Unseemly truncation of Gentleman Jack

Old June 24th 19, 02:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Unseemly truncation of Gentleman Jack

What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

Old June 24th 19, 07:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 24/06/19 02:32, Bill Wright wrote:
What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

Bill

Fooooooootball, Bill. The women's England-Cameroons game overran by 10
minutes.

Of course, rather than try to get back on schedule the BBC still
insisted on showing long preview trailers during the breaks between
programmes. If they'd dumped those they could have saved several minutes.

--

Jeff
Old June 24th 19, 07:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 24/06/2019 02:32, Bill Wright wrote:
What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

Bill

I set Countryfile to record, and that was truncated - I lost the last 10
minutes. So whatever it was that put the schedule out, it was the same
10 minutes for the whole evening it seems.

Jim

Old June 24th 19, 08:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

On Mon 24/06/2019 07:31, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 24/06/2019 02:32, Bill Wright wrote:
What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

Bill

I set Countryfile to record, and that was truncated - I lost the last 10
minutes.* So whatever it was that put the schedule out, it was the same
10 minutes for the whole evening it seems.

AND the root cause? Because - yet again - the BBC didn't change the EPG
settings to reflect the timing changes.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old June 24th 19, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:31:33 +0100, Indy Jess John wrote:

On 24/06/2019 02:32, Bill Wright wrote:
What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so
I had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

Bill

I set Countryfile to record, and that was truncated - I lost the last 10
minutes. So whatever it was that put the schedule out, it was the same
10 minutes for the whole evening it seems.

Jim

That's strange - I recorded CF from Freesat and it did the whole thing,
starting and finishing at the broadcast, rather than nominal, times.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old June 24th 19, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 24/06/2019 08:26, PeterC wrote:
[...]

I used an elderly recorder that doesn't use the EPG for start and finish
times, and I recorded from Freeview.

Jim

Old June 24th 19, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so I
had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

you have a machine that works with AR and gives you padding?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

it worked for me, so I guess that the AR signals were correct even if the
EPG wasn't

tim

Old June 24th 19, 11:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Its probably a software thing. a person flags certain programs as probably
going to overrun, then sets all other things in the running order on the
computer to run after its finished, but the software does not actually know
how to update the epg etc, and the devices looking at the epg probably don't
check often enough. They only catch long term changes known say a day ago.
I bet its something like that. Unfortunately, joining up the dots is
something that is now no longer understood by anybody at all, due to staff
turnover and outsourcing.

Old June 24th 19, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY[_2_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
What's going on? It started late and finished late. Even with five
minutes' padding I lost the climax (in several senses as it happens) so I
had to fart about with iPlayer to avoid disappointment. Why do they do
this sort of thing? Why were they running late? Why doesn't the EPG get
altered? **** up, brewery, or what?

It's the only programme I watch on the BBC and they can't even get that
right.

I routinely set 10 minutes post-programme padding (as well as 5 mins
pre-padding) on anything I record, but I still missed the last 30 seconds or
so. I presumed it was delayed rather than an error on my part. No I know
why: Cameroon throwing a hissy fit and arguing with the ref's decisions.

Shame that my PVR uses the EPG which is downloaded overnight, rather than
using the live start/stop times that broadcasters can tweak - if they can be
bothered - in this situation.

Old June 24th 19, 03:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

You hit the nail on the head here

I used to lose far less with 10 minutes padding than I now lose with
broadcasters not transmitting AR correctly (usually restricted only to a sub
set of channels)

I know of no machines which will let you select both (happy for someone to
correct me here). You have to choose one or the other - or simply get one
or the other hardcoded as the only choice.

tim