rip off

Old October 30th 18, 07:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default rip off

Not much really. It might have been nice to photograph the job as left. 97
sounds a lot, I'd have said 25 more apt. Sounds definitely like somebody is
exploiting lack of knowledge.

I'd take them to court myself, however I also think that the people who run
the flats should perhaps make sure all new residents are aware of the
system in use and that they should not need to get outside contractors
involved. Also of course, if she is renting getting outside non approved
people in might be against the terms of the agreement. You do not want
messrs Bodgit and run to do jobs in the flats leaving them dangerous etc.

I'm not up to speed about the current small claims procedure, but really the
company needs to be reported and somehow flagged for this sort of thing.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
We look after the TV system at an old people's flats complex down the
road. These aren't high rise; there's a whole lot of two-floor six-blocks,
all running from one central aerial. Off-air signals there are extremely
poor (to get a half-decent signal we have two 28ft masts at the top of the
highest roof and we use two transmitters.)
An elderly lady moved in and found the TV reception in her flat to be
non-existent. Not knowing that there was a communal system she somehow
found a firm which at this stage I will not name, but they appear to be
based in Glasgow. An 'engineer' came, diagnosed a faulty wall plate, took
a cheque for 97, and went. We can't understand why she paid because she
still had no reception. After a few days she contacted the firm again. A
different 'engineer' came and fitted a masthead amplifier and power supply
behind the TV set. There was then decent reception. Again a cheque was
written for 97 but reception failed after a day. A few more days elapsed
and the housing lady called to see how the old lass was settling in. This
resulted in Paul calling. He found that the wallplate (which was not an
original but was an old one of the type that comes from the Far East and
has a multi-purpose circuit board) had the screw that secures the coaxial
inner missing. The cable was not connected but Paul guessed that the inner
had been shoved into the screw hole, and had then fallen out. When a new
wall plate was fitted reception was perfect.
The old lady has two itemised receipted invoices for 95. We've strongly
advised her to contact Consumer Services and maybe also the police. We've
told the housing people. What more can we do?

Old October 30th 18, 06:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2018 06:38, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd take them to court myself, however I also think that the people who run
the flats should perhaps make sure all new residents are aware of the
system in

It's mentioned in the paperwork but people just don't seem to read it.

So, Did my Installer Rip me off? cheqsout Satellite dbs 0 December 28th 04 05:19 PM
Best Buy rip-off? ng_reader High definition TV 54 July 30th 04 05:36 AM
Rip off price? Freeview boxes. David UK digital tv 26 January 24th 04 09:46 PM
Rip-off TV Andy Mackie UK digital tv 4 November 27th 03 02:24 PM
Rip-off TV Andy Mackie UK digital tv 0 November 26th 03 11:39 AM