Audio time lag and other basics

Old October 4th 08, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Robert Barr

Default Audio time lag and other basics

OK, so I bought my first HDTV, a 5-series Samsung. Great picture from
an over-the-air antenna. The TV's audio isn't the greatest, and I'd
like better.

What I used to do was pipe the audio out from my SDTV to a regular FM
receiver's tape monitor input, so the stereo system would work
simultaneously with the TV's speaker. Primitive, but a lot nicer than
using just the TV's audio.

When I try this with the Samsung, it seems that the televsion's audio is
a split-second behind the audio sent to the stereo receiver, so there's
a really annoying echo effect. I don't know HOW this happens, I just
know that it does.

Is there any easy way around this?

If not, next question: With an AV receiver, what generates the audio?
In other words, do I run an antenna lead to the AV receiver as well as
the television itself, so the receiver can tune the audio portion
entirely separate from the television set, or do I simply pipe the TV's
audio into the AV receiver? If so, why wouldn't I experience the same
time lag problem as I'm having now?

I've read through all sorts of FAQ's and Basics describing the home
theater topic, but nothing answers my questions.

If I have to purchase a HTiB, that can be arranged -- I don't need the
best & latest, just something better than the Samsung TV by itself.

Thanks in advance.

RB
Old October 4th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Art[_2_]

You will have to check your Samsumg tv settings to see if they have an audio
timing adjustment. Many do. If you go with a new receiver the antenna goes
to the receiver and then (usually a HDMI) cable goes to the tv. Buy a HDMI
cable cheap at www.monoprice.com.

The receive should have the timing adjustment. I have an Onkyo and it is
terrific.

Old October 5th 08, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Italo

"Robert Barr" wrote in message

When I try this with the Samsung, it seems that the televsion's audio is a
split-second behind the audio sent to the stereo receiver, so there's a
really annoying echo effect. I don't know HOW this happens, I just know
that it does.

Is there any easy way around this?

Yes, just turn down the audio from your TV. Any signal piped to a
receiver/amplifier is going to suffer from slight lag.

--
Italo

Old October 6th 08, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Robert Barr

Is there any easy way around this?

Yes, just turn down the audio from your TV. Any signal piped to a
receiver/amplifier is going to suffer from slight lag.

--
Italo

I've experienced this in a different system with the audio tuned both by
a TV and a DVD recorder separately; in that case, I simply turned the TV
volume all the way down. What's odd about this is the echo / delay
occurs on the audio out no matter what. I turned off the television's
speaker and I still get the tunnel effect, so the time lag is between
the left and right sides of the audio.

TV is brand new. Not sure it should be doing this.

I tried a pair of headphones, again with the TV speaker off, and the
audio is fine. I'm thinking of picking up a 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapter
and feeding that to my stereo receiver instead of using the TV's audio out.

I have no idea why this should be the way it is, and I wonder if an
identical TV would behave differently (in other words, if my set is
sick. It was just delivered a few days ago.)