BBC HD not working on Freesat

Old October 26th 18, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_2_]

Default BBC HD not working on Freesat

But when would that matter? If you were going to work on live
equipment, wouldn't you check which conductor was live anyway,
as a safety precaution.

The French socket is polarised but I've seen accounts from
Brits moving there that there is no guarantee which way round
they will be connected!

Many years ago when I was in the scouts, the father of another
boy in my patrol was an electrician. When they moved into
their brand new council house he discovered that the entire
ring main was reversed!

Under what circumstances would you rely on the alleged neutral conductor
being at or around ground potential? Most of continental Europe seems to
survive on Schuko or similar type sockets without burning down or
electrocuting the population.

Old October 26th 18, 09:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 26/10/2018 19:48, NY wrote:
I've found that US mains plugs are very poor at the "pull out" test

This may be an advantage of course - they pull out rather than stressing
the flex.

(And suitcases - I had one go missing recently. No sign of mine, but a
very similar one on the carousel... I've no added a whipping around the
handle so it feels different when you pick it up)

Andy
Old October 27th 18, 08:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 27/10/2018 18:48, Terry Casey wrote:

I've got lots of moulded 13A plug to IEC female leads but
every single one of the IEC connectors is straight!

You can get angled ones:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/iec-connectors/0488905/

But I have never seen one on a cable.

Jim

Old October 28th 18, 01:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W[_2_]

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 23:33:02 +0100, Dave W wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 07:23:22 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 22/10/2018 23:48, Dave W wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:22:02 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

Not for the first time in the last 7 days

are other mediums (media) broadcasting this signal?

tim

My Humax Freesat gets BBC News OK, but my Hitachi Freeview box shows
nothing on UHF channel 55 from Crystal Palace so no BBC News HD or
BBC4 HD. Channel 56 is fine. Any theories?

Are you sure Ch 56 is fine, because that carries BBC 4 HD ?

Thanks. I find today that BBC4 HD does work after a longer than usual
wait. I still can't get BBC News HD or UHF channel 55.

I'm glad to report that UHF channel 55 has now reappeared with its
previous signal strength together with BBC News HD.
--
Dave W
Old October 28th 18, 12:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article ,
says...

On 27/10/2018 18:48, Terry Casey wrote:

I've got lots of moulded 13A plug to IEC female leads but
every single one of the IEC connectors is straight!

You can get angled ones:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/iec-connectors/0488905/

But I have never seen one on a cable.

I've got one on the mains lead for an old Hameg oscilloscope.
It allows you to use it standing face up on the floor - very
useful if to haven't got a handy table to put it on.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Old November 6th 18, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 06/11/2018 15:52, Martin wrote:

rising sea levels ?

The Dutch raise and shorten their coast line by pumping sand. What does UK do?

Stick their head in it ?

--
Mark
Old November 8th 18, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/11/2018 14:19, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 16:26:24 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

On 06/11/2018 15:52, Martin wrote:

rising sea levels ?

The Dutch raise and shorten their coast line by pumping sand. What does UK do?

Stick their head in it ?

Brilliant. They help the sea take over low lying land for the good of the
environment. :-)

What the Dutch don't seem to realise is that keeping the sea out they
add to the sea level rise in countries. Very selfish I call it.