Distinct lack
of security patches.

Actually it's not normally used to connect to the internet, this w7 laptop
is my principal PC and therefore the one that's mostly connected to the
internet. However, I am prepared to use either of the two XP laptops to
connect to sites that I trust, such as the BBC

I have an XP PC which I never connect to the internet but which I use for
digitising analogue video (VHS or output of Sky box) because the PCI card in
it gives much better results (less prominent timing jitter, less flicker on
saturated colours) than the USB adaptor that I bought for use with my
Windows 7 laptop. The card does not have Windows 7 or 10 drivers. It is
tempting to connect it to the LAN so I can transfer recordings to another PC
for editing out commercials etc and long-term storage, but I use a memory
stick or external HDD just in case.

It is debatable whether it is easier to move XP PC, monitor, keyboard/mouse
and cables downstairs to the Sky box, or to disentangle the cables from the
Sky box and disconnect them all to take the Sky box upstairs for digitising
something :-)

The problem with the card, which I often forget when I do another film etc,
is that it has a 50:50 chance of "crossfiring" - digitising the second field
of one frame with the first field of the following frame, which gives rather
jerky movement on pans. I have to start it, take a copy of the output to
check, and restart it if necessary. And I need to make sure there is overlap
at the end of each 4 GB file (it automatically inserts a break at 4 GB, no
doubt because of FAT32-on-Windows restrictions. If I simply join the two
files, there is a gap of about a second ;-(

But it's still better than the USB adaptor, whose only advantage is that it
is not fussy about copy-protection on VHS pre-recorded tapes - for the rare
ones that I've wanted to transfer to a "modern" format. You'd think that a
well-known brand of analogue and digital TV adaptors would produce better
results than it does: it's very sensitive to (and exaggerates) any timing
errors on VHS, and makes strong purples and cyans really throb.