Antenna height if terrain is flat

Old May 14th 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
NadCixelsyd

Default Antenna height if terrain is flat

I live 48 miles (SE) from the Boston TV transmitters. From my house,
there are nothing for the first 1/2 mile as I live next to open
water. In the direction of the TV towers, there is nothing over 100
feet high for at least 5 miles. Is the antenna height a factor at all
or can I simply fasten the antenna to the side of my house?

Old May 14th 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Richard Harison

My guess is that at 48 miles, the horizon might be a factor, so it would
depend on the transmitter height. I used to live 40 miles from NYC, with a
lot of that distance covered by the Long Island Sound. An attic mounted
Yagi pulled in the NY stations with decent reception. And those were the
analog days!

--
All the Best,
Richard Harison
ups.com...

Old May 14th 07, 08:56 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell

On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:03:58 -0700, NadCixelsyd wrote:

I live 48 miles (SE) from the Boston TV transmitters. From my house,
there are nothing for the first 1/2 mile as I live next to open
water. In the direction of the TV towers, there is nothing over 100
feet high for at least 5 miles. Is the antenna height a factor at all
or can I simply fasten the antenna to the side of my house?

I'd guess most trnasmitters are at least 1000' higher than surrounding
terrain, so in general all that would matter is that there is nothing
close blocking your antenna in that direction.

Old May 15th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Cass Lewart

NadCixelsyd ) wrote:
: I live 48 miles (SE) from the Boston TV transmitters. From my house,
: there are nothing for the first 1/2 mile as I live next to open
: water. In the direction of the TV towers, there is nothing over 100
: feet high for at least 5 miles. Is the antenna height a factor at all
: or can I simply fasten the antenna to the side of my house?

The higher the antenna the better will be your reception. Would suggest
some experimentation. There is a simple line of sight formula relating
distance and antenna height. I once derived it but can not find it.

Cass
Old May 17th 07, 03:51 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Papa Frank

You will probably get Chan 4.1 2.1, 2.2 very strong, 5.1 7.1 erratic, 25.1
and 38.1 week I use 64.1 out of providence for Fox. Sound like you are close
to Plymouth !

Plasma height Bill UK digital tv 43 December 20th 04 11:38 PM
Screen Height Julian UK home cinema 2 October 27th 04 11:58 PM
Signal strength vs terrain vs distance Nick Dyer UK digital tv 9 March 3rd 04 10:29 PM
Height of transmitter Mark Carver UK digital tv 0 February 9th 04 07:32 PM
Height of transmitter Mark Carver UK digital tv 0 February 9th 04 07:32 PM