Cable card

Old August 24th 14, 07:29 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bilz2765

Default Cable card

The size of Comcast, why in the world do they not know how to pair a
cable card?

Had a Premiere working with HBO. Bought a Roamio, and that is where my
problems started.

First no HBO on the Roamio, and Premiere worked. Since getting HBO
working on the Roamio, Premiere will not get HBO.

On the tenth, yes tenth cable card, and no luck, took four the first
time to get the Premiere to work.

Five of the cable cards did nothing. Remove cable card, and get channels
3-14. Just like 5 cards did. Finally back to getting channels above 14,
but still no HBO.

These cards remind me of the old PCMCIA cards you put in laptops.

Microsoft broke an IBM Ethernet PCMCIA card by requiring an address
range that was in use on IBM laptops. After understanding that, and
blocking the address range from being used by the BIOS, the Ethernet
card worked.

Is Comcast doing the same trick so you have to use their DVRs?

---

Old August 27th 14, 06:06 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bilz2765

On 8/24/2014 1:29 PM, bilz2765 wrote:
The size of Comcast, why in the world do they not know how to pair a
cable card?

Had the only tech here in town show up that knew cable cards!

Took an hour, and finally, after three months, it works..

---

Old August 29th 14, 11:23 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Doug McIntyre[_2_]

bilz2765 writes:
On 8/24/2014 1:29 PM, bilz2765 wrote:
The size of Comcast, why in the world do they not know how to pair a
cable card?

Had the only tech here in town show up that knew cable cards!

With the only real practical device of relatively modern vintage that
can do CableCards, I suspect most people buying TiVos and trying to do
cablecard either give up and return the box, or settle, and rarely do
they bother to get it working 100% with the local comhell office.
Yeah, there's some more even esoeoteric devices that do take them.

Just like when I got my new-gen DirecTiVo unit ~3 years back, I was
the first and only person to have one installed by the local DTV techs
in the whole area, and probably still was to this day.

--
Doug McIntyre

Old August 30th 14, 06:49 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Chris Buckley

On 2014-08-29, Doug McIntyre wrote:
bilz2765 writes:
On 8/24/2014 1:29 PM, bilz2765 wrote:
The size of Comcast, why in the world do they not know how to pair a
cable card?

Had the only tech here in town show up that knew cable cards!

With the only real practical device of relatively modern vintage that
can do CableCards, I suspect most people buying TiVos and trying to do
cablecard either give up and return the box, or settle, and rarely do
they bother to get it working 100% with the local comhell office.
Yeah, there's some more even esoeoteric devices that do take them.

TiVo has good info (if you can dig it out) on getting cablecards
to work. One point in particular is that at the first sign of trouble
from the local folks, you should call the national cablecard numbers
of most cable card companies. Numbers are given in
support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2747

Due to moving, I've had to get half a dozen cablecards paired in the
past year on Comcast, Time-Warner, and Verizon. The national numbers work.

Chris

Old August 31st 14, 04:37 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Adam H. Kerman

bilz2765 wrote:

The size of Comcast, why in the world do they not know how to pair a
cable card? . . .

What exactly is there to do except get it added to some database at Comcast?
Old August 31st 14, 04:42 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bilz2765

On 8/31/2014 10:37 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
bilz2765 wrote:

The size of Comcast, why in the world do they not know how to pair a
cable card? . . .

What exactly is there to do except get it added to some database at Comcast?

Precisely!

But they seem to not know how!

---

Series3/HD Cable Card or Cable Box or both? Character Tivo personal television 22 December 15th 08 03:48 AM
Cable Card Dennis G. Rears High definition TV 13 October 8th 06 06:39 PM
Cable Card and box Rerics High definition TV 10 March 14th 06 12:17 AM
Cable Card Stan High definition TV 7 August 24th 05 02:53 AM
cable card - cable service without cable box larrylook High definition TV 2 September 16th 04 05:26 AM