Does Next-Gen TV spell doom for over-the-air DVR?

Old November 27th 17, 10:31 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv
whosbest54

Default Does Next-Gen TV spell doom for over-the-air DVR?

https://www.techhive.com/article/323...s-next-gen-tv-
spell-doom-for-over-the-air-dvr.html

"But the long-term health of these products could be in doubt now that
the FCC and broadcasters are moving forward on ATSC 3.0. At best, their
fates are unclear. At worst, the march toward improved broadcast video
could make over-the-air DVR obsolete."

"...youíll ultimately need new hardware to view ATSC 3.0 because the
standard isnít backwards compatible with current tuners. That could mean
another round of converter boxes or dongles, only without the government
subsidies that helped push the analog-to-digital transition in the late
aughts."

whosbest54

https://whosbest54sites.000webhostapp.com/rao.htm

https://whosbest54sites.000webhostapp.com/rmb.html

If the pages time out, try whosbest54sites.000webhostapp.com in
a site unblocker proxy like: http://www.site2unblock.com

Old November 28th 17, 05:22 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv
Wes Newell[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:31:59 -0600, whosbest54 wrote:

https://www.techhive.com/article/323...s-next-gen-tv-
spell-doom-for-over-the-air-dvr.html

I don't recall exactly how long, but they must continue to broadcast
current atsc standards for a number of years in parallel with the new atsc
3.0. At that point older tuners will be no good. For me that will simply
be putting newer tuners in my mythtv box. I don't expect 3.0 here until
mid to late next year anyway, if that soon. But people with standard
current atsc tuners will be left in the dust once the grace period ends.
Old November 29th 17, 09:46 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv
whosbest54[_5_]

In article , says...
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:31:59 -0600, whosbest54 wrote:

https://www.techhive.com/article/323...s-next-gen-tv-
spell-doom-for-over-the-air-dvr.html

I don't recall exactly how long, but they must continue to broadcast
current atsc standards for a number of years in parallel with the new atsc
3.0. At that point older tuners will be no good. For me that will simply
be putting newer tuners in my mythtv box. I don't expect 3.0 here until
mid to late next year anyway, if that soon. But people with standard
current atsc tuners will be left in the dust once the grace period ends.

The FCC hasn't mandated specific a deadline for ending ATSC 1.0 broadcasts yet.

There is a requirement to simulcast 1.0 and 3.0 as you mention.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-co...-about-atsc-3/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0