Green screen again (Humax PVR)

Old October 28th 18, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default Best PVR?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 20:43:51 +0100, Another John wrote:

[Sorry - I've been away]

On 22nd October Martin wrote:

We have two Humax PVRs. Every problem we have had so far has been caused by
the PVR. The cooling in Humax PVRs is inadequate

And also , wrote:

We've had 2 humax PVRs and both were buggy including sound problems with
HDMI. Seems Humax release these things as soon as the software runs for more
than 5 mins without crashing.

Would either of you (or anyone else) recommend any other particular
make? (When I first bought a Humax, it was because most users swore by
them (i.e., not at them).

Cheers
John

You don't say terrestrial or satellite. For my next one I'm considering one
from
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ital-receivers

There are upscaling ones (although apparently not too good if not feeding to
a 4k TV) and the tuners can be mixed. Can also record more than 2 channels
at once.
Some of the controllers look a bit naff - and, until I can be bothered to
seek for the instructions, the operation might be 'linuxy'.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 28th 18, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Best PVR? (was: Green screens on Humax)

And also , wrote:

We've had 2 humax PVRs and both were buggy including sound problems with
HDMI. Seems Humax release these things as soon as the software runs for
more
than 5 mins without crashing.

Would either of you (or anyone else) recommend any other particular
make? (When I first bought a Humax, it was because most users swore by
them (i.e., not at them).

the problem is that even though Humax has faults ITYF the others are worse

tim

Cheers
John

Old October 28th 18, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 28/10/2018 09:26, tim... wrote:

the problem is that even though Humax has faults ITYF the others are worse

tim

When I decided to get a Freesat+ PVR, the Humax ones were getting
criticised, so I ended up getting a Manhattan Plaza HDR-S from John
Lewis. It only has one fault that I have found[1] and otherwise it is a
very nice reliable box.

And unfortunately it has been discontinued :-(

However, if you see one second hand, I reckon it is worth a punt.

Jim

[1] If you use the channel up or channel down controls several times in
quick succession, you overrun the tuner's ability to keep up, and you
end up with the picture from one channel with the sound from another.
The only way out of this mismatch once it occurs is to power it off.
When it is powered back on, you have matching picture and sound once again.
Old October 28th 18, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Johnson[_6_]

wrote:

Would either of you (or anyone else) recommend any other particular
make? (When I first bought a Humax, it was because most users swore by
them (i.e., not at them).

Never had a Humax but very happy with my Panasonic DMR-BWT850, which I
bought because plays/records DVDs/Blu-rays, though I've never used it
to record discs.
Old October 28th 18, 01:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

Would either of you (or anyone else) recommend any other particular
make? (When I first bought a Humax, it was because most users swore by
them (i.e., not at them).

Never had a Humax but very happy with my Panasonic DMR-BWT850, which I
bought because plays/records DVDs/Blu-rays, though I've never used it
to record discs.

I've got a Panasonic DMR-EX97EB-K, which is much cheaper and only
records DVDs. (Do they let you copy HD content off air onto Blu-ray? I
thought the broadcasters set a flag to stop/discourage you from copying
HD programmes.) It's very good, and the only shortcomings are that
play/pause/skip is rather sluggish, and the user interface is rather
inconsistent between the menus/functions - obviously several different
development teams that weren't communicating. And there is a distinct
paucity of connections. You can't record from an external source, and
there aren't even audio outputs.

--
Max Demian
Old October 30th 18, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 28/10/2018 08:14, PeterC wrote:

John

You don't say terrestrial or satellite. For my next one I'm considering one
from
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ital-receivers

There are upscaling ones (although apparently not too good if not feeding to
a 4k TV) and the tuners can be mixed. Can also record more than 2 channels
at once.

I've seen no reports of poor upscaling from these boxes in the couple of
years I've been reading the Openvix forums which relate to these boxes
and the software that runs on them.

Depending on the number of tuners and the MUX/transponder tuned into
it's possible to record 8 or more channels at once as well as playing
back a recording at the same time.

Some of the controllers look a bit naff - and, until I can be bothered to
seek for the instructions, the operation might be 'linuxy'.

