Can I send the VHF throught a diplexor backwards?

Old March 1st 05, 04:04 PM
Fred

Default Can I send the VHF throught a diplexor backwards?

I want to use the VHF (channel 3) output of my DirecTV reciever to send
to other TVs in my house. I only have the single coax feed going to
this receiver from the dish. Can I use a diplexor on this coax line
with the satallite signal comming in and the VHF signal going back down
the line into my basement?

Old March 1st 05, 04:20 PM
Bill Henley

Fred wrote:

I want to use the VHF (channel 3) output of my DirecTV reciever to send
to other TVs in my house. I only have the single coax feed going to
this receiver from the dish. Can I use a diplexor on this coax line
with the satallite signal comming in and the VHF signal going back down
the line into my basement?

Sure you can - the diplexor isn't directional. You should have a PAIR
of them though. One at the receiver to put onto the coax and another (I
guess in your basement) to take the VHF (and UHF) off and connect to the
rest of the house. Depending on total cable length and number of
locations, you may need signal amplification of the receiver's output.

--

Bill Henley
Old March 1st 05, 05:24 PM
rcbridge

I don't understand why do you want a di-plexer in line?
Are you at present using one to combine sat with OTA?
If not just run the 3/4 rf output directly to the other set!!

--
rcbridge, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

Old March 3rd 05, 01:07 AM

Absolutely not RF current does not travel through a device,its path is
around the outside of the shield but then that would be too
complicated to explain^&$(%

Old March 3rd 05, 01:14 AM

Absolutely not RF current does not travel through a device,its path is
around the outside of the shield but then that would be too
complicated to explain^&$(% Just use the line feature of a vcr to
forward access of channel 3/4

Old March 3rd 05, 06:18 PM
Timothy Daniels

Absolutely not RF current does not travel through a device,its path is
around the outside of the shield but then that would be too
complicated to explain

True, but not for *energy*. In the case of coaxial cable - which acts like
a waveguide, with the majority of the RF *energy* carried in the electro-
magnetic wave that exists between the center and outer conductors -
the higher the frequency, the more this is true. As for the RF *current*
through the conductors, that travels very near the surface of the conductors,
with virtually none deep within the conductors, and that, also, becomes
more pronounced with increasing frequency. That is why cable TV has
for years gotten away with copper plated center conductors - only the
thin layer of copper has to carry the RF current, anyway. But for long runs
(200+ ft) of RG6 for satellite reception that requires a DC voltage/current
for power to LNBs and/or to command multiplexers, a solid copper center
conductor will help.

*TimDaniels*
Old March 4th 05, 04:59 AM

See how quick you are to catch on now assume a coax worked same as a
transformer, in that the number of raps effects its secondary and
primary out put. Little too fast huh? ok the center conductor creates
an RF field ,that gets amplified by the shield ( secendary sts) this
creates a stronger RF current so why not amplify the whole thing Two
more times by shielding the shield and appling it to the type of energy
that fuels itsself . The Solid center is better than stranded because
it has no inductance!There would be no need for amplifiers nor Diodes
to stop DC current from changing its polarity! They're still giving me
the radium treatments from under the bed^&*%#

Old March 9th 05, 12:00 AM

See how quick you are to catch on now assume a coax worked same as a
transformer, in that the center(primary) effects its output of its
Shield( secondary) . Little too fast huh? ok the center conductor
creates
an RF field ,that gets amplified by the shield ( secendary sts) this

creates a stronger RF current so why not amplify the whole thing Two
more times by shielding the shield and appling it to the type of energy

that fuels itsself . The Solid center is better than stranded because
it has no inductance! So a copper plated dialitric would serve as a
solid non stranded Shield that has no inductance!So the only hurdle
would be impediance.Getting the corect distancebetween fields that
would act to amplifi rather than induce voltages that would interfere,
there would be no need for amplifiers nor Diodes
to stop RF current from changing its polarity! ^&*%#

Old March 9th 05, 12:12 AM

[...]

to stop RF current from changing its polarity!No more Rain fade or
Solar flares!! ^&*%#