Data transfer to HDTV USB port

Old August 15th 16, 10:46 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default Data transfer to HDTV USB port

I'm finishing up a project I started back in June, ripping close to 500 DVD's to
a 4Tb HD which I'm hooking up to my TV by USB port. During this project, I've
had what I consider very slow speeds when transferring the .mp4 files I created
from my PC to the external drive I'm using The cable I'm transferring with is
rather slim/thin. I noticed that, after I found a fatter or more substantial
cable, the transfers went faster. Still not great but up to 80Mb/s from 40Mb/s.
My question then is does the thickness of the cable I'm using make a diference?
Is there more shielding? I want the best connection I can get from the drive to
the TV when I'm done and hook the drive up. When I look at Western Digital
compatible data cables for a My Book drive, they don't indicate the thickness of
the cable so I can't tell what I'm buying. Thanks.
Old August 15th 16, 11:22 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Stephen H. Fischer

Look at the computer end of the cable.

If the bar is blue then when plugged into a USB connector on the computer
that is also blue you will get the fastest transfer rates.

The speed of the two hard drives also come into play as you can transfer
data faster than drives(s) can supply or provide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

The color for a desktop computer USB connectors on the front may be of the
wrong color, so be careful.

"USB 3.0 has transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, which is about ten times
faster than USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/s) even before taking into account the fact
that USB 3.0 is full duplex whereas USB 2.0 is half duplex. This gives USB
3.0 a potential total bandwidth, if used both ways, of twenty times that of
USB 2.0.[8]"

It is not necessarily the thickness of the cable but how it is designed and
made. Both my Segate 1TB drives have a blue connector.

Old August 15th 16, 11:51 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:22:18 -0700, "Stephen H. Fischer"
wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm dealing with USB 3.0 all the way
around. The connectors on both my computer, which is only a year old, and custom
designed and built, has only USB 3.0, including a PCI card with four extra 3.0,
and the MB also has two USM 3.1 ready ports. Bothe the external drives I'm
working with, are 4Tb Western Digital My Book drives and are USB 3.0. And the
cables I'm using are all 3.0. I've been told the same thing as you're saying
about 5 Gbit/s. I'm nowhere near that and can't figure out why. I'm running an
Intel i7 6 core processor with 16Gb RAM, so I would think my system is up to the
task all the way around. Yet still these miserable transfer speeds. I've talked
to the outsourced "tech support" for Western Digital and their answer is, I'm
just transferring a lot of data so it's going to be slow. I transfer three maybe
four files at a time which are about 4-5Gb. I also talked to ASUS which makes my
MB to see if I needed a bios update or anything and they were no help.
Old August 16th 16, 01:18 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Jim Wilkins[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

http://hddscan.com/

You could test an SSD on an external adapter cable like this
https://www.apricorn.com/sata-wire-3.html
to see how fast the computer is. My older flea-market laptops max out
at 140 MB/S on a USB3 ExpressCard.

EZ-Gig IV will clone Win 10, which I free-upgraded onto a larger SSD
than it deserves, so I moved it onto a $40 Kingston. I'm in that tiny
irrelevant minority that records TV from an antenna with 7 Media
Center, which MS abandoned in 8 and 10.

The speed of HDDs decreases to around 1/2 the initial rate as the head
moves toward the center. See HDDScan's "HDD from Inside" etc, and hope
Russians as smart as him don't become our enemies again.

Using HDTune 2.55 (which chokes on drives over 2TB) a Seagate Goflex
2TB gave a flat 120 MB/S to 85% of capacity, then ramped down to 95
MB/S.

The measured read speed is somewhat sensitive to the block size, which
I now leave at the default for consistency. HDTune and HDDScan don't
give identical speed results. Only HDDScan can read SMART data over a
USB cable. HDTune changes your Power Option settings. Both show false
glitches from competing system accesses when used on the boot drive.

--jsw