The 'PERFECT' Audio/Video/Amplifier/Receiver (stereo, AM/FM, dolby etc - not satellite receiver)

Old April 30th 04, 09:35 PM
pgtr

Default The 'PERFECT' Audio/Video/Amplifier/Receiver (stereo, AM/FM, dolby etc - not satellite receiver)

I've recently been taking a hard look at my circa '96 Yamaha RXV870.
It's simply begun to run out of inputs for various devices... Thinking
about it I think I've got an idea of what the perfect receiver would
be to replace it with...

I'd ditch the Yamaha audio fx programs like 'church', 'jazz club' etc
as well as the 'home theatre', '70mm theatre' etc' - All I need is 1)
standard stereo mode and 2) Dolby surround. (The 'chuch' affect is
cool for certain types of music but I could live w/o it in the name of
simplification)

The sound settings should be 'memorized' for each input selection.
E.g. when I switch to CD player I would want it to automatically go to
standard stereo mode and when I switch to say DVD or whatever then it
'remembers' to go to Surround mode for example.

I'd like ot have something I'd call full-time input selection in
conjunction w/ video and pre-amp audio outputs (to the TV). E.g. I'd
like to be able to use the unit while it's OFF to still select between
input sources for the TV/Monitor. Many times I just don't want to
power up the receiver but still would like to watch listen via video
connections rather than ol' Ch. 3.

More/Different inputs of course:
dump tape
dump phono

CD
TUNER (AM/FM)
Audio Aux1 (???)
DVD
TV
SATellite
VCR
Video Aux1 (video game)
Video Aux2 (TIVO)
Video Aux3 (2nd VCR, ... MPeg)
Video Aux3 (Camcorder)

Maybe an extra audio only. I figure maybe 2 audio inputs and 8 or more
video inputs.

I wouldn't mind combining CD and DVD but I'd like to see some sort of
solution to automatically switching between surround and straight
stereo mode.

The usual stuff of course like tone controls and preamp out for a
subwoofer. I BIG display that can actually be seen across the room
would be nice (in addition to onscreen stuff).

I actually like a very SIMPLE design - that's why I used to like
Yamahas over brands like Sony or Kenwood or Pioneer that in teh past
often seemed too cluttered /w buttons. But my old Yamaha is a
compromise or halfway point - some of the esoteric audiophile brands
are even simpler w/ fewer buttons. I'm not looking for hoity toity
stuff or expensive audiophile brands but I definately would like
plenty of simplicity.

On/Off
Volume
Input selector
Record Out selector
Base/Treble
(dump balance?)
Stereo/Surround/Mono(?)
Surround settings (hidden?)
Tuner controls

I do admit that I like a big analog volume knob and miss the old
analog tuner knob that you could 'spin' across the dial...

Wattage isn't a big deal for me - maybe 70W or 100W max - just a good
quality amplifier w/ reasonable wattage is all I'm after.

So does anybody make my 'ideal' receiver?

What's your ideal receiver?
Old May 1st 04, 12:07 AM
MES

Denon AVR3805
"pgtr" pgtr(deletethisandsubstituteatsymbol)bigfoot[ot]com wrote in
message ...