Could 'whistling' kill your PVR?

Old September 12th 16, 05:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

Default Could 'whistling' kill your PVR?

Umm, I wonder if a nefarious TV show could send you a tone that kills your
PVR. Perhaps embedded in an advert for the latest new PVR from insert
manufacturer as a way to boost sales?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37337868

Old September 13th 16, 08:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No.
However if you want to develop a conspiracy theory, there is no reason why
software could not just peg out on a certain date, Microsoft have been aking
such code for years!

----- -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old September 13th 16, 08:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Bloomin heck though over 130 db, the engineers would be deaf, never mind
shaking the hardware apart.
I doubt that you could do this inside a living room for the same effect
withoug causing other damage.

If you realy wanted to screw up a pvr hard drive simply send code to its
stepper mootors to play god save the queen and ten power cycle till it
fails.

----- -

Old September 13th 16, 08:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

However if vibration is possible, presumably there is a resonant frequency
and we might be able to do much better (i.e. quieter) than 130dB. Speaking
to some fellow engineers, apparently rack mounted kit especially can suffer
from vibrations caused by badly fitted fans so it does not need to be a
deafening sound to do damage.

My original post was somewhat tongue in cheek but I suspect it's not quite
as far fetched as it might seem, thought of course it's more likely to be
accidental, perhaps some film with heavy background noise at just the
right/wrong frequency.

Paul DS.
+++++++

Old September 13th 16, 09:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 13/09/16 08:50, Paul D Smith wrote:
However if vibration is possible, presumably there is a resonant
frequency and we might be able to do much better (i.e. quieter) than
130dB. Speaking to some fellow engineers, apparently rack mounted kit
especially can suffer from vibrations caused by badly fitted fans so it
does not need to be a deafening sound to do damage.

"Shouting in the Datacenter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

--
Adrian C
Old September 13th 16, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 09:46:43 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

However if vibration is possible, presumably there is a resonant
frequency and we might be able to do much better (i.e. quieter) than
130dB. Speaking to some fellow engineers, apparently rack mounted kit
especially can suffer from vibrations caused by badly fitted fans so it
does not need to be a deafening sound to do damage.

"Shouting in the Datacenter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

I remember being advised to tiptoe if I ever had to go into the sound
apparatus rooms in BBC Television Centre during a transmission because
the valve amplifiers were microphonic (which they were) - but disk
drives? Really? Well, I guess seeing is believing, and the effects
being measured appear to be very small ones you wouldn't notice
through normal use, but it's still remarkable.

Rod.
Old September 13th 16, 11:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:11:21 +0100, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

Umm, I wonder if a nefarious TV show could send you a tone that

kills your
PVR. Perhaps embedded in an advert for the latest new PVR from

insert
manufacturer as a way to boost sales?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37337868

I doubt that any kind of sound signal would harm a PVR as it has to
go through all kinds of circuits and filters, unlike the news story
which was about an actual (very loud) sound.

Reminds me of ideas to prevent home taping of records with an
ultrasonic tone that beats with the bias oscillator of the tape
recorder. I don't know if it ever was done, but any tone which is
inaudible could be filtered out.

The way to screw a PVR would be to transmit a fake over-air (or
Internet) update that screws the firmware.

--
Max Demian
Old September 13th 16, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

"Paul D Smith" Wrote in message:
Umm, I wonder if a nefarious TV show could send you a tone that kills your
PVR. Perhaps embedded in an advert for the latest new PVR from insert
manufacturer as a way to boost sales?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37337868

You can crash a Raspberry Pi by photographing it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/xen...-free-physics-
lesson/

Mind you, you could crash a ZX81 just by looking at it.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old September 13th 16, 04:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 11:22:48 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

The way to screw a PVR would be to transmit a fake over-air (or
Internet) update that screws the firmware.

or to let Humax rewrite the software in their latest models. We've had two
crashes in three days.

You can block that with the custom firmware...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 13th 16, 07:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 13/09/2016 16:51, Tim+ wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 11:22:48 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

The way to screw a PVR would be to transmit a fake over-air (or
Internet) update that screws the firmware.

or to let Humax rewrite the software in their latest models. We've had two
crashes in three days.

You can block that with the custom firmware...

Tim

care to elaborate how ?