Digital quality of streamed radio

Old November 9th 18, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

Default Digital quality of streamed radio

On 09/11/2018 09:19, Andy Burns wrote:

not sure if the local stations are also available?

Most, but perhaps not all, are. I regularly listen to regional folk
music programs that way. Only those interested in folk music need read
further, but for them, I regularly listen to or skim through the
following, because every now and then they come up with a gem ...

Cambridgeshire - Folk Show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06j49wd
Note: a different programme from the national R2 'Folk Show'. A
relatively new arrival of this year. Initial impressions are far too
much chat, and their control of volume needs a great deal more attention
- some parts are really loud, others really quiet.

Gloucestershire - Johnny Coppin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7z8
Not too bad, but always talks over the penultimate track as he gives out
the 'parish notices' - local upcoming folk gigs. I used to notice
that even whenever these were read out in an actual folk club, people
would disappear off to the bar, so for a programme that can be heard
world-wide to be wasting time by doing that seems more than a tad
ridiculous, I'd prefer to have them on the web-site, which in this case
they are already, and just have the programme play music instead.

Nan Gaidheal - A' Mire ri Mòir
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jdf6
For the die-hard Scottish folk music lover only! Too much 'bouncy
castle' Scottish ceilidh music and historical recordings of indifferent
or even rank bad unaccompanied singing even for my taste, and usually
compered by a woman with a very unpleasant guttural Gaelic who
consistently has her mic louder than the music, making it vital to FF
past her whenever and wherever she opens her mouth, especially as she
also wastes too much time chatting, and far too often she (and others)
talk over the intros to the tracks, particularly piping tracks, so we
never get to hear the first half of the fist tune in a medley. An
object lesson in how not to run a music programme !-( which I wouldn't
listen to if I couldn't FF past all the dross looking for tracks by top
flight artists such as ...

Breabach (who besides being a great instrumental band have their own
very beautifully-voiced Gaelic singer in fiddle player and dancer Megan
Henderson; not so keen on the male singers though, somewhat bland by
comparison):
http://breabach.com/about/breabach

Julie Fowlis (mostly accompanied gaelic singer with an excellent band,
if a rather bizarre fashion sense):
https://www.juliefowlis.com/

Ishbel MacAskill (mostly unaccompanied gaelic singer with a very, very
beautiful voice, sadly died some years ago):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDtTHC8BoY

Should also mention Arthur Cormack, James Graham, and Rachel Walker, all
of whom have very beautiful voices, and the bands Cliar and Cruinn.

Nan Gaidheal - Caithream Ciùil
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jdfl
A much more balanced and acceptable general mix of Scottish folk and
folk-influenced music, from Gael-pop and Scot-pop such as Runrig and
Tidelines, through to traditional such as the above. Again, wastes too
much time chatting and giving out 'parish notices', contact telephone
numbers, etc.

Kent - Kent Folk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d75k
Gave up listening to this some years ago, but can't remember why,
perhaps because there weren't enough gems forthcoming to be worth the
effort of trawling through another hour of too much chat, etc.

Merseyside - Folk Scene
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d79l
Again, far, far too much boring chat, but some gems, most recent
discovery through this program ...
Alice Howe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SXIF-I4KM

Shropshire - Genevieve Tudor's Sunday Folk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7lt
So laid back as to be horizontal, and again rather unprofessional in
that there are silences while she tries to remember what it was that she
was about to say! However, occasional gems from people like Julie
Murphy & Fernhill:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Murphy_%28singer%29
Old November 9th 18, 01:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pamela

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on November 23, 2018.

On 20:35 8 Nov 2018, Scott wrote in
:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 18:35:44 GMT, Pamela
wrote:

On 09:45 8 Nov 2018, Scott wrote in
m:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 08:41:25 +0000, Lew Higgins
wrote:

On 07/11/2018 23:02, Pamela wrote:
Assuming my Android radio apps hand my request for an audio stream to
the broadcaster, is the audio quality the same no matter which app
I use?

