updating Flash player in Panasonic web browser

Old August 2nd 12, 04:44 PM
semperlinux semperlinux is offline
Junior Member

Default updating Flash player in Panasonic web browser

Hi Forum,

I've just bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma - main reason was to watch Internet TV with the built-in web browser.
Model no is TX-P42ST50B

And now the fine print kicks in - "not all functions may be possible with the web browser".
To be more exact, it's not possible to update the Flash player which more or less renders the web browser unusable.

Anyone else confronted with this ?

More to the point, does anyone know if and when Panasonic might produce a patch to fix this ?

Many thanks,
Semperlinux
Old August 2nd 12, 07:27 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 15:44:07 +0100, semperlinux
wrote:

Hi Forum,

I've just bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma - main reason was to watch
Internet TV with the built-in web browser.
Model no is TX-P42ST50B

And now the fine print kicks in - "not all functions may be possible
with the web browser".
To be more exact, it's not possible to update the Flash player which
more or less renders the web browser unusable.

Anyone else confronted with this ?

More to the point, does anyone know if and when Panasonic might produce
a patch to fix this ?

Many thanks,
Semperlinux

If any updates are available, they would probably be on Panasonics
support site.

http://shop.panasonic.com/support/

Old August 3rd 12, 09:48 AM
semperlinux semperlinux is offline
Junior Member

"If any updates are available, they would probably be on Panasonics
support site."

"Looking at your model number, it is a European model number. You can
go to the global site for downloads, but looking at that site, it
states downloads can be done on screen. Perhaps it would be a good
idea to look in the owners manual."

Thanks for your replies.

I've checked with Panasonic Europe and it appears they have no update(s) for this problem - worse still, it seems like there is nothing planned.

The TV is indeed a European model - Swiss actually.
It automatically checks for software updates and it does work as I've seen it in operation - a very good system it is too.

The sad thing is, it appears there is no movement on fixing this - Panasonic seem to be quite happy to use the disclaimer on p. 19 of the user manual - this, of course, was NOT pointed out at the time of purchase.

My only hope (Obe wan Kenobe) is to somehow bring this unacceptable situiation to Panasonic Japans notice in the hope they might do something about it.

I find it ridiculous that Panasonic release a product where the browser Flash plugin is already out of date by the time it reaches market and there's no way of updating it.
After all, viewing TV content via the Internet is one of the biggest growth areas in current consumer media trends.

Anyone any ideas how we con do a bit of arm-twisting to get Panasonic to see some sense ?
Old August 3rd 12, 05:03 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
T. Keating

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:48:30 +0100, semperlinux
wrote:

[...]

This is just another reason not to waste extra $$$ purchasing a SMART TV.
I.E. It becomes a DUMB(out of date/non-standard) TV in short order.

The best solution is marry your TV (via HDMI) with some platform that receives regular
updates. I.E. Networked PC, MAC or andriod tablet.
Old August 3rd 12, 06:22 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
J G Miller[_4_]

On Friday, August 3rd, 2012, at 11:03:24h -0400, T Keating explained:

This is just another reason not to waste extra $$$ purchasing a SMART TV.
I.E. It becomes a DUMB(out of date/non-standard) TV in short order.

Too true. The practice of the SMART TV manufacturers/badgers appears to
be produce a model one year, provide updates in the form of bug fixes but
no new features for about 18 months, but in the following year bring out
another model with more features in the firmware, but never make those
available to the previous year's model.

This is no doubt why there is such enthusiasm for projects such as SAMY GO,
but which Samsung hate with a vengeance and have taken extensive steps
to prevent users from loading non-Samsung firmware.

And you thought when you bought a TV [or other electronic appliance]
you were going to be able to use it as you wanted ...
Old August 4th 12, 01:43 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

snip

--
semperlinux

If it were new and I used a credit card to purchase, I'd dispute the charges arguing
a primary feature of the product is not usable amd the mfg refuses to address the issue.

I won't buy a TV with any of these features as the mfg's simply have no intention of
updating them. Much better to get these features on a blue ray player or other
media player.At least, if they become obslolete, the replacement cost is much less.

Posted with NewsLeecher v4.0 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old October 18th 12, 07:56 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:44:07 AM UTC-5, semperlinux wrote:
Hi Forum,

I've just bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma - main reason was to watch

Internet TV with the built-in web browser.

Model no is TX-P42ST50B

And now the fine print kicks in - "not all functions may be possible

with the web browser".

To be more exact, it's not possible to update the Flash player which

more or less renders the web browser unusable.

Anyone else confronted with this ?

More to the point, does anyone know if and when Panasonic might produce

a patch to fix this ?

Many thanks,

Semperlinux

--

semperlinux

I am in the same boat with a 50" purchased in the US. Error when updating flash and error cannot be displayed in browser window.
Old November 19th 12, 07:56 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Just spent hour on the Chat with Panasonic then called in and talked to Technician, he said that the browser on the TV was built in just to check email and do regular surf, not for watching movies, so it will never play videos. for videos you have to use Apps like amazon app or youtube apps. So, TV has no memory to download and install flash. so bad, but it is what it is, use your laptop, ipod etc and connect via hdmi to use the web in full.

Old December 5th 12, 12:49 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Monday, 19 November 2012 13:56:38 UTC-5, wrote:
Just spent hour on the Chat with Panasonic then called in and talked to Technician, he said that the browser on the TV was built in just to check email and do regular surf, not for watching movies, so it will never play videos. for videos you have to use Apps like amazon app or youtube apps. So, TV has no memory to download and install flash. so bad, but it is what it is, use your laptop, ipod etc and connect via hdmi to use the web in full.

I'm online now with Panasonic support so I suspect I'll receive the answer you just provided. I can browse the Internet but not watch Flash movies. I'll keep connecting my laptop with HDMI cable and watch. Better than nothing..