Recording 2 shows at once

Old January 27th 05, 08:32 AM

Default Recording 2 shows at once

I have an old ultimate-tv system that I love. I frequently
record-2-programs or watch one while recording something else. Problem
is that mine keeps me locked into directv and for several reasons, I'd
like to switch to comcast cable. It's the dual recorder function that
made me choose ultimate in the first place and it appears to me that
tivo still only has one unit that is capable of recording 2 things at
once -or even let me watch one channel while recording another- and
it's a directv-specific unit. Is that correct? I work evenings and
sometimes record two programs that run the same time but I really love
the feature for sports programs that often overlap each other. Over 20
years ago the VCR makers figured out quickly how to allow us watch one
thing while recording something else--obviously they could only record
one thing, but at least we could watch another channel at the same
time. Can it be that tivo still hasn't? I talked to a rep from the
company about a year ago who explained that there was very little
demand for the feature but he told me that they would probably adding
it soon. Does anyone know if it's being done yet other than in the
one unit for Directv? Thanks.

Old January 27th 05, 02:25 PM
Randy S.

It's the dual recorder function that
made me choose ultimate in the first place and it appears to me that
tivo still only has one unit that is capable of recording 2 things at
once -or even let me watch one channel while recording another- and
it's a directv-specific unit. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, at this time, yes. The standalone Tivo's have only a
single tuner so can only record or show one live show at a time. Dual
tuners is a greatly desired feature, at least in this group.

I work evenings and
sometimes record two programs that run the same time but I really love
the feature for sports programs that often overlap each other. Over 20
years ago the VCR makers figured out quickly how to allow us watch one
thing while recording something else--obviously they could only record
one thing, but at least we could watch another channel at the same
time. Can it be that tivo still hasn't?

No, you watch something else while the Tivo is recording by using
virtually the same method that the VCR used. Split your incoming signal
coax with one going to your Tivo and one going to your TV. Connect the
Tivo to the TV via a non coax connection (i.e. RCA cables and/or
S-video). Then, if the Tivo is recording something and you want to
watch something different live, simply switch the TV's input source to
the coax connection rather than the Tivo input. Unfortunately you won't
have any of the standard Tivo functions while watching this way, but
it's better than nothing at all.

I talked to a rep from the
company about a year ago who explained that there was very little
demand for the feature but he told me that they would probably adding
it soon. Does anyone know if it's being done yet other than in the
one unit for Directv? Thanks.

I think saying that there's little demand is misdirection. OTOH, many
customers probably don't even realize it's a possible feature. I would
put it this way, among those of us that know that dual tuners are
possible, it is *very* much desired. I do believe that Tivo knows this
and is planning to implement it as indicated. When? I don't know, the
sooner the better.

There is one other unit that has multiple tuners (actually 4) and that's
the new HD Directivo, but that's obviously dedicated to Directv as well.

Randy S.
Old January 27th 05, 04:51 PM

Two reasons for switching: First is that I use comcast for internet
now and it's 4 to 5 times faster than my old dsl for about the same
price (I'm in a slow dsl area and can't upgrade). Combining the
services would save some money and allow me to also get a discount on
local phone service.

Secondly, I despise Directv's customer service. I subscribe to the
football and baseball packages now and have been trying for about a
week to remove the baseball. You have to actually talk to a rep to do
it and they make you use an automated menu that is extremely difficult
to find that option. They give you the warning (multiple times) that
the wait is extremely long and after waiting in excess of 15 minutes I
get a recording that there is an errror (not sure if it's from directv
or my phone company) and I get cut off and have to start over. I'm
thinking I'm going to have to send a certified letter to end the
service but I'm not sure they will honor that since they are adamant
that speaking to a rep is the only way it can be done. I emailed their
customer service people about a week ago asking for help and have
gotten no response. They REALLY want my money. I went through this
one other time with them and it was the same. I eventually got someone
who battled me on the issue but eventually removed the package. I've
been happy with the service but it just shouldn't be this difficult.
So that's my deal. I'm not sure that Comcast will be better in this
respect but they have a decent reputation here in Denver, and more
importantly, I'm not angry with them right now.

Old January 27th 05, 06:01 PM
Robert B. Clark

On 27 Jan 2005 00:32:22 -0800, wrote:

I have an old ultimate-tv system that I love. I frequently
record-2-programs or watch one while recording something else. Problem
is that mine keeps me locked into directv and for several reasons, I'd
like to switch to comcast cable. It's the dual recorder function that
made me choose ultimate in the first place and it appears to me that
tivo still only has one unit that is capable of recording 2 things at
once -or even let me watch one channel while recording another- and
it's a directv-specific unit. Is that correct? I work evenings and

The DirecTV TiVO DVR is the only TiVo with two inputs. With it, you can
record two shows simultaneously or record one show while watching another
via live TV.

ANY TiVo will let you watch a prerecorded program while recording another
one. So, with a DirecTV TiVo, you can record two shows AND watch a
prerecorded show via the Now Playing List, all at the same time.

the feature for sports programs that often overlap each other. Over 20
years ago the VCR makers figured out quickly how to allow us watch one
thing while recording something else--obviously they could only record
I talked to a rep from theone thing, but at least we could watch another channel at the same
time. Can it be that tivo still hasn't?

With a standalone TiVo, you can certainly watch one channel while recording
another one. It works the same way those genius VCR makers did it--you
split the incoming signal before the TiVo. One leg goes into the TiVo and
the other goes into your monitor. Surely this is how you had things set up
back when you still used a VCR?

To watch a different program while recording another one, switch your
monitor's input source to its dedicated cable feed and watch what you will.

See
http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1027.htm? for
more information on setting up TiVo under several different scenarios.

I talked to a rep from the company about a year ago who explained that there was very little
demand for the feature but he told me that they would probably adding

The rep either misunderstood your question, or was very badly mistaken.
I'm going to assume he thought you were talking about the ability to record
two streams at once, rather than recording one while watching another.

--
TiVo Series2 60hr (upgraded to 310:09 + Lifetime)
TiVo Series2.5 40hr (upgraded to ~229 hrs)
Old January 27th 05, 09:22 PM
Jeff Rife

) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
Secondly, I despise Directv's customer service. I subscribe to the
football and baseball packages now and have been trying for about a
week to remove the baseball. You have to actually talk to a rep to do
it and they make you use an automated menu that is extremely difficult
to find that option.

You can add and delete sports packages using their website. You can't
do this for MLB Extra Innings (or NFL Sunday Ticket) right now, though,
since those packages aren't close enough to the new season yet.

--
Jeff Rife | "She just dropped by to remind me that my life
Old January 28th 05, 02:43 AM
M.

"Sean" none wrote in message

Don't feed the trolls

Old January 28th 05, 07:21 AM
cha

You can add, but not take off, sports packages. Go look. Look
closely. It implies you can do it until you try and then you get the
message that you have to call customer service. Okay, I'm over it for
the time being. I finally got an email back and they removed the
baseball package. I still don't like for it to be as difficult as they
make it.

I'd sure like to save the money on the internet and local phone service
by changing to Comcast cable but since they don't offer a dual-tuner
tivo, I'll hold off. Maybe I'll break down and spring directv unit
afterall.

Thanks for all your imput. And if anyone has any connections to the
company or influence, tell them we really want to be able to record a
couple things at once.

Old January 28th 05, 07:35 AM
Kenny M

"M." wrote in message
. ..

"Sean" none wrote in message

Don't feed the trolls

your "don't feed the trolls" posts after many of seans posts are more
annoying than what sean says.