WTD: list of urls for VideoOnDemand-FreeVODandWebVideos

Old January 29th 10, 06:16 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bill

Default WTD: list of urls for VideoOnDemand-FreeVODandWebVideos

I have a real Tivo(tm) brand Series 2 Tivo(tm), no Desktop SW. In
Video On Demand - Free VOD and Web Videos
there are an assortment of video podcast series. Note: These
are completely different from the audio podcasts in
Music, Photos & Showcases - Podcasts

Unfortunately it seems that Tivo drops updating some of the
video podcasts on an irregular basis. Note: This is different
from a podcast deciding to stop producing episodes. The last
big purge was early May last year when perhaps fifty of these
stopped getting new episodes on a single day. That might have
been about the time they introduced Tivo Desktop SW, but I might
not be remembering correctly or this might just be a
coincidence.

Months later a couple of calls to support found that the support
people didn't even know these existed, let alone that they
weren't being updated. One person in support did find locations
of copies of the video podcasts on one of their servers, but
those were no more up to date than what was available in the
Tivo menu.

So the problem is upstream somewhere and I'm thinking of going
outside of Tivo to watch some of these.

I've tried a few web searches to see if I can find urls outside
of Tivo, without much success. Example, try to find the url of
the "Three Minute Ad-Age" videos released every day.

Is there any chance someone might know of a list of the urls for
the source of all the videos in the list now, and perhaps even
the ones they have finally dropped from the list after not being
updated for months or a year?

I don't think I really need all the features of Tivo Desktop,
I never transfer any shows, never have any urge to program my
Tivo from a cell phone I don't own, etc., unless that would
solve this particular problem and others too.

Thanks for any pointer to a list of the urls.

If I wanted to think about things far less likely to happen,
I do wish a bunch of us could pool our viewing histories and
thumbs ratings. If we could do that then I would write and
give away some cluster finding software that might let us get
recommended shows that we would not want to miss.
I do realize this probably can't happen, but if we could install
apps like the iPhone then this would be the app I would write.

Thanks
Old January 29th 10, 10:02 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Spider Dawg

On 2010-01-29, bill wrote:
[...]

You mean this? http://mediakit.adage.com/3minuteadage.php

This was the very first hit on a Google search for "3 minute ad age".

Most of the video podcasts that I used to get thru TiVo have RSS feeds,
making them very easy to download daily. Many of those RSS feeds also
have .torrent files,, making downloading each of those as simple as
opening Azureus (my BT client of choice).

Jim

Old January 31st 10, 04:47 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bill

Then Spider Dawg wrote:
You mean this? http://mediakit.adage.com/3minuteadage.php
This was the very first hit on a Google search for "3 minute ad age".

Before I originally posted I tried to do my homework, I did
repeated google searches and crawled the adage pages including
the url you provided. That still has not turned up the daily
3-minute video that was available on Tivo every day. There are
a few of the old 3-minute videos on that page from months ago,
but not the daily string of new ones and nothing since before
Christmas. I am thinking they are out there somewhere. Which
was why I then asked...

Is there any chance someone might know of a list of the urls for
the source of all the videos in the list now, and perhaps even
the ones they have finally dropped from the list after not being
updated for months or a year?

That was my question.

Next:

have to admit a bit of confusion here, there are tons of url's for Video on
Demand, and it's pretty simple to get them on your pc and TRANSFER them to
the tivo, all free... why do you want to get them ONLY on the tivo...

My apologies for apparently not being clear. I understand there are
trillions of video urls and petabytes of video online now. I wrote
this originally

So the problem is upstream somewhere and I'm thinking of going
outside of Tivo to watch some of these.

to explain that I had given up on getting Tivo to fix this and was
going
not use it to watch these anymore and was just asking for the urls.

To answer why did I want to watch these on Tivo? Convenience,
at least while it worked, not having to wade through urls or
cookies or registering or downloading or translating, etc.

http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/tips/tv.htm
first few lines....
Internet Tip # 10 - Where to watch Television online
So where can you watch television shows online? There are a ton of web sites
showing clips of television shows and showing made for Internet shows. But
in this list I wanted to only list web sites that had full-length episodes
of television shows.

