DirecTV and my TiVo

Old October 30th 09, 04:22 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Suzie-Q[_2_]

Default DirecTV and my TiVo

I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

I have the TiVo hooked up to a standard DirecTV
receiver (i.e. not a DVR). I have run the TiVo
set up with the DTV receiver, but the TiVo
will not tune the DTV receiver.

The brand of the receiver is "DirectTV" (it was made
by DirecTV, not another company, as far as I can tell.)

Can anyone help me get the two to work together? Or
are they just not compatible?

Thanks in advance,

--
8^)~~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~~
Old October 30th 09, 07:36 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_3_]

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

I have the TiVo hooked up to a standard DirecTV
receiver (i.e. not a DVR). I have run the TiVo
set up with the DTV receiver, but the TiVo
will not tune the DTV receiver.

The brand of the receiver is "DirectTV" (it was made
by DirecTV, not another company, as far as I can tell.)

Can anyone help me get the two to work together? Or
are they just not compatible?

Thanks in advance,

--
8^)~~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~~
http://www.wacvet.com/
http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/

What type of Tivo (series 1 2 or 3?), are you using an ir blaster? Does the
no model DTV unit use an ir remote? if ir blaster, is it positioned okay? If
serial connection does your unamed DTV unit support serial control?

Old October 30th 09, 04:08 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo

Peter Pan wrote:
"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

What type of Tivo (series 1 2 or 3?), are you using an ir blaster? Does
the no model DTV unit use an ir remote? if ir blaster, is it positioned
okay? If serial connection does your unamed DTV unit support serial
control?

Doesn't Dish use RF remotes, and DTV infrared?

It might be helpful to know how the Tivo worked with Dish.
Was there a control cable between the two boxes, or some other gadget for
control?

I had an RCA VCR that had a backward-facing IR lens near the front edge.
If I put my DirecTV box on top of the VCR, back a bit, the IR could control
the DTV, just like the DTV remote could, for programming recordings.

More model numbers, of Dish, DTV, and Tivo might be helpful, as well as
what method the Tivo used to control the Dish.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do
"4' Home Control Cable for use with your TiVo DVR and most RCA brand
DIRECTV receivers. Also known as low speed data cable. Stereo Plug to
RJ14."

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ie=x#e10220981

This makes it sound like there are IR "emitters" on the Tivo, like my RCA
VCR had.

The DirecTV DVR is free to new subscribers, $5/month for the DVR service.
that would seem to be a sensible alternative.

Aside from that, a Google search of Directv tivo control seems to return
lost of forum conversations.

I have a $200 DTivo and two free DirecTV DVRs.
I have had various DTV receivers since my $699 unit in 1994.

Old October 30th 09, 04:27 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_3_]

wrote in message ...
Peter Pan wrote:
"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

What type of Tivo (series 1 2 or 3?), are you using an ir blaster? Does
the no model DTV unit use an ir remote? if ir blaster, is it positioned
okay? If serial connection does your unamed DTV unit support serial
control?

Doesn't Dish use RF remotes, and DTV infrared?

depends, with both (Dish and DTV) had dual tuner boxes (so you could watch
different stuff in different rooms), first remote was ir, second uhf

but again, without knowing what the op actually has, it's a crapshoot for
answering.....

Old October 30th 09, 05:24 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter H. Coffin

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:27:30 -0400, Peter Pan wrote:
wrote in message ...
Peter Pan wrote:
"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

What type of Tivo (series 1 2 or 3?), are you using an ir blaster? Does
the no model DTV unit use an ir remote? if ir blaster, is it positioned
okay? If serial connection does your unamed DTV unit support serial
control?

Doesn't Dish use RF remotes, and DTV infrared?

depends, with both (Dish and DTV) had dual tuner boxes (so you could watch
different stuff in different rooms), first remote was ir, second uhf

but again, without knowing what the op actually has, it's a crapshoot for
answering.....

Dish's dual-tuner ViP recievers do use the second tuner on a UHF remote, but
the Compost/S-Video output is also locked to second tuner if you want HD
out at all (that's only available on the first tuner) so the choice is
to either slave second tuner to the first and let both remotes run both
tuners at the same time, or get something that can bridge the IR blaster
signalling to the RF remote's protocol and put the TiVo on tuner 2. It's
all slightly suboptimal, compared to the S3 line's method of managing
multiple tuners.

--
Every fleeting thought you've ever had in your life, no matter how bizarre,
is someone's lifelong obsession. And he has a website.
Old December 13th 09, 08:41 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Joe Smith[_2_]

On Oct 29, 8:22*pm, Suzie-Q wrote:
I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

I have the TiVo hooked up to a standard DirecTV
receiver (i.e. not a DVR). I have run the TiVo
set up with the DTV receiver, but the TiVo
will not tune the DTV receiver.

What model of TiVo are you using?
What model of DirecTV receiver are you using?

I have a TiVo S2DT DVR controlling a DirectTV D10 receiver using a
serial-port cable,
and a TiVo Series 1 DVR controlling another D10 receiver using a
serial-port cable.

