New Tivo Products in 2004

Old January 9th 04, 05:38 PM
SINNER

Default New Tivo Products in 2004

http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=195

1/8/2004

New TiVo® Powered Products in 2004 Include DVD Recorders, HD DVR, and
Home Networked Enabled Products

TiVo Hallmarks of Simplicity and Control Fuel Proliferation of New
Products

January 8, 2004 - LAS VEGAS – INTERNATIONAL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW –
TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) today said new products powered by TiVo in 2004
will include DVD recorders, high-definition DVRs, and home network
enabled products. These new products point to growing opportunities for
TiVo in the marketplace, as the simplicity and control that TiVo is
known for becomes a sought after differentiator by consumer electronics
companies to drive adoption for many new digital entertainment
products.
In 2004, consumers will be able to experience TiVo in ways never before
possible. From DVD recorders that deliver on the unfulfilled promise of
the VCR, to the HD enabled DIRECTV (NASDAQ: GMH) DVR, to the most
popular standalone DVR on the market, the TiVo Series2TM, TiVo is
offering consumers unparalleled functionality and ease of use, in
packages to fit any lifestyle. In fact, consumers will be able to
choose from over a dozen TiVo powered products from industry leaders
including DIRECTV, Hughes, Humax, Philips, Pioneer, RCA, Samsung and
Toshiba this year.

"As a company, we expect TiVo’s expanded presence in the market to lead
to a robust 2004," said Mike Ramsay, CEO of TiVo. "We’ve seen a growing
demand for our standalone TiVo Series2 models, and our expanded
offering with DIRECTV points to the strength and value of our
relationship with them. We’re forging new partnerships with consumer
electronics companies eager to replicate this success and leverage the
consumer passion that TiVo inspires to drive adoption of their cutting
edge CE products."

Global CE Makers Humax, Toshiba To Introduce New DVD Recorders Powered
by TiVo
Humax, an international leader of digital satellite set-top box
manufacturing that currently exports to more than 90 countries, will
make its entry into the U.S. market with a new DVD recorder powered by
TiVo. The company will announce specific product details later this
year and expects the DVD recorder powered by TiVo to be on retail
shelves in the Fall of 2004. Humax will also build two new models of
TiVo Series2, which will store up to 80 hours and 250 hours of
programs. The new TiVo Series2 DVRs from Humax will be available at
retail in the second quarter of 2004.

In 2004, Toshiba has extended its existing licensing agreement with
TiVo in order to build new TiVo powered products this year. Included in
this lineup will be Toshiba's first TiVo-powered DVD Recorder model
slated for a Fall 2004 introduction. In 2003, Toshiba America Consumer
Products, a division of Toshiba Corporation introduced the SD-H400
combination DVD player powered by TiVo. The SD-H400 offers up to 80
hours of programming storage and combines progressive scan DVD playback
with TiVo Basic Service.

Pioneer set a new standard for DVD recorders last year with the
introduction of two DVD recorder products powered by TiVo. The New York
Times suggested the "early attempts [of VCR-DVD combos] should bow down
before the sweet perfection of a new pair of hybrids: Pioneer's new
DVR-810H and Elite DVR-57H."

The product also won an Innovation award at this year's International
Consumer Electronics Show, and both are available at consumer
electronics retailers across the country. The Pioneer DVR-810H offers
up to 80 hours of program storage, and the Elite DVR-57H offers up to
120 hours of storage.

DIRECTV Brings Advanced HD DVR to Market in Early 2004
The highly anticipated new DIRECTV HD DVR, a high definition digital
video recorder, was among the products TiVo showcased at CES. The
DIRECTV HD DVR, licensed and designed by TiVo, features four tuners and
can automatically identify whether an incoming signal is satellite or
off-air and then engage the proper tuner for recording. The new DIRECTV
HD DVR will be available in the first quarter of 2004.

The popular DIRECTV DVR with TiVo will continue to be a best seller for
the leading satellite television service provider. Hughes, Philips, RCA
and Samsung will all offer the integrated DIRECTV tuner with TiVo at
retail outlets nationally in 2004.

--
David
Old January 9th 04, 06:07 PM
Hitman of Las Vegas

Thats all cool, Tivo guys, and congrats!

But can someone just add 'Batch Save To VCR,' please? Sheesh!

Old January 9th 04, 08:52 PM
Stephane Beaudry

"Hitman of Las Vegas" wrote in message
s.com...
Thats all cool, Tivo guys, and congrats!

But can someone just add 'Batch Save To VCR,' please? Sheesh!

I hope that they look into expanding the HMO MRV option more, I would like
to see:

1. Cooperative Scheduling: All Tivos in the local network cooperate to
schedule recordings, if you have too many conflicts, you simply add another
Tivo.

2. Full control on the contents of each Tivo from any Tivo: Right now you
can't delete recordings that you transfered.

3. A break in Lifetime Service for owners of multiple Tivos, I upgraded my
Series 1 to Series 2, so I now have two Series 1 that are Unsubbed, I would
be willing to pay a few hundred to enable service on them, but 600$ is
simply too much. Also, in both scenarios above, someone could opt to have
as many Tivos as they have rooms with TVs, but at 300$ a unit it's a little
high. Most other services give you a break with multiple units.

Old January 9th 04, 08:56 PM
Lenroc

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:52:22 +0000, Stephane Beaudry wrote:

1. Cooperative Scheduling: All Tivos in the local network cooperate to
schedule recordings, if you have too many conflicts, you simply add another
Tivo.

Just FYI, there is a Tivoweb module that supposedly allows this (I only
have 1 TiVo, so I've no way to know...).

--
Lenroc
Old January 9th 04, 10:51 PM
Brad Templeton

Stephane Beaudry wrote:
3. A break in Lifetime Service for owners of multiple Tivos, I upgraded my
Series 1 to Series 2, so I now have two Series 1 that are Unsubbed, I would
be willing to pay a few hundred to enable service on them, but 600$ is
simply too much. Also, in both scenarios above, someone could opt to have
as many Tivos as they have rooms with TVs, but at 300$ a unit it's a little
high. Most other services give you a break with multiple units.

Indeed. However you can sell your series 1 Tivos on eBay, where people
want them because they are more easily hackable than series 2, in terms of
use in Canada, running tivoweb etc.
--
Visit Burning Man 2001 in my photojournals
http://www.templetons.com/brad/photo/bm01
Old January 10th 04, 10:36 PM
Gary Lyng

AND...

What about some of these features for us DirecTivo users. DirecTV need to
get with the program (no punn intended) and offer the HMO to DirecTivo
systems, just turn on the usb guys and we will do the rest !!!

"JaSoN" wrote in message
.net...
And no stand alone HD Tivo...That totally sucks!

. 130...

Old January 15th 04, 06:16 PM
SINNER

While strolling through alt.video.ptv.tivo, chap5871 was overheard
plotting:

HD capability will be huge for tivo this year. Am I correct in
understanding that it will not be available for stand-alones, only
Directivo? Sorry to sound naive

Initially, yes, but Stand-alones should follow eventually.

--
David
Old January 16th 04, 12:17 AM
chap5871

Thanks for the answer. That should be great for tivo. Will the same
be said for cable DVR's? With tivo around I can't imagine buying one
of those anyways, but it would be interesting for the future of the
competition