Must sign in to iPLayer

Old November 8th 18, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dean Jackson

Default Must sign in to iPLayer

On 08/11/2018 08:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
But not for much longer.
The bbc have asked the government to abolish the free licence I gather.
Did you also see how many black and white licences they have out there? How
can this be as no black and white tv can get digital to my knowledge.
It seems to me that if blind people want to be cheapskate, we merely get a
b/w one instead of the blind one.
Brian

It is said that they will keep the free one for the over 80's
D.J.
Old November 9th 18, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article
,
says...

Even though the STB can receive colour. I think VCR owners
with b/w sets still had to get a colour licence, though I
suppose they were producing tapes that /could/ have been
played through a colour TV.

When our daughter had her first flat she had a monochrome TV
and licence to match.

Then someone gave her a VCR and, because it could record
programmes in colour although, of course she could only watch
them in B & W, she was now supposed to buy a colour licence!
(What bureaucratic clown thought that one up?)

I would place the odds of detection in the range of very
slight to zero, especially in a block of flats surrounded by
lots of - presumably licenced - colour sets but she was still
worried. Could I do something? she asked.

So I went over to take a look, wondering what to do. Something
simple and easily reversed if required in the future. A short
across the subcarrier crystal, perhaps? When I saw the VCR, it
was a Ferguson with a B & W/Colour slide switch on the back!

Just for the hell of it, as I just happened to have something
suitable with me (no idea, now, what it was) I took the VCR
apart, removed one switch securing screw and loosened the
other. Then I inserted a shim between the switch and the back
panel and pushed it up flush with the knob, bodged a hole in
it for the screw, which I then replaced and tightened up the
other.

When reassembled, she had a VCR which could record only in B &
W and demonstrably could not be switched to record in colour,
either by accident or design!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Old November 9th 18, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/11/2018 15:40, Max Demian wrote:

I think they normally trace people through the addresses that dealers
are supposed to collect and pass on to the licensing authorities. If the
VCR was given to her this wouldn't have applied.

Yes for years we had to record all the sales of satellite receivers.
They insisted on a separate form for each receiver so sometimes we had
to send twenty identical forms. This was when we supplied an HMP with
receivers at the head-end of the distribution system, plus spares.

Old November 10th 18, 12:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On 09/11/2018 15:40, Max Demian wrote:

I think they normally trace people through the addresses that dealers
are supposed to collect and pass on to the licensing authorities. If the
VCR was given to her this wouldn't have applied.

Yes for years we had to record all the sales of satellite receivers.
They insisted on a separate form for each receiver so sometimes we had
to send twenty identical forms. This was when we supplied an HMP with
receivers at the head-end of the distribution system, plus spares.

Bill

It's no longer a requirment to pass on that information. Too many
Mickey Mouse's responded I guess.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 10th 18, 05:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/11/2018 23:04, Graham. wrote:
On 09/11/2018 15:40, Max Demian wrote:

I think they normally trace people through the addresses that dealers
are supposed to collect and pass on to the licensing authorities. If the
VCR was given to her this wouldn't have applied.

Yes for years we had to record all the sales of satellite receivers.
They insisted on a separate form for each receiver so sometimes we had
to send twenty identical forms. This was when we supplied an HMP with
receivers at the head-end of the distribution system, plus spares.

Bill

It's no longer a requirment to pass on that information. Too many
Mickey Mouse's responded I guess.

Yes they wrote to us and said don't bother any more. We still have the
books of forms somewhere.

Old November 10th 18, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 13:49:48 -0000, Terry Casey
wrote:

[...]

You could have saved a lot of bother just by making sure she knew that
TV licence enforcement officers (or whatever they're officially
called) don't have any legal right of entry to your home. Nor are you
obliged to answer any of their questions. You can tell them (politely
of course) to get themselves hence and there's nothing they can do.

Rod.

---

Old November 10th 18, 10:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

However, they can - if they feel it essential - involve other bodies who do
have the right of entry.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old November 10th 18, 09:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/11/2018 09:27, charles wrote:

You could have saved a lot of bother just by making sure she knew that
TV licence enforcement officers (or whatever they're officially
called) don't have any legal right of entry to your home. Nor are you
obliged to answer any of their questions. You can tell them (politely
of course) to get themselves hence and there's nothing they can do.

However, they can - if they feel it essential - involve other bodies who do
have the right of entry.

Not round here. South Yorkshire Police are too busy chasing people who
have said legal but upsetting things.

Old November 12th 18, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 09:59:07 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 08/11/18 09:38, Clive Page wrote:
On 07/11/2018 22:31, Marland wrote:
Have you got a back button on your remote?
Pressing that on our Samsung when it request the sign in takes us to the
normal IPlayer screen.

Thanks, I have a Humax video-recorder but that might work, I'll try it.

I think that means I miss out on features like programme suggestions etc
but I can live with that.
I did actually sign in once but at some point it asked again and having
forgotten what I signed in as could not be arsed to do it again.

But I did sign in (right pain, having to do it on another device and then copy a code across).

The result is that the iPlayer on the TV does display suggestions (none of which I'm remotely interesting in, so much for AI) and also shows all the iPlayer programmes that we've finished watching, as if we might want to watch them again. This means that the one we're currently part way through is just one among a long list, thus quite hard to find. I've tried to work out how to delete items from this list, but without success. I think it might have been better not to log in, but too late now, as there seems to be no way to un-log in. Ah well, another 1st world problem.

You can delete your account. They still keep all your info, of course,
even if you delete the account, so you'd have to create another account
with a different name if you wanted to use iPlayer again.

Are we not now entitled to have a written request of what information
is being held? In which case if everyone started asking for it they
might just drop the requirement.

--
AnthonyL