HITS2Home Coming to an End

Old January 23rd 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
BigFoot

Default HITS2Home Coming to an End

SkyReport

The satellite-centric HITS2Home platform operated by the Comcast Media
Center, known for its efforts in supporting programming services
delivered to small cable operators, is preparing to cease operations
this summer.

According to sources, Comcast Media Center's contract for carriage of
HITS programming on Galaxy satellite capacity expires in June. Also,
there are very few affiliates for the service, given that Ku-Band
frequencies can't offer the better signal quality of C-Band. In
addition, the HITS2Home platform cannot support advanced services like
video-on-demand.

Nonetheless, the Comcast Media Center is expected to announce more
details about the platform in conjunction with the upcoming winter
conference held by the National Cable Television Cooperative. The
programming and hardware buying cooperative represents more than 1,100
independent MSOs, their individual systems and more than 12 million
subscribers nationwide.
Old January 24th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
BigFoot

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:23:17 GMT, BigFoot
wrote:

given that Ku-Band frequencies can't offer
the better signal quality of C-Band.

True/False....or was this in regards to consumer equipment?
Old January 24th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Ron Purdue[_2_]

I say that the HITS2 are moving to c-band because in order to get more 4DTV
customers to subscribe to the NPS Absolute Digital Package. The Pix quailty
is the same on KU band as on C-Band. Try http://www.satforums.com and see
what's really going on!

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 29th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
alt

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:26:23 +0000, BigFoot wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:23:17 GMT, BigFoot wrote:

given that Ku-Band frequencies can't offer
the better signal quality of C-Band.

True/False....or was this in regards to consumer equipment?

It doesn't matter. As long as you have a good Eb/No, there is no
difference. The real difference between the two is rain fade.
Old January 29th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
alt

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:23:17 +0000, BigFoot wrote:

SkyReport

The satellite-centric HITS2Home platform operated by the Comcast Media
Center, known for its efforts in supporting programming services
delivered to small cable operators, is preparing to cease operations
this summer.

I feel a tad sorry for Skyvision. I don't know how much he put into
buying receivers and whatnot, but he's taken the DSR-410 product off his
web page.

Old January 30th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Foot

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:06:24 -0600, alt wrote:

I feel a tad sorry for Skyvision. I don't know how much he put into
buying receivers and whatnot, but he's taken the DSR-410 product off his
web page.

I recall that smaller rural cable outfits could use HITS via small
dish setup at customer premise.

I suspect that's were he was getting his stock...
Old January 30th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
alt

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 00:57:00 +0000, Foot wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:06:24 -0600, alt wrote:

I feel a tad sorry for Skyvision. I don't know how much he put into
buying receivers and whatnot, but he's taken the DSR-410 product off his
web page.

I recall that smaller rural cable outfits could use HITS via small dish
setup at customer premise.

I suspect that's were he was getting his stock...

I hope he didn't sink too much money into that. I'd hate to see a big
dish supplier disappear.
Old January 31st 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
alt

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 00:57:00 +0000, Foot wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:06:24 -0600, alt wrote:

I feel a tad sorry for Skyvision. I don't know how much he put into
buying receivers and whatnot, but he's taken the DSR-410 product off his
web page.

I recall that smaller rural cable outfits could use HITS via small dish
setup at customer premise.

That was the original intent. Most, if not all, cable co's have upgraded
their systems at this time. And of course, there are two silly little
dish providers these days in the US (and two in Canada).