-Joe http://www.inwap.com/tivo/SmithTV2007.gif
Old December 14th 09, 10:50 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
SVU

On Oct 29, 8:22*pm, Suzie-Q wrote:
I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

I have the TiVo hooked up to a standard DirecTV
receiver (i.e. not a DVR). I have run the TiVo
set up with the DTV receiver, but the TiVo
will not tune the DTV receiver.

The brand of the receiver is "DirectTV" (it was made
by DirecTV, not another company, as far as I can tell.)

Can anyone help me get the two to work together? Or
are they just not compatible?

You are using what is called a standalone TiVo. There are also TiVos
built for DirecTV, often referred to as DirecTiVos (they will no work
with Dish or cable), and there are DirecTV DVRs, which are leased from
the satellite supplier, often with an upfront "purchase" price (you
still don't own it).

You can do one of three things:

1. Use your TiVo with your new DirecTV receiver. If you have an HD
receiver, your TiVo will not record the shows in HD. You will only get
to record one channel at a time and simultaneously watch from Now
Playing while recording. This is the lowest quality recording, since
the receiver decodes the digital signal once and then the TiVo
converts it back to digital again.
2. Sell your TiVo and buy a used DirecTivo off eBay. (They are not
very expensive, if they are not HD. Be careful if you buy one for HD,
as the first generation HD Tivos are obsolete and you won't get all
the HD channels.) You will get to record two channels at a time, if
you were wired with two coax cables to the box, enabling the second
tuner. You will need to get a new access card from DTV and you will
want to make sure the previous owner canceled their account in good
standing. If you find one with a lifetime subscription, it can be
added to your account and you won't have to pay the monthly TiVo fee.
Note that the recording quality is identical to the original signal,
since the satellite stream is recorded digitally with no conversions
in between.
3. Call DirecTV and negotiate a deal on a DVR. Many people have gotten
them for no upfront fee, and only pay $5 monthly. If you have HD, then
your recordings will also be in HD, and the same things about digital
recordings applies as in Option 2.

Since you asked how to make Option 1 work, you need a way for the TiVo
to tell the satellite box how to change channels. There are two
supported methods: IR Emitter, or Serial Cable. The IR emitter is like
a infrared light with a wire that plugs into the TiVo. You stick it in
front of the place on the satellite box where the remote control "eye"
is located. The TiVo then sends the correct light pulses to the box to
change channels. (if you have tried this and it isn't working, you may
have a bad cable or you need to tell the TiVo to change its settings
to the new box.) The serial cable is more reliable, if you can get the
right cable, and your receiver supports it. This is why model numbers
are important (look on the back for the label with the model and
serial numbers). Your TiVo will need to know the model number, as you
go into setup and select it from a list. If it isn't there, then you
may be able to get the list updated from TiVo, unless it is too new
for TiVO to have it in your system. Depending on how old your TiVo is,
and how much storage it has, it may not be worth much, and Options 2
or 3 may be better for you.

Brad Houser
SiliconValleyUpgrades.com
Old December 14th 09, 02:18 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
JEDIDIAH

On 2009-12-14, SVU wrote:

On Oct 29, 8:22*pm, Suzie-Q wrote:
[...]

The fourth option would be to build a PC based PVR that can
record HD off of DirecTV. There is a PC capture device that will
do this and there is Linux and Windows software that works with it.

You might want to actually try the DirecTV house brand PVR
rather than dismissing it out of hand. If you aren't interested in
a lot of recording capacity, it would probably work out. Plus it
integrates well with other Windows software that can help expand
it's capabilities.

My storage requirements exceed what any appliance can handle,
so I use a PC based solution.

[deletia]

--
Sophocles wants his cut. |||
/ | \
Old December 15th 09, 04:57 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_4_]

"Joe Smith" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 8:22 pm, Suzie-Q wrote:
I just switched from DishNetwork To DirecTV. My TiVo
worked fine with DishNetwork. I assumed (yes, I know)
that it would work fine with DTV. So far it doesn't.

I have the TiVo hooked up to a standard DirecTV
receiver (i.e. not a DVR). I have run the TiVo
set up with the DTV receiver, but the TiVo
will not tune the DTV receiver.

What model of TiVo are you using?
What model of DirecTV receiver are you using?

I have a TiVo S2DT DVR controlling a DirectTV D10 receiver using a
serial-port cable,
and a TiVo Series 1 DVR controlling another D10 receiver using a
serial-port cable.

-Joe http://www.inwap.com/tivo/SmithTV2007.gif

I had a tivo on both dish and later directv, using the video in (not rf)
(and an ir blaster/simulated remote) had to rerun guided setup... while the
serial cable is probably more accurate, i lived in my rv and moved a
LOT/switched stuff a lot, and just went with a way that was a bit simpler to
change...

but again, as the op asked, what model tivo and receiver?

Old December 28th 09, 02:17 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_4_]

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
m...
"Joe Smith" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 8:22 pm, Suzie-Q wrote:
[...]

just reread your post, looks like you too had a s1 and now an s2dt... i used
an ir blaster with both, and video output rather than rf, but could never
use both tuners on the s2dt (only the first tuner, putzed with an s3 for
awhile but same thing nogo on the second tuner)
can't see why the serial or ir would matter, but video connections/rf will
make it not work... you said
" I have the TiVo hooked up to a standard DirecTV receiver"
how is it Hooked up? (rf or video)