Should I get a FTA receiver?

Old January 25th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
sp[email protected]

Default Should I get a FTA receiver?

Hi all,

Now that C-Band analog has dwindled to a handful of signals, I'm
wondering if it makes sense to get a FTA MPEG receiver, for Deutsche
Welle at least. First, what are the chances that FTA would be around
for a year? Second, could I get something halfway decent for $200 or
so?

Thanks.

P.S. The wild feeds are still interesting. I saw Ron Paul talk to an
unseen interviewer this AM.
Old January 26th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Sal M. Onella

"Foot" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:49:37 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Now that C-Band analog has dwindled to a handful of signals, I'm
wondering if it makes sense to get a FTA MPEG receiver, for Deutsche
Welle at least.

Logic...that which is FTA should be around, and around....unless a
given company sees a need to change.

I'll have a FTA MPEG for years...most likely.

C-Band analog-digital subscriptions may collapse someday....but I have
no idea what the total economics are to kept the authorization center
running....NPS, for instance, does other business than C-Band, but
since they already have in place the required equipment, it don't cost
much to use it. Hence, the demise of subscriptions depend upon
economic costs...and I have no idea what the bottom line here is.

Further, it appears that HITS-2-Home will be coming back to C-Band
frequencies, and we may be able to see them there...it appears, at
this time.

A FTA MPEG receiver cost around $100.00 or so, and if you already have
the BUD equipment...I think it would be foolish not to buy one.

Yes. I bought my first FTA MPEG receiver for use with a new 1m Ku dish and
its companion LNB. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it worked
with my 1985 BUD, too. I had the Alaska Channels, although I see that they
have moved off the CONUS beam and may no longer work for most of the lower
48.

Wild feeds are fun.

Old January 27th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
alt

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:49:37 -0800, spamtrap1888 wrote:

Hi all,

Now that C-Band analog has dwindled to a handful of signals, I'm
wondering if it makes sense to get a FTA MPEG receiver, for Deutsche
Welle at least. First, what are the chances that FTA would be around for
a year? Second, could I get something halfway decent for $200 or so?

Thanks.

P.S. The wild feeds are still interesting. I saw Ron Paul talk to an
unseen interviewer this AM.

You can buy a new FTA receiver for about half that. The good thing about
the current illegal activities is that demand has increased and thus the
prices have dropped. I'd stick to "brand names" though, like Pansat.
There are a lot of new kids on the FTA block, and a lot of old schoolers
as well. Find a unit from those that have been around for a while,
because the new kids will disappear when a certain DBS company has
patched their system.
Old January 29th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Patrick Martin

Go for it!!! Back in 2002 I bought a 4DTV sidecar. I was trying to
decide on a FTA MPEG receiver or the 4DTV side car. I wanted American
Life TV which is on 4DTV, so I bought the sidecar. But the next year I
bought the FTA receiver and I have been happy with both. There are
hundreds of channels wih FTA. I live on the Oregon coast and we often
have Pacific storms with winds over 100 MPH and I have an 8.5 foot solid
dish I have had since 1985 and I have spent a lot of money through the
years to update it with new LNBs and repair when the high winds tear
into it, but it is well worth it.

Patrick