Updating to larger My TIVO Expander

Old January 5th 10, 01:20 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo

Default Updating to larger My TIVO Expander

We have a TIVO HD, BTW - we LOVE it.

We have a 500 gig WD TIVO expander on it and it works great but now we
see they have a 1 T expander available and my wife seems to love to
record things and has at times had to let the TIVO delete some
recordings in order to record more. We are also OTA BTW if that makes
any difference.

I have TIVO Desktop Plus, we are networked here at home and I am able
to bring TIVO recordings up to my PC.

Our question is: How do we go about changing out the 500 for the 1 T
drive? I suppose TIVO maybe uses both even if there's not much left
recorded, like if we sorta cut way back on what we have recorded
before the switch.

I guess what I'm asking is there a way to get the stuff back onto the
TIVO from my PC?

Gene
Old January 5th 10, 07:16 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo

On 2010-01-05, wrote:
Our question is: How do we go about changing out the 500 for the 1 T
drive? I suppose TIVO maybe uses both even if there's not much left
recorded, like if we sorta cut way back on what we have recorded
before the switch.

I guess what I'm asking is there a way to get the stuff back onto the
TIVO from my PC?

As others have said, you will lose basically everything when you
"divorce" the 500 GB disk. When I did it, I was left with 3 out of
an original 510 shows.

I would get TiVo Desktop working at serving your present shows on the
PC now, before you change your disk. When the TiVo server is working
properly, your PC will be listed at the end of your TiVo Now Playing,
and you can select it and transfer any shows back to your TiVo.
You don't need TiVo Desktop Plus for just returning .tivo shows.

I use pyTivo and kmttg myself (on Linux in addition to TiVo Desktop
on a Windows PC) and prefer them. but honestly for your purposes I
would just use TiVo Desktop.

If you're technically inclined enough to get pyTiVo working, then you
are technically capable enough to opening up the TiVo and swapping out
the internal disk in your TiVo to make it a TByte disk. I would
recommend doing that over adding the external TByte disk. The
external disks do not last as long as an internal disk (well, the disk
itself is often fine, but the circuitry in the external enclosure
often gives out after 12-18+ months), and you lose all your shows when
they go bad.

Chris

Old January 5th 10, 10:53 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 06:20:48 -0600, someone wrote:

We have a TIVO HD, BTW - we LOVE it.

We have a 500 gig WD TIVO expander on it and it works great but now we
see they have a 1 T expander available and my wife seems to love to
record things and has at times had to let the TIVO delete some
recordings in order to record more. We are also OTA BTW if that makes
any difference.

I have TIVO Desktop Plus, we are networked here at home and I am able to
bring TIVO recordings up to my PC.

Our question is: How do we go about changing out the 500 for the 1 T
drive? I suppose TIVO maybe uses both even if there's not much left
recorded, like if we sorta cut way back on what we have recorded before
the switch.

I guess what I'm asking is there a way to get the stuff back onto the
TIVO from my PC?

I'll probably get flamed to hell for this, but, if you're recording OTA
TV only, then you shouldn't even be using a Tivo. For OTA, a PC is much
cheaper and much more versatile. You don't have to hassle with moving
files around. They are available to everyone on the network. Additional
storage is as easy as adding more/larger drives. You aren't limited in
all the ways Tivo limits you. Yeah, I had a Tivo, and another comsumer
DVR, vcr's,etc. Dumped them all when I went digital back in 05. Wish I
had done it sooner. I'm just glad Tivo didn't have an ATSC unit out then,
as I probably would have bought it. I'd need 3 of them now to do what I
do with a 6 tuner PC DVR that cost less than one Tivo-HD with lifetime
sub. So if you really want the ultimate in OTA recording, find some
sucker to buy your Tivo system and build your own. OTOH, if you are using
cable with it, stick with it.

Old January 6th 10, 09:26 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_4_]

On 2010-01-05, wrote:
Our question is: How do we go about changing out the 500 for the 1 T
drive? I suppose TIVO maybe uses both even if there's not much left
recorded, like if we sorta cut way back on what we have recorded
before the switch.

I guess what I'm asking is there a way to get the stuff back onto the
TIVO from my PC?

As others have said, you will lose basically everything when you
"divorce" the 500 GB disk. When I did it, I was left with 3 out of
an original 510 shows.

I would get TiVo Desktop working at serving your present shows on the
PC now, before you change your disk. When the TiVo server is working
properly, your PC will be listed at the end of your TiVo Now Playing,
and you can select it and transfer any shows back to your TiVo.
You don't need TiVo Desktop Plus for just returning .tivo shows.

they also don't have to be .tivo files only....

if/when you get the tivo desktop working, you can get TerraByte USB drives
(for like under $125) and put em on your network, use em for other stuff,
save space on your tivo/save money, and IMO coolest of all, create all sorts
of subdirectories and just put shortcuts in now playing instead of the big
file (okay maybe thats 2nd coolest, first would be you can also get
torrents/dvd rips/downloads/convert flash to avi/record off live tv/actually
record off tuners/dvrs onto the pc's/network/etc, store em on your home
network, and xfer them to the tivo when you want to watch em).. i would
absolutety never suggest expanding that limited tivo, when you can do so
much easier/cheaper/etc with what you already have....

think in reverse, how can you get/store stuff on the pc's network and xfer
it to the tivo...IE instead of thinking of the tivo as the only source,
think of it as the destination (so you can watch whatever files you send it
on your tv)

Old January 6th 10, 10:13 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
JEDIDIAH

On 2010-01-05, Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

....well, the thing about modern digital TV is that you are pretty much
being broadcast the shows in computer ready form. They come off of the
antenna in MPEG2 format suitable with sharing with any device you like.

If you only do OTA then you might want to look into a PC based solution
if you are thinking that you want/need a lot of storage. One thing that
PC PVRs make easier is the addition of storage and the preservation of
old recordings.

[deletia]

It's really silly for Tivo to wrap an extra layer of DRM over content
that is being broadcast "in the clear" for anyone to grab out of the
ether.

--
....as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
/ | \