Zipper works wonderfully.

Old November 15th 05, 06:36 PM
Jack Zwick

Default Zipper works wonderfully.

To configure an HDVR2 for extraction:

1/2 hour to create the Zipper CD, 1/2 hour to move the TiVo drive to a
PC and run Zipper, and an hour to debug and figure out I needed to add
Ethernet Driver calls in the rc.sysinit.author file. Then when its
running ftp the Tweak files, and run that. Finally ftp tserver. Awesome.

Better than sleeper, although Sleeper works on 4.01

Hardest thing about it is recalling vi keystroke editing.
Old November 15th 05, 09:50 PM
SINNER

* Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

To configure an HDVR2 for extraction:

1/2 hour to create the Zipper CD, 1/2 hour to move the TiVo drive to a
PC and run Zipper, and an hour to debug and figure out I needed to add
Ethernet Driver calls in the rc.sysinit.author file. Then when its
running ftp the Tweak files, and run that. Finally ftp tserver. Awesome.

Better than sleeper, although Sleeper works on 4.01

Hardest thing about it is recalling vi keystroke editing.

You only need a few

ESC enter command mode
i insert
SHIFT ZZ save and quit

--
David
Old November 15th 05, 10:08 PM
Seth

"SINNER" wrote in message
. 130...
SHIFT ZZ save and quit

Never tried that one. I always do a ":w!" to write the changes (and get
acknowledgement) followed by a ":q!" to quit.

Old November 15th 05, 10:40 PM
SINNER

* Seth wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

"SINNER" wrote in message
. 130...
SHIFT ZZ save and quit

Never tried that one. I always do a ":w!" to write the changes (and get
acknowledgement) followed by a ":q!" to quit.

You could combine them to

:wq!

--
David
Old November 15th 05, 10:42 PM
Seth

. 130...

"SINNER" wrote in message
. 130...
SHIFT ZZ save and quit

Never tried that one. I always do a ":w!" to write the changes (and get
acknowledgement) followed by a ":q!" to quit.

You could combine them to

:wq!

Yeah, but as mentioned, I like the acknowledgement of the file being written
before I exit.

Old November 16th 05, 12:49 AM
SINNER

* Seth wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
. 130...

"SINNER" wrote in message
. 130...
SHIFT ZZ save and quit

Never tried that one. I always do a ":w!" to write the changes (and get
acknowledgement) followed by a ":q!" to quit.

You could combine them to

:wq!

Yeah, but as mentioned, I like the acknowledgement of the file being written
before I exit.

If the w fails it will not exit, no need to for acknowlegment.

You trust that light turns off in the fridge when you close the door
right
--
David
Tu bi or not tu bi

HAND -- Render: VocÍ se HAND ?
Old November 16th 05, 12:51 AM
Seth

"SINNER" wrote in message
* Seth wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
. 130...

"SINNER" wrote in message
. 130...
SHIFT ZZ save and quit

Never tried that one. I always do a ":w!" to write the changes (and
get
acknowledgement) followed by a ":q!" to quit.

You could combine them to

:wq!

Yeah, but as mentioned, I like the acknowledgement of the file being
written
before I exit.

If the w fails it will not exit, no need to for acknowlegment.

That's good to know.

You trust that light turns off in the fridge when you close the door
right

My food doesn't spoil if it doesn't.

Old November 16th 05, 01:48 AM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, SINNER said:
If the w fails it will not exit, no need to for acknowlegment.

Not true in all versions of vi. "True Unix" vi will fail on the write
and still exit, at least on some error conditions. I lost class
assignments in college because I was over quota, the disk with my home
directory was full, etc. because of ":wq".

Also, the original poster had ":w!" and ":q!" and you said ":wq!". The
"!" means to take the action even if there are errors. ":w!" will
overwrite read-only files, ":q!" will quit even if the file has been
changed since the last write, and ":wq!" will try to write the current
file and quit (quitting even if there is an error).
--
Chris Adams
Old November 16th 05, 01:54 AM
Seth

"Chris Adams" wrote in message
Once upon a time, SINNER said:
If the w fails it will not exit, no need to for acknowlegment.

Not true in all versions of vi. "True Unix" vi will fail on the write
and still exit, at least on some error conditions. I lost class
assignments in college because I was over quota, the disk with my home
directory was full, etc. because of ":wq".

Also, the original poster had ":w!" and ":q!" and you said ":wq!". The
"!" means to take the action even if there are errors. ":w!" will
overwrite read-only files, ":q!" will quit even if the file has been
changed since the last write, and ":wq!" will try to write the current
file and quit (quitting even if there is an error).

Well then I'll just stick to my original method. Write, see verification,
then quit.

Old November 16th 05, 02:00 AM
Stephen Harris

SINNER wrote:
[ re :wq ]

If the w fails it will not exit, no need to for acknowlegment.

This is normally true, but one version of vi (possibly the one on the
tivo itself as part of "busybox") caught me out and quit without saving
(I believe I'd forgot to remount rw).

--
Stephen Harris

The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.