A Home cinema forum. HomeCinemaBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HomeCinemaBanter forum » Home cinema newsgroups » High definition TV
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Online video



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 4th 09, 11:29 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Lloyd Parsons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 417
Default Online video

I've been researching online video to bring it to my TV at home. I
subscribe to Netflix, so that is the first thing I looked at. From my
computer, on a 3Mb DSL service, the quality is all over the place. Some
very good, others suck badly, but what all of it seems to have is
stop-motion often enough to be irritating.

Is it better with a Roku box or other hardware? At this point in time,
I've relegated the 'watch now' at Netflix to preview something I think I
might want to rent, vice watching it online.

Hulu seems fine, a bit of stop-motion, but nowhere near like Netflix.
But so far I've not seen something in hardware to get that to my TV, is
there something?

I have recently purchased an Apple TV because they have a broad
selection of things I can buy that I like, and since it downloads to my
system, it doesn't suffer from poor video quality nor stop-motion.

I would like to add something to get the internet streaming video to my
TV in addition to the Apple TV, but am still looking.

Roku looks nice, but it doesn't do anything more than Netflix and
Amazon. Amazon's video is better than Netflix overall, but it still
suffers from stop-motion.

Lloyd
  #2  
Old March 5th 09, 03:00 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
QN[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default Online video


"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
...
I've been researching online video to bring it to my TV at home. I
subscribe to Netflix, so that is the first thing I looked at. From my
computer, on a 3Mb DSL service, the quality is all over the place. Some
very good, others suck badly, but what all of it seems to have is
stop-motion often enough to be irritating.

Is it better with a Roku box or other hardware? At this point in time,
I've relegated the 'watch now' at Netflix to preview something I think I
might want to rent, vice watching it online.

Hulu seems fine, a bit of stop-motion, but nowhere near like Netflix.
But so far I've not seen something in hardware to get that to my TV, is
there something?

I have recently purchased an Apple TV because they have a broad
selection of things I can buy that I like, and since it downloads to my
system, it doesn't suffer from poor video quality nor stop-motion.

I would like to add something to get the internet streaming video to my
TV in addition to the Apple TV, but am still looking.

Roku looks nice, but it doesn't do anything more than Netflix and
Amazon. Amazon's video is better than Netflix overall, but it still
suffers from stop-motion.

Lloyd


I used to get stop-motion or slow frame rates with Netflix on a slower
computer. I now have a Roku box. Your frame rate will be smooth, but with
a 3meg connection your picture sharpness will be poor.



  #3  
Old March 5th 09, 03:58 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Lloyd Parsons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 417
Default Online video

In article ,
"QN" wrote:

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
...
I've been researching online video to bring it to my TV at home. I
subscribe to Netflix, so that is the first thing I looked at. From my
computer, on a 3Mb DSL service, the quality is all over the place. Some
very good, others suck badly, but what all of it seems to have is
stop-motion often enough to be irritating.

Is it better with a Roku box or other hardware? At this point in time,
I've relegated the 'watch now' at Netflix to preview something I think I
might want to rent, vice watching it online.

Hulu seems fine, a bit of stop-motion, but nowhere near like Netflix.
But so far I've not seen something in hardware to get that to my TV, is
there something?

I have recently purchased an Apple TV because they have a broad
selection of things I can buy that I like, and since it downloads to my
system, it doesn't suffer from poor video quality nor stop-motion.

I would like to add something to get the internet streaming video to my
TV in addition to the Apple TV, but am still looking.

Roku looks nice, but it doesn't do anything more than Netflix and
Amazon. Amazon's video is better than Netflix overall, but it still
suffers from stop-motion.

Lloyd


I used to get stop-motion or slow frame rates with Netflix on a slower
computer. I now have a Roku box. Your frame rate will be smooth, but with
a 3meg connection your picture sharpness will be poor.


Thanks for that info. I'm surprised that a 3Mb DSL connection would
cause poor sharpness. Oh well, the Apple TV is looking better and
better. It'll be here next week.
  #4  
Old March 5th 09, 04:02 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Lloyd Parsons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 417
Default Online video

In article ,
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

In article ,
"QN" wrote:

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
...
I've been researching online video to bring it to my TV at home. I
subscribe to Netflix, so that is the first thing I looked at. From my
computer, on a 3Mb DSL service, the quality is all over the place. Some
very good, others suck badly, but what all of it seems to have is
stop-motion often enough to be irritating.