That is interesting, I didn't realize it was out there and I'll
keep that. But I tried to be specific by saying that I was only
looking for the free VOD video podcasts buried down in that
particular Tivo menu, not network programming or clips of
network programming or the trillions of other sources of video
out there, just a dozen or so out of the hundred or so that were
in that Tivo menu. The seabreeze url apparently only has
network shows, not the stuff I was asking for.

After reading your replies I spent a couple of hours and found
the following.

http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/go.do?...webvideos.page

This contains what appears to be a partial list, but only the
titles and not the url of the source. There are season passes
in my Tivo for items that are no longer on that Tivo page. And
I now realize there are many items that have disappeared from
both my Tivo menu, some with season passes, some on and some
not still on that Tivo page. Some of the names of shows escape
me, but "The Temp Life" was one. There was a spoof soap opera
that was funny, but I can't remember the title.

My gues at this point is: Someone inside Tivo adds and deletes
items from the menu and from that web page. There doesn't
appear to be any log of history available so you can look back
to see what used to be there. I don't think there is any web
page that tells all the current videos and their urls that
Desktop or Desktop Plus provides. I'd be happy if any or all
that is wrong and I could find that information.

Using the titles and doing repeated google searches I've spent a
few hours and tried to track down the correct urls for the
titles on that Tivo page. I've found titles on that page that
were never in my menu and tried to track down some of those for
viewing on the PC. I cannot find the right page for "The
Economist" that provides a free video without asking for logging
into an economist account, I don't find what I think is the
correct url for "VisualPhysics", "Low Budget" is just too vague
a title to ever find the right page, ditto "Inst Msgs", ditto
"Inc TV", ditto "Loaded", can't find the right page for "The
Temp Life", ditto "heavy comedy shorts", etc.

Would Tivo Desktop Plus make most or all these problems go away?
If someone inside Tivo is adding and deleting items from the
list on their own then I suspect it won't fix all the problems.
But if it would fix most of them the it might be worth it to me.

Can anyone provide a list of the current titles in Desktop Plus?
Is that web page everything in Desktop Plus now? Does anyone
know of a list of items previously in the web page or the menu
so I can prod my brain cells?

Thanks and I hope some of this is more understandable
Old January 31st 10, 05:31 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Spider Dawg

On 2010-01-31, bill wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:55*pm, "Peter Pan"
wrote:
"bill" wrote in message

snip

Then Spider Dawg wrote:
You mean this? http://mediakit.adage.com/3minuteadage.php
This was the very first hit on a Google search for "3 minute ad age".

Before I originally posted I tried to do my homework, I did
repeated google searches and crawled the adage pages including
the url you provided. That still has not turned up the daily
3-minute video that was available on Tivo every day. There are
a few of the old 3-minute videos on that page from months ago,
but not the daily string of new ones and nothing since before
Christmas. I am thinking they are out there somewhere. Which
was why I then asked...

Is there any chance someone might know of a list of the urls for
the source of all the videos in the list now, and perhaps even
the ones they have finally dropped from the list after not being
updated for months or a year?

That was my question.

Yeah, I know, sorry. I don't have any idea where to find a list of those
URLs other than Googling, I was just trying to help with that one
particular podcast. The URL for their RSS feed is:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...587?action=rss
but as you've said the most recent video is nearly 4 weeks old. I wonder
if that means there aren't any newer?

more snippage

Using the titles and doing repeated google searches I've spent a
few hours and tried to track down the correct urls for the
titles on that Tivo page. I've found titles on that page that
were never in my menu and tried to track down some of those for
viewing on the PC. I cannot find the right page for "The
Economist" that provides a free video without asking for logging
into an economist account, I don't find what I think is the
correct url for "VisualPhysics", "Low Budget" is just too vague
a title to ever find the right page, ditto "Inst Msgs", ditto
"Inc TV", ditto "Loaded", can't find the right page for "The
Temp Life", ditto "heavy comedy shorts", etc.

Loaded is one I watch, so I can help you with the URL for their RSS
feed:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/9706-1_53-0.x...8&title=Loaded

yet more snippage

I don't have an answer to your actual questions. but I know exactly what
you mean. The main reason I found out about RSS feeds was because TiVo
only occasionally downloaded Rocketboom, and I wanted to see all
episodes. But I can offer this advice: if a podcast is part of a larger
website, try searching the website itself. In other words, look for
"Loaded" at the CNET site, look for "Tekzilla" at the Revision3 site, etc.

HTH,
Jim