ITV to decide future of digital satellite

Old November 15th 04, 06:17 PM
{{{{Welcome}}}}

Default ITV to decide future of digital satellite

"Former BBC director-general Greg Dyke says ITV is about to make a move which
could decide the future of digital satellite television in the UK."

"Dyke says ITV currently pays £17m per annum for Sky carriage and encryption
services. ITV's Sky bill could fall to zero if it goes totally unencrypted, or
"at the most £2m if they do what the BBC did and go unencrypted while buying a
service from Sky to ensure that Sky homes receive the right regional
services"."

Greg Dyke also claims the encryption deal ends this weekend (eg the November
the 20th date we keep hearing).

Full details: http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=446

--
Current Items For Sale: http://www.bextech.me.uk/forsale
For A Great Discussion: http://www.bextech.org.uk

Old November 15th 04, 06:37 PM
DAB sounds worse than FM

{{{{Welcome}}}} wrote:

Full details: http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=446

Can anybody find the original article on http://www.independent.co.uk/?

Find the cheapest MP3 player, Freeview and DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp3_players.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...tal_radios.htm

Old November 15th 04, 06:46 PM
Michael Porter

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
{{{{Welcome}}}} wrote:

Full details: http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=446

Can anybody find the original article on http://www.independent.co.uk/?

yes go to
http://news.independent.co.uk/media/...p?story=583065
Old November 15th 04, 06:57 PM
-=

{{{{Welcome}}}} wrote:
"Former BBC director-general Greg Dyke says ITV is about to make a
move which could decide the future of digital satellite television in
the UK."

"Dyke says ITV currently pays £17m per annum for Sky carriage and
encryption services. ITV's Sky bill could fall to zero if it goes
totally unencrypted, or "at the most £2m if they do what the BBC did
and go unencrypted while buying a service from Sky to ensure that Sky
homes receive the right regional services"."

Greg Dyke also claims the encryption deal ends this weekend (eg the
November the 20th date we keep hearing).

Full details: http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=446

Can anyone remind me why the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 paid to be encrypted in the
first place? Why didn't they all go FTA from day one?

Old November 15th 04, 06:59 PM
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:57:51 GMT, "-= a q u a b u b b l e =-"
wrote:

Can anyone remind me why the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 paid to be encrypted in the
first place? Why didn't they all go FTA from day one?

Scared about rights related issues, particularly with US studios. The
BBC has proved that that is not an issue.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

Old November 15th 04, 07:13 PM
Aztech

"{{{{Welcome}}}}" wrote in message
"Former BBC director-general Greg Dyke says ITV is about to make a move which
could decide the future of digital satellite television in the UK."

"Dyke says ITV currently pays £17m per annum for Sky carriage and encryption
services. ITV's Sky bill could fall to zero if it goes totally unencrypted, or
"at the most £2m if they do what the BBC did and go unencrypted while buying a
service from Sky to ensure that Sky homes receive the right regional
services"."

Hrm, it could never be zero because of the EPG costs which are also doubled if
you don't take a conditional access package... this is done brazenly against
Ofcom's "fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory basis", not to mention the
tariff of charges supposedly enforced by the Office of Fair Trading (whenever
they wake up).

Of course there's always uplink and transponder costs, nothing to do with BSkyB
though.

Az.

Old November 15th 04, 07:19 PM
David Marshall

-= a q u a b u b b l e wrote:
Can anyone remind me why the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 paid to be encrypted in the
first place? Why didn't they all go FTA from day one?

Because "in those days" there was no satellite at the Astra 2 position that
didn't spill over outside the UK. Unless they were prepared to acquire
pan-Europe English language rights for the content they were buying in
(where they were even available), they had to encrypt.

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Old November 15th 04, 07:33 PM
Aztech

"-= a q u a b u b b l e =-" wrote in
message ...
{{{{Welcome}}}} wrote:
"Former BBC director-general Greg Dyke says ITV is about to make a
move which could decide the future of digital satellite television in
the UK."

"Dyke says ITV currently pays £17m per annum for Sky carriage and
encryption services. ITV's Sky bill could fall to zero if it goes
totally unencrypted, or "at the most £2m if they do what the BBC did
and go unencrypted while buying a service from Sky to ensure that Sky
homes receive the right regional services"."

Greg Dyke also claims the encryption deal ends this weekend (eg the
November the 20th date we keep hearing).

Full details: http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=446

Can anyone remind me why the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 paid to be encrypted in the
first place? Why didn't they all go FTA from day one?

Because back in 1998 all the broadcast were on a Europe wide beam thus requiring
some form of conditional access (crypto) to restrict them to the UK, and that's
needed because broadcasters only hold rights to a given country. Only one of the
four satellites used for SkyDigital at 28e has a tight focus on the British
Isles, and that bird (Astra 2D) didn't launch until late 2000, a couple of years
after the launch of SkyDigital.

Astra 2D is also a relatively 'cheap' satellite with limited capacity, mainly
launched as a stop-gap. It only has 16 transponders, the reason why they didn't
employ a Europe wide beam like the rest of the satellites was because its output
powers are quite low by modern standards, it manages less than 40 watts over
quite a small footprint, the rest of the fleet at 28e put out over twice as much
power over a Europe wide footprint. (Astra 2C was nicked for 19e)

It's focus on the UK & Eire is due to technical shortcuts borne out of
necessity, this had unintended consequences when the Beeb wanted to stick a
couple of fingers up at BSkyB, arguing a limited footprint is good enough for
rights holders, thus eschewing the need for conditional access. ITV also hold
capacity on 2D and C4 has just reserved the option on a couple of transponders.

If you need any more longwinded answers to simple questions let me know

Az.

Old November 15th 04, 08:02 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:17:46 -0000, "{{{{Welcome}}}}"
wrote:

| "Former BBC director-general Greg Dyke says ITV is about to make a move which
| could decide the future of digital satellite television in the UK."
|
| "Dyke says ITV currently pays £17m per annum for Sky carriage and encryption
| services. ITV's Sky bill could fall to zero if it goes totally unencrypted, or
| "at the most £2m if they do what the BBC did and go unencrypted while buying a
| service from Sky to ensure that Sky homes receive the right regional
| services"."
|
| Greg Dyke also claims the encryption deal ends this weekend (eg the November
| the 20th date we keep hearing).
|
| Full details: http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=446

Which explains the timing of $ky's FreeSat service

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at