Is it better with a Roku box or other hardware? At this point in time,
I've relegated the 'watch now' at Netflix to preview something I think I
might want to rent, vice watching it online.

Hulu seems fine, a bit of stop-motion, but nowhere near like Netflix.
But so far I've not seen something in hardware to get that to my TV, is
there something?

I have recently purchased an Apple TV because they have a broad
selection of things I can buy that I like, and since it downloads to my
system, it doesn't suffer from poor video quality nor stop-motion.

I would like to add something to get the internet streaming video to my
TV in addition to the Apple TV, but am still looking.

Roku looks nice, but it doesn't do anything more than Netflix and
Amazon. Amazon's video is better than Netflix overall, but it still
suffers from stop-motion.

Lloyd


I used to get stop-motion or slow frame rates with Netflix on a slower
computer. I now have a Roku box. Your frame rate will be smooth, but with
a 3meg connection your picture sharpness will be poor.


Thanks for that info. I'm surprised that a 3Mb DSL connection would
cause poor sharpness. Oh well, the Apple TV is looking better and
better. It'll be here next week.


I just tried Netflix and Hulu with Firefox instead of Safari 4. Smooth
video and very good quality. I thought that Safari 4 was faster than
Firefox. But I guess it isn't for video.
  #5  
Old March 5th 09, 08:27 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Mike Ray
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default Online video

Lloyd Parsons wrote:
In article ,
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

In article ,
"QN" wrote:

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
...
I've been researching online video to bring it to my TV at home. I
subscribe to Netflix, so that is the first thing I looked at. From my
computer, on a 3Mb DSL service, the quality is all over the place. Some
very good, others suck badly, but what all of it seems to have is
stop-motion often enough to be irritating.

Is it better with a Roku box or other hardware? At this point in time,
I've relegated the 'watch now' at Netflix to preview something I think I
might want to rent, vice watching it online.

Hulu seems fine, a bit of stop-motion, but nowhere near like Netflix.
But so far I've not seen something in hardware to get that to my TV, is
there something?

I have recently purchased an Apple TV because they have a broad
selection of things I can buy that I like, and since it downloads to my
system, it doesn't suffer from poor video quality nor stop-motion.

I would like to add something to get the internet streaming video to my
TV in addition to the Apple TV, but am still looking.

Roku looks nice, but it doesn't do anything more than Netflix and
Amazon. Amazon's video is better than Netflix overall, but it still
suffers from stop-motion.

Lloyd
I used to get stop-motion or slow frame rates with Netflix on a slower
computer. I now have a Roku box. Your frame rate will be smooth, but with
a 3meg connection your picture sharpness will be poor.

Thanks for that info. I'm surprised that a 3Mb DSL connection would
cause poor sharpness. Oh well, the Apple TV is looking better and
better. It'll be here next week.


I just tried Netflix and Hulu with Firefox instead of Safari 4. Smooth
video and very good quality. I thought that Safari 4 was faster than
Firefox. But I guess it isn't for video.


I have been trying this also. I watched some old SD missed TV shows
(Bones) using Hulu with Firefox on a 512Kb (yes .5Mb) connection and it
was good with only a few very brief glitches. I was pleased and
surprised. I used an Acer Aspire 5672WLMI with a DVI out to my HDTV.
  #6  
Old March 5th 09, 08:42 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Lloyd Parsons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 417
Default Online video

In article ,
Mike Ray wrote:

Lloyd Parsons wrote:
In article ,
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

In article ,
"QN" wrote:

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
...
I've been researching online video to bring it to my TV at home. I
subscribe to Netflix, so that is the first thing I looked at. From my
computer, on a 3Mb DSL service, the quality is all over the place. Some
very good, others suck badly, but what all of it seems to have is
stop-motion often enough to be irritating.

Is it better with a Roku box or other hardware? At this point in time,
I've relegated the 'watch now' at Netflix to preview something I think I
might want to rent, vice watching it online.

