Must sign in to iPLayer

Old November 8th 18, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_3_]

Default Must sign in to iPLayer

On 07/11/2018 22:31, Marland wrote:
Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.

Thanks, I have a Humax video-recorder but that might work, I'll try it.

I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

But I did sign in (right pain, having to do it on another device and then copy a code across).

The result is that the iPlayer on the TV does display suggestions (none of which I'm remotely interesting in, so much for AI) and also shows all the iPlayer programmes that we've finished watching, as if we might want to watch them again. This means that the one we're currently part way through is just one among a long list, thus quite hard to find. I've tried to work out how to delete items from this list, but without success. I think it might have been better not to log in, but too late now, as there seems to be no way to un-log in. Ah well, another 1st world problem.

--
Clive Page
Old November 8th 18, 10:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Jeff Layman wrote:

Oh, well, is it possible to set up an account with false info?

Surely it's trivially easy, they don't require entry of any
particularly sensitive information (so you can pretty easily use
someone else's information) do they?

.... and do they even bother to check *any* of the information? If not
just enter random values.

--
Chris Green
·
Old November 8th 18, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 08/11/18 09:38, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

You can delete your account. They still keep all your info, of course,
even if you delete the account, so you'd have to create another account
with a different name if you wanted to use iPlayer again.

--

Jeff
Old November 8th 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 06:44:23 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

I remember when all you had to do to a television set was switch it on.

That's what I do with mine. It still seems to work the same way.
Old November 8th 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on November 22, 2018.

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 19:41:03 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered, albeit apparently only once. If
it is only possible to enter a code through the Firefox app on the TV,
does that mean there is a shared cookie somewhere (that is set up with
FF and used by iPlayer), or was using the iPlayer app in the past
actually viewing programmes via FF without the FF interface showing?

While in UK last week, I tried to watch episodes of Trust that I had missed via
iPlayer. The subtitles stopped after the first 15 minutes on both episodes. I
tried other episodes that I had already seen and the subtitles stopped after 15
minutes on every episode.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old November 8th 18, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W[_2_]

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 08:49:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

But not for much longer.
The bbc have asked the government to abolish the free licence I gather.
Did you also see how many black and white licences they have out there? How
can this be as no black and white tv can get digital to my knowledge.
It seems to me that if blind people want to be cheapskate, we merely get a
b/w one instead of the blind one.
Brian

The TV can't get it directly but an attached Freeview box with RF
output will.
Dave W
Old November 8th 18, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W[_2_]

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 09:38:39 +0000, Clive Page wrote:

[...]

On my iPlayer screen there is a section called 'Continue watching'
with all the programmes I've already watched. Many of these have only
5 mins left to run as I exited before all the trailers. There is a
facility on each icon to delete it, which I did, and so no more
'Continue watching' icons shown.
--
Dave W

Old November 8th 18, 06:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

But not for much longer.
The bbc have asked the government to abolish the free licence I gather.

That use to be paid by the government. Similarly World Service used to
be paid for by the Foreign Office. Maybe the BBC will want to close that
down. (It's not very "worldly" these days: just another radio channel
where people have to mention which "Manchester" (&c.) they are referring
to.)

Did you also see how many black and white licences they have out there? How
can this be as no black and white tv can get digital to my knowledge.
It seems to me that if blind people want to be cheapskate, we merely get a
b/w one instead of the blind one.
Brian

The TV can't get it directly but an attached Freeview box with RF
output will.

Even though the STB can receive colour. I think VCR owners with b/w sets
still had to get a colour licence, though I suppose they were producing
tapes that /could/ have been played through a colour TV.

I wonder who checks that these b/w licence holders are honest?

--
Max Demian