Youtube needs a new name

Old October 29th 18, 12:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Youtube needs a new name

On 29/10/2018 10:35, Roderick Stewart wrote:

By the same logic Cinemas need to be remaned too ?

They'll probably change it the same day everybody stops talking about
"filming" things with electronic cameras.

My nightly enquiry as Hil looks at the programme guide: "Is there
anything worth taping?"

Incidentally I cleared a shelf in the workshop yesterday, to make room
for a new CCTV monitor. I put a pile of VHS tapes and a pile of
pre-recorded DVDs by the door, ready for the dustbin. Was I right to do
this?

Old October 29th 18, 12:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Youlden[_7_]

On 29/10/2018 09:23, Jeff Gaines wrote:
It would have to be something catchy like "youflatscreen" :-)

On 29/10/2018 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

After all, presumable the tube bit was when mostÂ* displays were in
fact CRT based.

What could they call it instead I wonder?

MYVID?
Brian

Conversely, Vimeo is a good name - close to 'video' and 'me'.

--

Chris
Old October 29th 18, 12:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 29/10/2018 10:35, Roderick Stewart wrote:

By the same logic Cinemas need to be remaned too ?

They'll probably change it the same day everybody stops talking about
"filming" things with electronic cameras.

My nightly enquiry as Hil looks at the programme guide: "Is there anything
worth taping?"

Incidentally I cleared a shelf in the workshop yesterday, to make room for
a new CCTV monitor. I put a pile of VHS tapes and a pile of pre-recorded
DVDs by the door, ready for the dustbin. Was I right to do this?

Depends whether there was anything on them that you wanted to watch. I still
prefer to own DVDs and CDs for videos and music, rather than having to
download or stream films/music, and have to pay for each time I
watch/listen.

The recent publicity about John Lewis stopping selling DVD players was
misinterpreted by most newspaper articles as meaning that everyone nowadays
accesses films online. All they were doing was stopping selling devices that
can *only* play DVDs and cannot also play BluRay. I'm surprised that any
manufacturers are still making DVD-only players.

Old October 29th 18, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 11:28:08 -0000
"NY" wrote:
The recent publicity about John Lewis stopping selling DVD players was
misinterpreted by most newspaper articles as meaning that everyone nowadays
accesses films online. All they were doing was stopping selling devices that
can *only* play DVDs and cannot also play BluRay. I'm surprised that any
manufacturers are still making DVD-only players.

There's quite a few still making CD only players. Usually with a substantial
markup and lots of fatuous pseduoscience marketing to reel in the audiophools
and their wallets.

Old October 29th 18, 07:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
G r o g

On 29/10/2018 10:35, Max Demian wrote:
On 29/10/2018 09:23, NY wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 29/10/2018 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
After all, presumable the tube bit was when mostÂ* displays were in
fact CRT
based.

By the same logic Cinemas need to be remaned too ?

No, they show moving images - cinema from the Greek word from which we
also kinetic, meaning moving. So "cinema" and the US "movie" both
relate to the same thing that distinguishes them from still
photographs. Whether that is as novel as it once was is another matter.

It's the British "film" that is the dubious term, as cellulose
nitrate/acetate (or whatever) films were used as much in still cameras
as cine cameras from 1900 onwards. And with digital techniques they
aren't much used for either.

And people still "tape" TV progs...
Old October 29th 18, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:51:01 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

After all, presumable the tube bit was when most* displays were in
fact CRT
based.

By the same logic Cinemas need to be remaned too ?

You could sort of concoct an explanation that 'tube' represents
'conduit', so You Tube is a conduit for your ideas.

I've heard the term "tubular" used in connection with surfing, in
which context I understand it means something or other, though I
couldn't tell you what, and I get the impression that those I've heard
to use it might not be sufficiently articulate to explain it properly.
But it definitely means something, definitely something or other, so
there may be a possible concoction there.

Rod.

---

Old October 29th 18, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 11:17:33 +0000, Chris Youlden
wrote:

Conversely, Vimeo is a good name - close to 'video' and 'me'.

Or a misprint for Vimto.

Rod.

---

Old October 29th 18, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Monday, 29 October 2018 19:33:41 UTC, Roderick Stewart wrote:
Conversely, Vimeo is a good name - close to 'video' and 'me'.

Or a misprint for Vimto.

Then there's xtube, which is like Cheeky Vimto

Owain

Old October 30th 18, 02:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On 29/10/2018 08:49, Mark Carver wrote:
On 29/10/2018 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
After all, presumable the tube bit was when most* displays were in
fact CRT
based.

By the same logic Cinemas need to be remaned too ?

You could sort of concoct an explanation that 'tube' represents
'conduit', so You Tube is a conduit for your ideas.

Bill

I thought of a more descriptive name for Facebook.

Two words, possibly preceded by "The" (as was "The Facebook"
originally)

Clue: Sir Walter Scott would have approved.

Suprisingly the .co.uk domain is available, the .com may be held to
ransom.

Answers on a postcard.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old October 30th 18, 10:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 29/10/2018 19:32, Roderick Stewart wrote:
I've heard the term "tubular" used in connection with surfing, in
which context I understand it means something or other,

It's a wave that's made a tubular shape.

Google for tube wave, and look at the images.

Andy