powered speakers vs subwoofer

Old August 30th 03, 12:25 AM
fj

Default powered speakers vs subwoofer

Yesterday I drove 80 miles to a home theater store to look at a pair
of Paradigm Sudio 60 speakers. I spoke with a salesman and told him I
was just starting to piece together a HT setup, and I wanted speakers
for about 75% music, and 25% home theater. The salesman there
immediately wanted to show me a pair of Paradigm Monitor 90P's, which
have built-in 140 watt powered subwoofers. He went on and on, raving
about how great they were, and how much tighter and responsive the
bass was. He told me I would be much happier with a pair of 90P's
than with the Studio 60's, because with the 60's I would then need to
buy a seperate subwoofer, and the combination of the 60's and the
subwoofer still would not sound as good as the 90P's when listnening
to music or for HT. Turns out he didn't have the Studio 60's set up
in the store, "but maybe had a pair in back somewhere". (Which makes
me wonder if that's the reason he was pushing the 90P's). And he had
the 90P's in a HT setup and didn't seem to want to volunteer to play
any music CD's through the 90P's. I ended up leaving without really
getting to listnen to the 90P's.

So my question is whether anyone has any opinions on whether the
90P's would sound as good as the 60's for music, or the 60's with a
sub for HT? I think I remember reading something about staying away
from powered speakers. Or maybe a better question would be whether
speakers with powered subs sound as good as non-powered speakers for
music, or HT? Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 30th 03, 05:35 AM
Pug Fugley

The Monitor 90P is a fine speaker indeed.

However, even on their best day they never will come close to being in the
same class as the Studio 60's.

If your primary concern is music, get the 60's over the 90P's.

BUT if it were me, I would get the Studio 40's on proper stands. I don't
like floorstanders.

om...

Old August 30th 03, 06:16 PM
fj

However, even on their best day they never will come close to being in the
same class as the Studio 60's.

If your primary concern is music, get the 60's over the 90P's.

Many thanks to both of you for the input. I feel a lot better about the 60's now.

BUT if it were me, I would get the Studio 40's on proper stands. I don't
like floorstanders.

Pug,

But, why the 40's on the stands? As opposed to the 60's which are floorstander's.

thanks,

fj
Old August 30th 03, 06:41 PM
Pug Fugley

"fj" wrote in message
om...
However, even on their best day they never will come close to being in

the
same class as the Studio 60's.

If your primary concern is music, get the 60's over the 90P's.

Many thanks to both of you for the input. I feel a lot better about the

60's now.

BUT if it were me, I would get the Studio 40's on proper stands. I don't
like floorstanders.

Pug,

But, why the 40's on the stands? As opposed to the 60's which are

floorstander's.

thanks,

Two main reasons:

1) I don't like floorstanders because they couple to the floor and the sound
gets muffled. I don't want my speakers touching the floor. I have my 40's on
100 lb stands to there is no coupling to the floor, and no energy is
transmitted to the floor.

2) The 40's on 24" stands put the tweeter at the ideal height. The 80's by
themselves just are not tall enough. You want the tweeters at ear level when
you're sitting.

Old August 31st 03, 08:15 AM
Frank Ball

In article you wrote:
}
} I own a pair of the version 2 Studio 60's in a complete home theater
} system, along with the matching Studio center and two 20's for the rear,

Me too.

} and I can tell you with confidence, you don't need a subwoofer with the
} 60's at all. Contrary to what some people have claimed, the 60's have
} perfectly adequate bass output, flat all the way down to 40Hz, which is
} much deeper than most people realize. They extend down to 30Hz, but with
} a gradual drop in output.

60s are pretty flat down to 30Hz in my room (which isn't huge). They
drop off fast below that. I usually listen to music in "direct" mode
(no sub), and they do fine.

} A sub will add more bass, but not better bass, unless you get one of the
} best subs available that can reach down below 30Hz with accuracy and
} authority. Of course, that will cost a few bucks.

I have a Paradigm Servo 15, which fits that description.

} Personally, I don't use a sub for music or movies at all anymore and
} have long since sold my sub. I used to have a pair of bookshelf speakers
} and a sub was required, but since upgrading to the 60's, I feel I don't
} need the sub anymore.

For music I could live without the sub, but not for movies. If you like
action or sci-fi movies a sub that goes down to 20Hz is a must.
If you are on a budget the sub could be put off until later.

Frank Ball