Must sign in to iPLayer

Old November 7th 18, 08:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Must sign in to iPLayer

I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered, albeit apparently only once. If
it is only possible to enter a code through the Firefox app on the TV,
does that mean there is a shared cookie somewhere (that is set up with
FF and used by iPlayer), or was using the iPlayer app in the past
actually viewing programmes via FF without the FF interface showing?

--

Jeff
Old November 7th 18, 11:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Jeff Layman wrote:
I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered

Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.
I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

GH

Old November 8th 18, 12:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 07/11/18 22:31, Marland wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered

Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.
I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

Unfortunately this does not work. The back button just gives a message
telling me I am about to exit iPlayer and asking if I want to cancel or
exit. If I choose cancel, I am returned to the sign in screen. If I
choose exit, I am taken out of the apps and returned to normal TV.

--

Jeff
Old November 8th 18, 12:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Jeff Layman wrote:
I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered

Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.
I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

Unfortunately this does not work. The back button just gives a message
telling me I am about to exit iPlayer and asking if I want to cancel or
exit. If I choose cancel, I am returned to the sign in screen. If I
choose exit, I am taken out of the apps and returned to normal TV.

That’s a shame,
However I made a mistake when I said it was the Samsung TV forgetting it is
not a smart model.
It is the you view box (a free of tie one,not BT) that we access the
various catch up services with.
It says the IPlayer is the beta version and as it works fine I have never
bothered to switch back to the ordinary version . There must be some time
measurement involved as having performed the “back”option subsequent visits
later in the evening don’t ask for the sign up.

GH

Old November 8th 18, 12:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

On 07/11/2018 22:31, Marland wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered

Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.
I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

GH

I don't understand why after having gone through this some time ago why
it is asking again. Especially as I now am old enough to have a free
license :-)

Bill.

Old November 8th 18, 07:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On 7 Nov 2018 22:31:06 GMT, Marland
wrote:

I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered

Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.
I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

Similarly with my Amazon streaming box, for a while it allowed me to
use the "back" button to miss out all the crap, and then one day it
didn't. The only way to make it do anything was to opt for the sign in
procedure which showed a number on the TV screen and told me to go to
a webpage on a computer and type the number in. I've only had to do
this once, but a few days after that the BBC webpage on the computer
wouldn't let me past a picture of David Attenborough until I'd created
a login name and password. Mostly it now just lets me go straight to
the webpage but occasionally shows me David Attenborough first, the
choice being apparently random. Similarly with the weather, which is
sometimes the London weather until I click my location from a list of
places previously selected, and sometimes the list is blank and I have
to type the name in again. It's unpredictable and all very tiresome. I
remember when all you had to do to a television set was switch it on.

Rod.

---

Old November 8th 18, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

There has to be cookies doing it, as finally Iplayer knows who I am when I
go directly to a page.
Also they seem to be allowing radio to download again without the password
part. I think this is because its now under Sounds banner not I player.

news

Old November 8th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well then the app on the tv will need updating. They already have apologies
to the blind that the current player has no way to select the AD version of
the playback, so I guess somebody, somewhere is beavering away on an update,
but do you not think all of this should have been coordinated between the
bbc and the web site and the set makers?
It is not rocket science after all.

Old November 8th 18, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

But not for much longer.
The bbc have asked the government to abolish the free licence I gather.
Did you also see how many black and white licences they have out there? How
can this be as no black and white tv can get digital to my knowledge.
It seems to me that if blind people want to be cheapskate, we merely get a
b/w one instead of the blind one.

news
Jeff Layman wrote:
I see that it is now a requirement to sign in to use iPlayer.

Not sure how this will work with the iPlayer app on my Panasonic smart
TV as it asks for a code to be entered

Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.
I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

GH

I don't understand why after having gone through this some time ago why it
is asking again. Especially as I now am old enough to have a free license
:-)

Bill.

Old November 8th 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

To misquote from Start Trek, "It's not a television set as we knew it,
Jim". It's just another computer with all sorts of hoops to jump through
now, just to satisfy the requirement that "We want your data". For
example, when you set up an account, it asks for your date of birth, but
adds "If you’re 18 or over, we’ll only store your year of birth, not the
day and month"! Then why ask for day and month (I know it's supposedly
for those under 18, so it knows when they reach 18)? It doesn't take a
million lines of code to ask for the year first, and then jump the day
and month fields if it's more than 18 years from the current date. Lots
of rubbish he
https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/account/why-do-i-have-to-provide-personal-info-when-i-register
and here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/privacy/privacy-policy/
The latter is particularly interesting, as from the above:

"a. Information that you give us

We might ask for your name and contact details,.."

Might? You can't sign in without having previously provided that
information.

and he
https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/strictly-necessary-cookies/ (there
are 56 "strictly necessary" cookies!)

One cookie in particular keeps getting rewritten. That's "ecos.dt",
which according to info the BBC provides "Stores information about
Online Quality Survey." What the hell does that mean. You can delete it,
but as soon as you do it is back again. I've now blocked all cookies
from the BBC (you have to remember to block https as well as http). It
will be interesting to see what functionality is blocked on this laptop
(there is no facility for cookie control on the smart tv AFAICT). And
you thought Google was bad...

I've also read that signing in isn't supposed to be required to use
iPlayer for CBBC and CBeebies. How, pray, is that supposed to work when
you can't even get past the sign-in screen to access iPlayer?

One thing I don't understand is why it has just changed to require a
sign-in? Was there some arrangement between FreePlay and the BBC to
allow smart TVs to access iPlayer without signing in until now? It's
been on the cards for well over a year that a sign-in would be required,
and iPlayer itself has been carrying the warning for at least a couple
of months.

Oh, well, is it possible to set up an account with false info?

--

Jeff