Green screen again (Humax PVR)

Old November 7th 18, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_12_]

Default Best PVR?

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 22:24:34 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 04/11/2018 11:19, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 22:52:02 +0000 (UTC), The Other John
wrote:

There's the same situation with Harewood between Leeds and Harrogate.
It's clearly named after a wood where hares were found, and that's the
way everyone round about pronounces it, but the House and the Earldom
are properly pronounced Harwood.

Yeah, toffs are a funny lot. Near where I was born there was a 'big
house' where the family Levison-Gower lived - it's pronounced Looson-Gore.

I can imagine some inbred in one of the nether reaches of a
highfalutin family tree pronouncing a name wrongly in the nursery
(perhaps because their nanny or governess was foreign) and then
everybody around them copying the error because they thought it was
amusing, thus giving rise to a family tradition.

It may be that the family carried on the pronouncing the name as in the
past while other people adopted a variation thinking of big-eared
rodents. I am not at all sure those big-ears are relevant given:

Hares are not rodents. They are lagomorphs.

--snip--

--
I am the God of Hell fire and I bring you: Brexit
Old November 7th 18, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_10_]

wrote:

[...]

Ta for that.

I think I must have learnt they were rodents from an old book I had as
child. (I use "were" as it seems rabbits and hares were classified as
rodents until 1912.)

--
Robin