On the Enigma 2 receivers/PVRs from World of Satellite (WOS) you run
third party images (software) such as Openvix which gives you the GUI.
You don't need to know anything about Linux. WOS will install the image
when you purchase the box from them and it's easy to change if required.

OpenVix guides
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g...and-tutorials/

A youtube video which shows some of the Openvix features.
Note this 30 minute video is years old, it contains some minor mistakes,
some incorrect assumptions and relates to a box no longer sold. It does
however give some idea about how the current version of OpenVix still
works. OpenVix has evolved since this video was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUw...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijWJ...ature=youtu.be

Mistakes in above video
i) the image allows skipping/jumping backwards and forwards through
recordings or timeshift by fixed (user configured) amounts.
ii) No series linking using the relevant CRID information but recording
a series is easily achievable using autotimer options.

These boxes don't do red button interactive services although the red
button channel with its 7 day epg can be treated the same as any other
channel with respect.

Old October 30th 18, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 30/10/2018 15:24, alan_m wrote:
7 day epg can be treated the same as any other
channel with respect.

....... to watching or recording

Old October 30th 18, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 15:24:04 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 28/10/2018 08:14, PeterC wrote:

John

You don't say terrestrial or satellite. For my next one I'm considering one
from
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ital-receivers

There are upscaling ones (although apparently not too good if not feeding to
a 4k TV) and the tuners can be mixed. Can also record more than 2 channels
at once.

I've seen no reports of poor upscaling from these boxes in the couple of
years I've been reading the Openvix forums which relate to these boxes
and the software that runs on them.

Can't remember where I saw it, but it was a forum: apparently the upscaling
from SD to 4k is worse on a HD TV than just having SD.
By the way, I'd recorded an old episode of Midsomer Murders that was
broadcast on ITV HD. At the start there was "Upscaled HD"; methinks it was
upscaled HD!
I looked at some boxes on WoS and couldn't see any that upscaled - possibly
not stocked now.

Depending on the number of tuners and the MUX/transponder tuned into
it's possible to record 8 or more channels at once as well as playing
back a recording at the same time.
There are S2X tuners now, on that site.
Some of the controllers look a bit naff - and, until I can be bothered to
seek for the instructions, the operation might be 'linuxy'.

On the Enigma 2 receivers/PVRs from World of Satellite (WOS) you run
third party images (software) such as Openvix which gives you the GUI.
You don't need to know anything about Linux. WOS will install the image
when you purchase the box from them and it's easy to change if required.

OpenVix guides
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g...and-tutorials/

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read.

[...]

Pity about the lack of series linking - it's very useful.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 30th 18, 11:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 30/10/2018 21:19, PeterC wrote:

Pity about the lack of series linking - it's very useful.

I've owned two of these boxes in the last 4 years and have never
knowingly missed any episode in a series that I've wished to record.
The autotimer functionality performs the series linking without using
the broadcast CRID series linking data. Basically you ask the
box/software to set a repeating timer on the program name with a variety
of filter options. Usually the user configured default options are
sufficient allowing you just to select the program from the EPG with a
couple of button presses. Every time the program enters the EPG in the
future and matches the autotimer filters a new record timer is
generated. Filters include restricting to one channel, or multiple
channels the short description must being unique, restricting to certain
days or times (or on any day/time) etc.

Example of options
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/vix_timer/

The Youtube video link in my original post also shows this setting.

These boxes running Openvix (and other alternative images) also come
with a web interface. Just type the IP address of the box into your web
browser and most of the box's functionality can be set up on your
computer. It also contains a fully working virtual remote control.
The screenshots in the above link were obtained via this web interface.

Old October 31st 18, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 22:11:54 +0000, alan_m wrote:

[...]

The description might be better than the timing, as times are changed. Often
the schedule will adjust for these, although the Beeb suddenly changing from
BBC 1 to BBC 2, for examlpe, isn't linked - I've missed something that I've
wanted and ended up with a few hours of talking heads waffling on about
nothing happening!

These boxes running Openvix (and other alternative images) also come
with a web interface. Just type the IP address of the box into your web
browser and most of the box's functionality can be set up on your
computer. It also contains a fully working virtual remote control.
The screenshots in the above link were obtained via this web interface.

That's good. I have that on the Hummy's custom firmware.

Cheers.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away