What To Do With Old DTV Equip

Old September 23rd 05, 03:11 PM

Default What To Do With Old DTV Equip

I switched to Dish recently from DirectTV (my DSL co. started selling
Dish and had some nice deals so I figured what the hell). Anyway, I now
have the DirectTV dish and 4 receivers sitting in my living room. I
originally got everything at Circuit City about 4 years ago. All the
receivers have cards, but of course I cancelled my account last week.
Is this mess worth putting on eBay or anything or should I just trash
everything? If I did sell it to someone, is my name/account totally out
of the picture or could it someday come back to haunt me? Thanks!

Old September 24th 05, 08:31 PM

Clark Zahn wrote:
If you provide your own equipment you don't have to commit to a year's
service.

There is no termination fee if you return the equipment. If you got it for
free, and are dropping the service, why would you keep it?

--
---

Old September 25th 05, 11:29 PM
Clark Zahn

Carl Keehn wrote:

"Clark Zahn" wrote in message

If you provide your own equipment you don't have to commit to a year's
service.

Not true, DirecTV will require a minimum of a year committment to activate a
non "Advanced Technology" receiver. Advanced Technology receivers require a
two year committment. They will also require that you get new access cards.

What is advanced technology equipment? My last new receiver was a TIVO
that I bought at a store. That was about 4 years ago. They required a
one year committment. Previously I activated a regular receiver that I
purchased at a store and they didn't require any committment. That was
a few years, ago.

Clark Zahn

Old September 26th 05, 01:25 AM
Gary Tait

Clark Zahn wrote in
nk.net:

Carl Keehn wrote:

"Clark Zahn" wrote in message

If you provide your own equipment you don't have to commit to a
year's service.

Not true, DirecTV will require a minimum of a year committment to
activate a non "Advanced Technology" receiver. Advanced Technology
receivers require a two year committment. They will also require
that you get new access cards.

What is advanced technology equipment? My last new receiver was a
TIVO that I bought at a store. That was about 4 years ago. They
required a one year committment. Previously I activated a regular
receiver that I purchased at a store and they didn't require any
committment. That was a few years, ago.

Clark Zahn

A DVR counts as "Advanced". The 2 year commitment thing is recent.

Old September 26th 05, 02:32 AM
Bob Nielsen

Gary Tait wrote:
Clark Zahn wrote in
nk.net:

Carl Keehn wrote:

"Clark Zahn" wrote in message

If you provide your own equipment you don't have to commit to a
year's service.

Not true, DirecTV will require a minimum of a year committment to
activate a non "Advanced Technology" receiver. Advanced Technology
receivers require a two year committment. They will also require
that you get new access cards.

What is advanced technology equipment? My last new receiver was a
TIVO that I bought at a store. That was about 4 years ago. They
required a one year committment. Previously I activated a regular
receiver that I purchased at a store and they didn't require any
committment. That was a few years, ago.

Clark Zahn

A DVR counts as "Advanced". The 2 year commitment thing is recent.

I suspect the commitment is related to the fact that DirecTV now gives
the hardware away. In the past, the one year commitment was enough to
cover the subsidized cost, but not "free". I paid $250 for my DVR and
$50 for a bottom-of-the-line receiver (with dish) in early 2003.

Old September 26th 05, 08:09 PM
Gary Tait

Bob Nielsen wrote in news:43374198$0$4861
:

I suspect the commitment is related to the fact that DirecTV now gives
the hardware away. In the past, the one year commitment was enough to
cover the subsidized cost, but not "free". I paid $250 for my DVR and
$50 for a bottom-of-the-line receiver (with dish) in early 2003.

It is more related to that the DVRs cost DirecTV more to buy than a
straight receiver. I'd gus something on the lines of $300 for a DVE, 150
for a straight receiver.