BBC Cookie Clutter

Old October 24th 18, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

Default BBC Cookie Clutter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/st...ssary-cookies/

There follows a list of cookies that the BBC deem 'strictly necessary'
to use the BBC website and related services. Some of them clearly are
not strictly necessary and therefore shouldn't be in a section entitled
'strictly necessary', as I have commented below.

Before the list, perhaps someone can help me with the problem that I was
trying to solve when I discovered the above page. Every time I actually
sign in to the BBC site (which normally I don't bother to do, precisely
because of idiocies like the one I'm about to describe), I get a new
message warning telling me always the same officious information ...

"Never miss your favourites. This is the place to get notifications
about your favourite programmes, music, radio and more. We'll give you
notifications about anything already in your favourites, and anything
new you add. You can manage your notifications any time in Settings.
OK, I'm in | Show me more"

.... but unfortunately nowhere is there an option which says: I HAVE A
BROWSER WITH A FAVOURITES BUTTON, AND NEITHER NEED NOR WANT THE BBC TO
TRACK ME - NEVER, EVER, SHOW THIS BLOODY BANALITY EVER AGAIN!"

Has, perchance, anyone here discovered how to disable this idiocy?

Now the 'Strictly necessary' cookie list ...

Cookie name, What it's for

AM_REDIRECT_BACK_SERVER_URL

Provides a redirection URL during sign in & registration events.

AMAuthCookie

Temporary cookie used to manage sign in.

atidvisitor / atuserid / idrxvr

The BBC’s analytics system uses cookies to gather information regarding
visitor activity on the BBC's websites and other BBC online services.
The data gathered is sent to AT Internet, the BBC's analytics partner,
for analysis and reporting. The BBC uses this information to help
improve the services it provides to its users.

JJ: This is bull, no way is that *necessary*!

AWSELB

Manages web traffic and balances traffic load.

BBCCOMMENTSMODULESESSID

Reports back error messages in posting comments.

_cb_ls / _cb_svref / _chartbeat2 / _chartbeat5 / _chartbeat4 /_cb / _cb_cp

Chartbeat is used to understand engagement with pages by tracking how
far a user gets on a page and where they're clicking.

JJ: More bull, no way is that *necessary*!

ckns_acad-gateway

Academy page language setting.

ckns_amlbcookie

Manages server side management of sign in.

ckns_bbcTvVod

Manages the Banner asking users to confirm that they have a TV Licence
to be able to watch BBC programmes in iPlayer. The Cookie is set to
display TV Licence advisory notice every every 3 months.

JJ: Not strictly necessary to run the website, but perhaps we can let
that one pass!

ckns_echo_device_id

Used to synchronise the analytics device ID between the native and web
layers of iOS/Android apps, e.g. BBC Sport

JJ: Only necessary for those using the Android apps such as BBC Sport,
so I hope, but by no means believe, that it is not used for PC browsing?

ckns_explicit

Stores whether or not a browser has explicitly actioned the cookie banner.

ckns_id-session-redirects

Counts redirects in the sign in flows so that the BBC can degrade
gracefully during instances of infinite redirects.

ckns_idtkn / ckns_atkn / ckns_id

Indicates that a user is signed in.

ckns_IVOTE_HISTORY

Stores voting history per user.

JJ: Presumably not needed unless user is voting, so shouldn't be in the
section of cookies *necessary* to browse BBC websites. Does the cookie
exist and does it hold information if the user has never voted on anything?

ckns_jwt

Indicates the state of the sign in session.

ckns_nav_promofail

Counts how often the footer "promo" cards fail to load, so we can tell
browsers to stop further attempts to loads.

JJ: Marginal at best, if they simplified their website design and made
it w3c compliant, such failures shouldn't happen, and therefore
shouldn't need to tracked.

ckns_nonce

Helps to keep BBC accounts secure while signed in.

ckns_orb_fig_cache

Stores if the browser visiting the page is in the UK, EU & the device
type they use when they visit (Mobile, Tablet or Desktop). Used by BBC
products to load specific services such as cookie compliance messaging
and to optimise the page loading to reduce data usage and page loading
times.

JJ: Some of this is marginal at best, if they simplified their website
design and made it w3c compliant, they probably wouldn't need to adapt
pages to specific browsers on specific devices.

ckns_orb_nofig

Remembers any failures on pages using our older, deprecated global
navigation (ORB).

ckns_orb_nopromo

Counts how often the footer "promo" cards fail to load, so we can tell
browsers to stop further attempts to loads.

JJ: Marginal at best, if they simplified their website design and made
it w3c compliant, such failures shouldn't happen, and therefore
shouldn't need to tracked.

ckns_pgAgeConfirm

Stores parental guidance confirmation that you're over 16.

ckns_pgPIN

Stores Parental Guidance PIN number.

ckns_pgUnlocked

Stores Parental Guidance Lock state.

ckns_policy

Stores current user's cookies settings.

ckns_policy_exp

Cookie storing date and time the user saw the BBC cookie banner, allows
us in the future to redisplay cookie banner for compliance reasons, with
new wording or updates to browsers who only viewed the banner before the
new wording date.

ckns_privacy

Stores whether or not a browser has been displayed the privacy policy
banner.

ckns_rtkn

Refresh token (refresh expired access and identity tokens).

ckns_sa_labels_persist

Persists statistics tracking when users move between different BBC websites.

