BBC HD not working on Freesat

Old October 22nd 18, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default BBC HD not working on Freesat

On 22/10/2018 13:28, tim... wrote:

Now booked a call to the managing agents to get the workmen to put the
satellite back in the right place

Most likely they will have bent the reflector and or the LNB arm. That's
what usually happens because the reflector and arm give easier than the
mount. When I used be a proper person instead of a benefits parasite I
would replace the dish etc as a matter of course when it had been
'moved' by workmen. The extra cost is negligible, and there is a case to
be made that an LNB once concussed will never fully regain its marbles.

Ways dishes have in my experience been damaged:
Idiotically installed less than two drunks high near a public footpath:
pulled down
Idiotically installed in a two foot wide alley at head height. The
postman threatened to sue.
Dish hidden behind a screen in the garden. Death by brush cutter.
Dish low down on a very old chimney stack. A falling pot bust it.
Customer pulling ivy off the wall pulled the dish off as well.
Dish on a balcony: vast dog jumped up and dislodged it.
Dish on wall: cast iron guttering fell on it.
Dish on mast to which someone then attached an overhead cable: dustbin
lorry went through with the body up, pulled the cable, broke the mast.
Dish on the wall above the pavement: a lorry came through and went on
the pavement and bent the reflector nearly double.
Dishes were on the flat roof of a shopping centre. The design of the
place included ornamental lattice towers at the front. Kids climbed up
and bust all the dishes.
Dish bent by window cleaner carrying his ladder.
Washing line attached by neighbour on static park pulled the dish round.
Attempts to clear snow from the dish caused the dish reflector to be bent.
Customer doing a bit of DIY fell sideways and grabbed the dish. This
event affected the alignment of both the dish and the customer's hip.

Old October 22nd 18, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I was just thinking the same thing, If they clouted it they may have bent
something and only a rigger can sort it out.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

get the workmen to put the satellite back in the right place

the workmen probably aren't equipped to undo the problem

Old October 22nd 18, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Not if the actual dish is, in itself now deformed. It might well be a throw
away and replace job!

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
news
In article ,
tim... wrote:

Now booked a call to the managing agents to get the workmen to put the
satellite back in the right place

I am, of course speaking in techoidiot terms and do actually mean "the
satellite dish"

Moving the satellite would also work.

-- Richard

Old October 22nd 18, 05:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes you forgot the one where the dish was on the side of a farmers cottage
by a field of cows, and it was used by some cows as a scratching post.
Of course originally there were no cows supposed to be in that field and
the grass was kept cut low, the lack of height did not matter of course.
I guess almost anything can damage a dish. There was a story a while back
about giant hail stones doing it somewhere in East Anglia.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news

Old October 22nd 18, 06:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
brightside

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 15:53:03 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 22/10/2018 13:28, tim... wrote:

[...]

Trimming Virginia Creeper with electric hedge cutter and neatly
trimmed the shotgun down lead.

--
brightside S9
Old October 22nd 18, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 22 October 2018 15:53:04 UTC+1, wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:28, tim... wrote:

[...]

Bill

Sounds like those laughable insurance claims as told by Jasper Carrot...
Old October 22nd 18, 06:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 15:53:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Dish hidden behind a screen in the garden. Death by brush cutter.

BT Opensore (or whoever) installed a nice new grey cabinet not far from here
for FTTC, reasonably adjacent to an existing green one in clear view.
It was set a bit further back, presumably originally right by the hedge, but
had been consumed by the rather fast growing hedge over a few months.
I went past it one morning as the cutter lorry driver was standing
outside his vehicle looking bewildered and the cabinet had been somewhat
modified from its original shape with lots of very nasty looking scratches
to the lovely grey paint.
I wonder what/who came off worst: the lorry, the cabinet or the driver.
Certainly the cabinet got replaced with a nice new green one. Dunno about
the lorry or the driver. It did amuse me though.

Interestingly I can get pictures of both the old and the new cabinets on that
new-fangled Google Maps/Streetview thingy. Looks like the new cabinet is more
or less in the same place as the old one, so this might happen again.
Old October 22nd 18, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
[...]

"Turned into the wrong drive and hit a satellite dish that I don't have!"

Another satellite dish problem that I saw: a neighbour's dish fitted on the
fence at the bottom of the garden on the north side of the terraces,
probably only *just* able to see the satellite over the ridge tile of the
house. The first decent gale blew down his fence but no-one else's, probably
because a gust of wind caught the dish and it acted like a sail, snapping
the wood of the fence panel. It was attached in the middle of a row of
panels, not to the wooden upright post which would have been a bit stronger.

The guy opposite us where we used to live had a terrestrial aerial that had
snapped in half and was hanging on by a flimsy bit of wire. I mentioned it
to him and he said "Aye, I thowt the picture weren't as good as it used to
be". How he received anything is a miracle as he had half a reflector and
probably one dipole attached to it; the rest was dangling in the wind and
was pointing vertically downwards, so a bit off-axis no matter what
polarisation the transmitter uses :-) When he eventually got the aerial
fitter in to fit a new one, he called across to me "by gum, I nivver knew
there were so many channels to choose from".

Old October 22nd 18, 09:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

funny you should say that

this very afternoon, came up the stairs, turned into the wrong hallway and
tried to open a door with a doormat that I don't have (FTAOD I tried to open
the door with my key, the doormat was on the floor outside)

I've only lived here 5 years

tim