Old TVRO Show

Old January 28th 18, 07:44 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro

Default Old TVRO Show

Hi Folks,

Back in the 1990's there was a satellite radio show, internet based, hosted by a guy who's name I can't remember, that he originated from the Turks and Caicos Islands. Does anyone remember the name of the guy, or the show?

Thank in advance,
Jeff
Old January 29th 18, 01:24 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
JAB

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:44:42 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Back in the 1990's there was a satellite radio show,
internet based, hosted by a guy who's name
I can't remember, that he originated from the
Turks and Caicos Islands.

If you knew what satellite, there might be a way to find out...maybe

It would have been broadcasted on Single channel per carrier
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single...el_per_carrier

And like I said, a decent quality satellite setup would have been
required to tune in that frequency. So, I suspect this was being
rebroadcasted.

You might ask over here...have to login

http://www.satforums.com
Old January 29th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
JAB

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:44:42 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Turks and Caicos Islands.

There were three AM radio stations (one inactive) and six FM stations
(no shortwave) in 1998. T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_and_Caicos_Islands

Old January 29th 18, 11:24 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Bruce Esquibel[_2_]

wrote:

Back in the 1990's there was a satellite radio show, internet based,
hosted by a guy who's name I can't remember, that he originated from the
Turks and Caicos Islands. Does anyone remember the name of the guy, or the
show?

Probably Bob Cooper.

You'll have to rummage around he

http://boresight.ripco.com

He appeared on some of the Friday Night Live shows (under the Satellite
Radio Shows) along with apperances on the Boresight shows like this one:

http://boresight.ripco.com/87-1-29_BS.mov

The video is crap quality and you need something to play mostly .mov format
(old apple movie format) but they are there at least.

-bruce

Old January 29th 18, 11:47 AM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
Bruce Esquibel[_2_]

JAB wrote:

It would have been broadcasted on Single channel per carrier
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single...el_per_carrier

And like I said, a decent quality satellite setup would have been
required to tune in that frequency. So, I suspect this was being
rebroadcasted.

Thats not really true.

Many of the radio shows from the 80's and 90's over satellite were on the
standard audio channels (6.2 and 6.8) of the major satellites at the time.

The trick was, those were mostly overnight because the satellite time was
cheap and usually on off-channel transponders that were used during the day
for news and other occasional feeds.

Some of them, like LTRN were actually fed to the uplink via a dedicated line
or even ISDN. Others used regular telephones lines, some were on shortwave
and either simulcasted on satellite or played later via tape delay.

All you needed was a regular c-band receiver and knew where to tune, which
was subject to change week-to-week.

Matter of fact, the 1st time I ran across usenet was over satellite. That
guy that used to host LTRN used to pull the messages from this group
(rec.video.satellite.tvro, I think, could of been a shortwave group) and
send them via a 300 baud carrier uplinked to somewhere. If you took a dialup
modem and wired an audio plug to the phone line input, put the modem into
"stupid mode" and serial into the computer, you used to be able to get the
weeks post.

The SCPC stuff existed but I don't think was used for "screwing around" that
much because of the costs and lack of hardware in the consumer world.

-bruce

Old January 29th 18, 06:12 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
JAB

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:57:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Shaun Kenny

I think he fell off of a roof (RIP), around the time Motorola was
taking him to court.
Old January 29th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.video.satellite.tvro
JAB

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:47:15 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel
wrote:

Thats not really true.

Many of the radio shows from the 80's and 90's over satellite were on the
standard audio channels (6.2 and 6.8) of the major satellites at the time.

What I recall was from a book I read many years ago. Yes, there were
timeslots available here/there when main user was "off-line."

On another topic, speaking of timeslots

A clear channel radio station broadcasted underground music during
"off-line" time, after midnight. Back then, the transmitter had to be
powered-on during "off-time," so the station engineer had an idea.

"Beaker Street with Clyde Clifford was the first underground music
program broadcast regularly on a commercial AM radio station in the
central US.[citation needed] Beaker Street began on Little Rock,
Arkansas 50,000 watt AM radio station KAAY late in 1966 and ran
through 1972.
The KAAY nighttime signal was so strong that young people in Havana
City and in other places in Cuba were able to receive it clearly. In
the late 1970s, music sung in English was restricted by the Communist
Government. Cuban radio stations were allowed to devote only about 20%
of their time broadcasting music sung in English, so many young people
used to listen American radio stations as a response to that
limitation, and the KAAY was one of the most popular. Today young
people from those years still remember the DJ announcing "Beaker
Street... an underground music service from KAAY, Little Rock,
Arkansas."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaker_Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx_YVVmQCYA

How it sounded back then...background music before and after song was
a standard feature...if stoned, it was "space-ee" to listen to.

AM radio, sounded good, back then:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhHQ6HF8OM