Don't be fooled.

Old January 13th 19, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Don't be fooled.

"Pamela" wrote in message
On 09:20 12 Jan 2019, "tim..." wrote in
:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'm surprised this still goes on, as if one takes it to the obvious end
result, if google cannot spot fake apps how can it stop malware loaded
ones that steal data or hold a users device to ransom?

I guess the adware side is sometimes turned ablind eye to as Google make
their living from adverts.

I downloaded a File manager that came bundled with some Advert virus.

I didn't like the File manger so I un-installed it, but the Advert Virus
remained, popping up its trash whenever I swiped in some TBD direction

I had to do a restore factory setting to get rid of the dammed thing

tim

Did you try utilities (such as (Norton Clean or ES File Explorer) which
offer to clean residual files after an app is uninstalled?

It's not a residual file

it's an executable

tim

Old January 13th 19, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 13/01/2019 09:58, charles wrote:
Councils are not allowed to use cloud services hosted outside the EU.

Why? If the necessary contracts and certifications are in place?

https://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/for-government/

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
What does worry me a little is that google are trying to break into the
education market and already have a number of UK councils using their
software and services. Fine as long as they protect the data and do not
use it for things unintended, but it is a worry that they will probably
have all our residential addresses and other contact details due to the
way the council and google seem to be integrating. Of course on health
it can be used for good in that a sudden surge in searches for flu etc,
in a given area can mean that its on the rise before anyone else knows
and allow preparation of more resources.

Old January 14th 19, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 14:54:40 UTC, David Wade wrote:
On 13/01/2019 09:58, charles wrote:
Councils are not allowed to use cloud services hosted outside the EU.

Why? If the necessary contracts and certifications are in place?

https://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/for-government/

Under GDPR data cannot be moved to jurisdictions not subject to GDPR (e.g. USA where data protection is lax). This rules out Dropbox and I thought Google Drive, however Microsoft One drive is hosted in the EU and compliant.
Old January 14th 19, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , R. Mark
Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 14:54:40 UTC, David Wade wrote:
On 13/01/2019 09:58, charles wrote:
Councils are not allowed to use cloud services hosted outside the EU.

Why? If the necessary contracts and certifications are in place?

https://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/for-government/

Under GDPR data cannot be moved to jurisdictions not subject to GDPR
(e.g. USA where data protection is lax). This rules out Dropbox and I
thought Google Drive, however Microsoft One drive is hosted in the EU and
compliant.

I think that MS one drive "might" be hosted in the EU. But they will have
servers outside the EU. How do you know which one you are using?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 14th 19, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

charles wrote:

I think that MS one drive "might" be hosted in the EU. But they will have
servers outside the EU. How do you know which one you are using?

You choose a country/region (with corresponding price) as part of setup.
Old January 14th 19, 01:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 14 January 2019 12:31:15 UTC, charles wrote:
In article , R. Mark
Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 14:54:40 UTC, David Wade wrote:
On 13/01/2019 09:58, charles wrote:
Councils are not allowed to use cloud services hosted outside the EU.

Why? If the necessary contracts and certifications are in place?

https://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/for-government/

Under GDPR data cannot be moved to jurisdictions not subject to GDPR
(e.g. USA where data protection is lax). This rules out Dropbox and I
thought Google Drive, however Microsoft One drive is hosted in the EU and
compliant.

I think that MS one drive "might" be hosted in the EU. But they will have
servers outside the EU. How do you know which one you are using?

I don't, but it seems the information commissioner is satisfied that UK data will remain in the EU / Canada.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Old January 14th 19, 02:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Andy Burns
wrote:
charles wrote:

I think that MS one drive "might" be hosted in the EU. But they will
have servers outside the EU. How do you know which one you are using?

You choose a country/region (with corresponding price) as part of setup.

and can they guarantee that's where your data will go?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 14th 19, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

charles wrote:

I think that MS one drive "might" be hosted in the EU. But they will
have servers outside the EU. How do you know which one you are using?

You choose a country/region (with corresponding price) as part of setup.

and can they guarantee that's where your data will go?

Yes, it's then tied to that datacentre.

Old January 15th 19, 10:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 14:54:40 UTC, David Wade wrote:
On 13/01/2019 09:58, charles wrote:
Councils are not allowed to use cloud services hosted outside the EU.

Why? If the necessary contracts and certifications are in place?

https://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/for-government/

Under GDPR data cannot be moved to jurisdictions not subject to GDPR
(e.g. USA where data protection is lax). This rules out Dropbox and I
thought Google Drive, however Microsoft One drive is hosted in the EU and compliant.

There are paid for options to have EU hosted Dropbox - I use such.