programming IR sequences in TiVo Slide Pro remote

Old November 15th 14, 02:04 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

Default programming IR sequences in TiVo Slide Pro remote

I have a new Roamio Pro. It comes with a remote that uses RF instead
of IR to talk to the TiVo, and that's great.

That remote, however, is not a "learning" remote that can be
programmed to duplicate IR commands from other remotes (for the TV and
receiver), like my older TiVo remotes can do. I depend on that
capability to use the TiVo remote's "TV Power" button to turn on or
off both the receiver and TV, and that has been working great for
years. I'd like to be able to use that on a TiVo remote that uses RF.

Although the remote that comes with the Roamio TiVos isn't a learning
remote, the TiVo Slide Pro remote is, so I bought it.

However, I'm having great difficulty programming it. I use the
documented sequence to put it into learning mode, but it takes on
average roughly 40 tries then to get the Slide Pro to learn a single
power on/off command from either of the other two remotes. I put
fresh batteries in the other two remotes just in case, but it didn't
help (and the old batteries' voltages were still pretty good at 1.4+
or 1.5+ volts). Those two remotes are from LG (TV) and Onkyo
(receiver).

On top of my having to try dozens of times to teach a single IR
command, when the Slide Pro finally says it has learned the three
commands I'm teaching it, it fails to send out the first of the three
(TV power) when the remote's TV Power button is pressed.

If I only have it learn the TV power IR command, it works fine.

Has anyone else used the Slide Pro's IR learning capability?

Thanks,
Martin

P.S. Here is TiVo's page on setting up the learning featu

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../278/related/1