JJ: No way is that *necessary*!

ckns_session

Indicates that a user has signed in recently. Provides additional
security for accessing sensitive information in the BBC account settings.

ckns_settings-nonce

Stores a unique identifier for the signed in session.

ckns_sscid

Analytics device ID for BBC Affiliates (World Service, GNL).

JJ: No way is that *necessary*!

ckns_stateless

Controls user journey based on web session type, i.e. stateless or stateful.

ckns_taster_csrf_token

Ensures that feedback about pilots on Taster is only submitted from
legitimate BBC websites.

JJ: Presumably not needed unless user is in Taster, so shouldn't be in
the section of cookies *necessary* to browse BBC websites. Does the
cookie exist and does it hold information if the user has not given
feedback or never even been taken part in Taster?

ckns_taster_dsc

Remembers how many times Taster disclaimer banner has previously been
shown and if the user has explicitly dismissed it.

JJ: Presumably not needed unless user is in Taster, so shouldn't be in
the section of cookies *necessary* to browse BBC websites. Does the
cookie exist and does it hold information if the user has never even
been taken part in Taster?

ckns_taster_rate_id

Stores audience members ratings to pilots on Taster, and answers to
feedback questions.

JJ: Presumably not needed unless user is in Taster, so shouldn't be in
the section of cookies *necessary* to browse BBC websites. Does the
cookie exist and does it hold information if the user has never even
been taken part in Taster?

ckns_telescope

Stores voting history per user.

JJ: Presumably not needed unless user is voting, so shouldn't be in the
section of cookies *necessary* to browse BBC websites. Does the cookie
exist and does it hold information if the user has never voted on anything?

ckps_bbcLiveSignInDismissableCount

Stores the number of times a user has dismissed the mandatory sign in
banner.

ckps_bbcLiveSignInDismissableCountMet

Displays mandatory sign in banner.

JJ: Rather poor wording as presumably the cookie itself doesn't
contain the code for the sign in banner, but is merely acting as a flag
to cause it to be displayed.

ckps_bbcTv

Determines if a user has accepted the tv license banner and if they
have, we don’t display the banner again.

ckps_id_ptrt

Provides a redirection URL at the end of sign in & registration events.

ckps_tap_implicit

Stores content consumption information for non-signed in users, and
information on promotional banners seen for BBC services on TVs.

JJ: Stores information about *non-signed in users*? No way can that be
necessary.

ckps_tap_users

Stores credentials information for signed in users on BBC services on TVs.

ecos.dt

Stores information about Online Quality Survey.

JJ: Not strictly *necessary* to browse BBC websites, so shouldn't be in
this section.

identitytoken

Indicates that a user is signed in.

optimizelyEndUserId

Identifies visitors included in website optimisation tests to help
improve the customer experience.

S1

The BBC’s analytics system uses cookies, log file data and embedded code
to gather information regarding visitor activity on the BBC's websites
and other BBC online services. The data gathered is sent to ComScore,
the BBC's analytics partner, for analysis and reporting. The BBC uses
this information to help improve the services it provides to its users.

JJ: Not strictly *necessary* to browse BBC websites, so shouldn't be in
this section.

sa_labels

Allows the BBC to track which links on the BBC website a user has
clicked on, so that we know what the previous BBC page was the user came
from.

JJ: Not strictly *necessary* to browse BBC websites, so shouldn't be in
this section.

SID

Remembers routes a user takes through the website/quizzes.

JJ: Not strictly *necessary* to browse BBC websites, so shouldn't be in
this section.

WEATHER

Stores up to eight weather forecast locations for BBC Weather.
Old October 24th 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:21:12 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

Before the list, perhaps someone can help me with the problem that I was
trying to solve when I discovered the above page. Every time I actually
sign in to the BBC site (which normally I don't bother to do, precisely
because of idiocies like the one I'm about to describe), I get a new
message warning telling me always the same officious information ...

Yesterday I wanted to watch something on iPlayer on my Amazon box for
the first time since last week, and it now doesn't offer the option to
open the app without signing in, so I had to go through the rigmarole
of setting up an account on my computer and entering the code numbers
displayed on the TV screen. The voice on the telly said something to
the effect of "Don't worry, you only have to do this once", though I'd
rather not have to do it at all, as I never have for the past six
decades or more. George Orwell's prediction of TV sets that watch the
viewers appears to be inching ever closer.

Rod.

---

Old October 24th 18, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Looks like a design that sort of happened rather than one designed to do the
job.
I agree about W3C and the like. It would help them make stuff accessible
and less of an adventure to find buttons that are links or links that are
clickables or out of tab order items on the screen.

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
[...]

JJ: Presumably not needed unless user is in Taster, so shouldn't be in the
[...]

other BBC online services. The data gathered is sent to ComScore, the

Old November 9th 18, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_3_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on November 23, 2018.

wrote:

[...]

I don't recall him foreseeing that people would pay to be bugged.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

BBC iplayer Clutter Mark Carver[_2_] UK digital tv 40 December 12th 15 01:13 PM
More onscreen clutter Paul Heslop UK digital tv 20 October 23rd 07 05:39 PM
BBC World/BBC America Andy UK sky 4 August 10th 03 05:24 PM
BBC ONE and BBC TWO DOGs now appear to be off NO LOGO UK sky 0 July 29th 03 02:40 PM