It may depend on the settings of the app. For instance, in TuneIn the
"preferred stream" can be "low", "standard" or "high". If your
connection can cope without buffering, "high" is always the best.

Does it also depend on the network? I understood that audio could be
sent as a single stream from the broadcaster to the network servers
then distributed by the network, to avoid everyone connecting direct
with the broadcaster. If correct, could this lead to a variance
depending whether you are using 4G or broadband and which network?

I assume that routing wasn't the case because the server workload for
Tunein (or another radio app provider) would be high. Most of their
customers don't pay anything.

I didn't mean that. I meant that other apps could use different
providers which might offer variances in quality (eg Tunein vs BBC
Radio iPlayer).

Okay. In that case, the providers for of streaming radio apps must be
handling a lot of bandwidth through their server. I wonder how they make
money.
Old November 9th 18, 10:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 09/11/2018 09:19, Andy Burns wrote:
VLC can stream all the BBC national radio stations at 320kbps

Bookmarked. I didn't know that. Thank you!

(Of course if they really cared about quality they wouldn't be
resampling CDs to 48kHz...)

Andy
Old November 10th 18, 10:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_10_]

On 09/11/2018 21:45, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/11/2018 09:19, Andy Burns wrote:
VLC can stream all the BBC national radio stations at 320kbps

Bookmarked. I didn't know that. Thank you!

Java Jive gave links to some BBC local streams but there is a full[er]
list at

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/hifi.asp

which also has commercial, community etc ones.

I've no idea if it is the best such list; it's just the one I use.

--
Robin
Old November 12th 18, 02:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sn!pe[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

You only get that sort of bit rate if you listen to
BBC Radio 3.

AFAIK you can download via iPlayer or GetIPlayer
all the music streams in 320kbps.

VLC can stream all the BBC national radio stations at 320kbps,
not sure if the local stations are also available?

[snip list of useful links]

At what rate does Freeview serve audio streams?
That's how I generally listen to BBC radio, using a
Geniatech TV dongle and EyeTV.

--
^^ My pet rock Gordon just is.
Old November 12th 18, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Sn!pe wrote:

At what rate does Freeview serve audio streams?

The commercial ones (Absolute, Capital, Heart) 80kbps MPEG2

All(?) the BBC radio streams seem to be 96kbps MPEG2
Old November 12th 18, 04:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Andy Burns wrote:

All(?) the BBC radio streams seem to be 96kbps MPEG2

Sorry I had streamed the whole mux and looked at the bandwidth of the
wrong streams

Local stations seem to be 80kbps
R5L, R5SX and World service are at 96kbps
R1X and R6M are 160kbps
R1, R2, R3 and R4 are at 192kbps
Old November 12th 18, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_10_]

On 12/11/2018 15:13, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

All(?) the BBC radio streams seem to be 96kbps MPEG2

Sorry I had streamed the whole mux and looked at the bandwidth of the
wrong streams

Local stations seem to be 80kbps
R5L, R5SX and World service are at 96kbps
R1X and R6M are 160kbps
R1, R2, R3 and R4 are at 192kbps

and I think all MP2 unlike the online streams

--
Robin
Old November 12th 18, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richmond[_2_]

According to this website the codec is important too. "Lower bit rates
may be acceptable for the more efficient compression achieved by MP3,
where 48 kbps is the equivalent of 64 kbps in MP2."

https://bestradios.co.uk/dab-vs-inte...sound-quality/

--
~
Old November 13th 18, 11:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sn!pe[_2_]

Robin wrote:

On 09/11/2018 21:45, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/11/2018 09:19, Andy Burns wrote:
VLC can stream all the BBC national radio stations at 320kbps

Bookmarked. I didn't know that. Thank you!

Java Jive gave links to some BBC local streams but there is a full[er]
list at

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/hifi.asp

which also has commercial, community etc ones.

I've no idea if it is the best such list; it's just the one I use.

Ta, Robin.

--
^^ My pet rock Gordon just is.