BBC HD not working on Freesat

Old October 23rd 18, 12:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W[_2_]

Default BBC HD not working on Freesat

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:22:02 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

Not for the first time in the last 7 days

are other mediums (media) broadcasting this signal?

tim

My Humax Freesat gets BBC News OK, but my Hitachi Freeview box shows
nothing on UHF channel 55 from Crystal Palace so no BBC News HD or
BBC4 HD. Channel 56 is fine. Any theories?
--
Dave W

Old October 23rd 18, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

wrote:

Not for the first time in the last 7 days

are other mediums (media) broadcasting this signal?

tim

My Humax Freesat gets BBC News OK, but my Hitachi Freeview box shows
nothing on UHF channel 55 from Crystal Palace so no BBC News HD or
BBC4 HD. Channel 56 is fine. Any theories?

Are you sure Ch 56 is fine, because that carries BBC 4 HD ?

--
Mark
Old October 23rd 18, 02:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 22 October 2018 20:05:34 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
Ways dishes have in my experience been damaged:
Idiotically installed less than two drunks high near a public footpath:
pulled down
Idiotically installed in a two foot wide alley at head height. The
postman threatened to sue.
Dish hidden behind a screen in the garden. Death by brush cutter.
Dish low down on a very old chimney stack. A falling pot bust it.
Customer pulling ivy off the wall pulled the dish off as well.
Dish on a balcony: vast dog jumped up and dislodged it.
Dish on wall: cast iron guttering fell on it.
Dish on mast to which someone then attached an overhead cable: dustbin
lorry went through with the body up, pulled the cable, broke the mast.
Dish on the wall above the pavement: a lorry came through and went on
the pavement and bent the reflector nearly double.
Dishes were on the flat roof of a shopping centre. The design of the
place included ornamental lattice towers at the front. Kids climbed up
and bust all the dishes.
Dish bent by window cleaner carrying his ladder.
Washing line attached by neighbour on static park pulled the dish round.
Attempts to clear snow from the dish caused the dish reflector to be
bent.
Customer doing a bit of DIY fell sideways and grabbed the dish. This
event affected the alignment of both the dish and the customer's hip.

Bill

Sounds like those laughable insurance claims as told by Jasper Carrot...

"Turned into the wrong drive and hit a satellite dish that I don't have!"

funny you should say that

this very afternoon, came up the stairs, turned into the wrong hallway and
tried to open a door with a doormat that I don't have (FTAOD I tried to open
the door with my key, the doormat was on the floor outside)

I've only lived here 5 years

tim

of your 85?
Old October 23rd 18, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MikeS

wrote:

Not for the first time in the last 7 days

are other mediums (media) broadcasting this signal?

tim

My Humax Freesat gets BBC News OK, but my Hitachi Freeview box shows
nothing on UHF channel 55 from Crystal Palace so no BBC News HD or
BBC4 HD. Channel 56 is fine. Any theories?

I have had the same problem with an old Technika Freeview HD STB since
CP changed frequencies. The TV is connected to the same aerial (after
the STB) and has 10/10 quality for both 55 and 56 so there is no issue
with signal strength.
Old October 23rd 18, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

MikeS wrote:

Dave W wrote:

Hitachi Freeview box shows
nothing on UHF channel 55 from Crystal Palace so no BBC News HD or
BBC4 HD. Channel 56 is fine. Any theories?

I have had the same problem with an old Technika Freeview HD STB since
CP changed frequencies. The TV is connected to the same aerial (after
the STB) and has 10/10 quality for both 55 and 56 so there is no issue
with signal strength.

Several people (here and elsewhere) do seem to reporting issues with 55
and/or 56, given that the guard intervals changed at the same time as
the frequency, and those two muxes are now on a separate "COM78
National" network, is it worth trying a full factory reset, instead of
just a retune?

Old October 23rd 18, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/10/2018 13:55, Andy Burns wrote:

Several people (here and elsewhere) do seem to reporting issues with 55
and/or 56, given that the guard intervals changed at the same time as
the frequency, and those two muxes are now on a separate "COM78
National" network, is it worth trying a full factory reset, instead of
just a retune?

My Humax isn't loading the EPG for BBC2 SD and BBC2 HD, and what's more
every time I type a word (in a Microsoft program) that begins with an
'I' the word is capitalised when I don't want it to be. The thermometer
in the Volvo says it's -15C. Ever since the last software update my
iPhone comes on with the picture upside down. I have to reload the
printer driver into my PC once a week or it stops working. I have a
persistent itch in a place I can't reach. My watch has stopped. Hil's PC
makes a shushing noise through the speakers for three minutes after
switch on then clicks and the noise stops. The dog is afraid of small
dogs and hens but will attack big dogs. The trigger on one of my battery
drills doesn't always work. My small wheelbarrow has a slow puncture.
The ansaphone won't delete messages. The stairlift is making a
rhythmical ker-clunk noise. The red neon on the kettle doesn't always
work. Hil's lefthand monitor sometimes needs power cycling.

Old October 23rd 18, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 23/10/2018 09:28, Martin wrote:

I receive Freesat BBC HD without a problem without retuning my Humax box

Presumably because it's physically located in that utopian land of The
Netherlands

--
Mark
Old October 23rd 18, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 17:30:26 +0100, NY wrote:

he said "Aye, I thowt the picture weren't as good as it used to be".
"by gum, I nivver knew there were so many channels to choose from".

Was he a Brumm(y|ie)?
Old October 23rd 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes what with those and the hail stones and cow damage it seems almost
anything can, and does happen to dishes. I suppose it ids because they do
not need to be high, just have a clear view in the appropriate direction.
I'm sure we have all encountered the neighbour who plants a fast growing
conifer in front of the neighbours dish, and five years in it starts to have
an effect.

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Monday, 22 October 2018 15:53:04 UTC+1, wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:28, tim... wrote:

Now booked a call to the managing agents to get the workmen to put the
satellite back in the right place

Most likely they will have bent the reflector and or the LNB arm. That's
what usually happens because the reflector and arm give easier than the
mount. When I used be a proper person instead of a benefits parasite I
would replace the dish etc as a matter of course when it had been
'moved' by workmen. The extra cost is negligible, and there is a case to
be made that an LNB once concussed will never fully regain its marbles.

Old October 23rd 18, 09:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Its the end.
I guess its true, the devices we now have may not actually die completely
but suffer from prolonged issues from a much younger age than they used to.
Why does my original 1983CD player still work when several others bought
later have long since died. How come my old Rogers Valve amp still works
from 1966?

news