Hulu seems fine, a bit of stop-motion, but nowhere near like Netflix.
But so far I've not seen something in hardware to get that to my TV, is
there something?

I have recently purchased an Apple TV because they have a broad
selection of things I can buy that I like, and since it downloads to my
system, it doesn't suffer from poor video quality nor stop-motion.

I would like to add something to get the internet streaming video to my
TV in addition to the Apple TV, but am still looking.

Roku looks nice, but it doesn't do anything more than Netflix and
Amazon. Amazon's video is better than Netflix overall, but it still
suffers from stop-motion.

Lloyd
I used to get stop-motion or slow frame rates with Netflix on a slower
computer. I now have a Roku box. Your frame rate will be smooth, but
with
a 3meg connection your picture sharpness will be poor.
Thanks for that info. I'm surprised that a 3Mb DSL connection would
cause poor sharpness. Oh well, the Apple TV is looking better and
better. It'll be here next week.


I just tried Netflix and Hulu with Firefox instead of Safari 4. Smooth
video and very good quality. I thought that Safari 4 was faster than
Firefox. But I guess it isn't for video.


I have been trying this also. I watched some old SD missed TV shows
(Bones) using Hulu with Firefox on a 512Kb (yes .5Mb) connection and it
was good with only a few very brief glitches. I was pleased and
surprised. I used an Acer Aspire 5672WLMI with a DVI out to my HDTV.


That is interesting. I would have expected it to be pretty bad with
that connection speed. I can't hook a computer to my HDTV 'cause it
doesn't support connecting to a computer (and I tried anyway).

More than likely I'll get a Roku box somewhere along the way as I like
tech toys. With it and Apple TV I would have iTunes, Netflix, Amazon
and YouTube covered. Hulu seems to not want to come to your TV at all
unless you do what you've done. Roku was supposed to get it at one
point, and Boxee was too, but as of now, neither will.
  #7  
Old March 5th 09, 10:14 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
metspitzer[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 57
Default Online video

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:42:20 -0600, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

That is interesting. I would have expected it to be pretty bad with
that connection speed. I can't hook a computer to my HDTV 'cause it
doesn't support connecting to a computer (and I tried anyway).

It won't give you HD, but have you considered using an S Video cable?
  #8  
Old March 5th 09, 10:31 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Lloyd Parsons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 417
Default Online video

In article ,
metspitzer wrote:

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:42:20 -0600, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

That is interesting. I would have expected it to be pretty bad with
that connection speed. I can't hook a computer to my HDTV 'cause it
doesn't support connecting to a computer (and I tried anyway).

It won't give you HD, but have you considered using an S Video cable?


I've seen video on my 61" HDTV from an S Video cable. It isn't pretty!


I'm contemplating setting up a media center with a Mac mini to allow for
those sites I can get to online. So far, I've not found a solution that
makes that work too well for good SD and HD. But that is a somewhat
expensive solution, even if I get it to work.

I have an Apple TV coming that will fill many of my wants in this arena,
but doesn't connect to Amazon or Netflix. Amazon isn't a big deal as
most of what they have, iTunes has. Netflix is the bigger part and the
Roku box will do that just fine. Cheaper than doing a media center.

I would like something to do Hulu and others with. And as I found out
today, I may have to add a windows box to the mix somewhere along the
line as some sites won't work from the mac. Like tnt.tv. Can't play
full episodes there because of the FSCKING DRM they are using.

I'm retired so time isn't of the essence in this.

Lloyd
  #9  
Old July 24th 17, 01:50 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Online video

ITunes cannot connect to iPad I cannot get to my Acer computer and can I do
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GET PAID $2000 PER WEEK FROM ONLINE MONEY MAKING PROGRAMME.THE REALPROGRAMME IN ONLINE williams parker UK digital tv 0 October 24th 08 01:44 PM
ITV online Video Player problems Roger Mills UK digital tv 14 October 27th 07 02:17 PM
Google wants your video content, you get PAID per online view. [email protected] Satellite dbs 2 April 15th 05 09:07 AM
DVD Video & Audio reviews online John Sunier Home theater (general) 0 November 3rd 04 07:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 HomeCinemaBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.