Best for long runs, DVI or VGA?

Old August 17th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Vitamin R

Default Best for long runs, DVI or VGA?

I'm installing a projector at work in our conference room and will need
about a 50' run. Our equipment uses both DVI and VGA so I can use either, so
which is better for a long run? I would have thought DVI, but a local
installer we got some equipment quotes on thinks that VGA is better for long
runs. Which is better to use?

Old August 18th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
mykey

On Aug 16, 3:54 pm, "Vitamin R" wrote:
I'm installing a projector at work in our conference room and will need
about a 50' run. Our equipment uses both DVI and VGA so I can use either, so
which is better for a long run? I would have thought DVI, but a local
installer we got some equipment quotes on thinks that VGA is better for long
runs. Which is better to use?

DVI is, in resolution
1600X1200= 1 meter
1024X768= 9 meters
over 9 meters= DVI repeater recommended
long distance= fiber optic conversion recommended

VGA= 1024X768= 9 meters
VGA lower resolution only w/ distribution amp.

in other words the longer you run either the more you require
a distribution system. The longer the run is without the repeater,
the lower the resolution becomes.

Old August 18th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Vitamin R

"mykey" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

So you think I would be safer with DVI over VGA? I run an 11 meter DVI in my
home theater which delivers a flawless 1080p at 1920x1080, so you think a
repeater would be required to run 1024x768 from an 18 meter cable?

Old August 19th 07, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
mykey

On Aug 18, 2:36 pm, "Vitamin R" wrote:
"mykey" wrote in message

So you think I would be safer with DVI over VGA?

yes

I run an 11 meter DVI in my
home theater which delivers a flawless 1080p at 1920x1080, so you think a
repeater would be required to run 1024x768 from an 18 meter cable?

the repeater is recommended to interface 2 X 9 meter DVI patch cords
but if your satisfied without the repeater, that works OK too.
supposedly, the DVI output only provides enough drive for a short
cable.
and OK on the cable too, a silver wire has much less loss compared to
copper.

Old August 20th 07, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Vitamin R

ups.com...
"mykey" wrote in message

So you think I would be safer with DVI over VGA?

yes

I run an 11 meter DVI in my
home theater which delivers a flawless 1080p at 1920x1080, so you think a
repeater would be required to run 1024x768 from an 18 meter cable?

the repeater is recommended to interface 2 X 9 meter DVI patch cords
but if your satisfied without the repeater, that works OK too.
supposedly, the DVI output only provides enough drive for a short
cable.
and OK on the cable too, a silver wire has much less loss compared to
copper.

Cool, I'll make sure to look at silver.

Old September 24th 07, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
hi-ho

I would like to clarify - it really depends what mode the DVI transfer is
operating in - digital or analogue - the standard can cover both (DVI-I or
DVI-A)). If digital only (DVI-D), the cable length will not deteriorate by
distance - simply become unreliable and then stop when the digital siginal
becomes too low or effected bycable induced interference and thus cannot be
reliably decoded by the receiver - which really depends on the sensitivity
of the receiver and the induced noise on the cable. This is the very nature
of digital signals ie. "it works until it doesn't". If you run DVI in
analogue - then it is much the same as VGA re distance.

I would go with DVI-D over VGA.

"Vitamin R" wrote in message

ups.com...