Using a Home cinema with HD Vrigin M and PC

Old October 23rd 12, 06:27 PM
Bashy Bashy is offline
Junior Member

Default Using a Home cinema with HD Vrigin M and PC

Hi folks.

Basically i have My PC connected to to my TV using HDMI so i can watch stuff from my PC, sound can be set to use the HDMI cable thus come through the TV (if wanted)

I also have the HD virgin Media Box, also connected to the TV using HDMI

What i want to do is to be able to have sound from both the the PC and VM box running through a home cinema system. At the moment when watching stuff from the PC its using my PC's 5.1 surround system, sadly when watching stuff from the VM box its just standard sound through the TV, i dont want to have to have 2 lots of 5.1 surround sound speakers, is there a way to do this through one home cinema setup please?
Old October 24th 12, 12:07 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
the dog from that film you saw[_3_]

On 23/10/2012 17:27, Bashy wrote:
Hi folks.

Basically i have My PC connected to to my TV using HDMI so i can watch
stuff from my PC, sound can be set to use the HDMI cable thus come
through the TV (if wanted)

I also have the HD virgin Media Box, also connected to the TV using
HDMI

What i want to do is to be able to have sound from both the the PC and
VM box running through a home cinema system. At the moment when watching
stuff from the PC its using my PC's 5.1 surround system, sadly when
watching stuff from the VM box its just standard sound through the TV, i
dont want to have to have 2 lots of 5.1 surround sound speakers, is
there a way to do this through one home cinema setup please?

a home cinema amp with hmdi inputs? - just connect everything to that
and then that to the tv.
main issue will be persuading the pc to output 5.1 sound over hdmi -
even when it can do it, you sometimes have to force it.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old November 21st 12, 12:10 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
Pete[_9_]

On 23/10/2012 17:27, Bashy wrote:
Hi folks.

Basically i have My PC connected to to my TV using HDMI so i can watch
stuff from my PC, sound can be set to use the HDMI cable thus come
through the TV (if wanted)

I also have the HD virgin Media Box, also connected to the TV using
HDMI

What i want to do is to be able to have sound from both the the PC and
VM box running through a home cinema system. At the moment when watching
stuff from the PC its using my PC's 5.1 surround system, sadly when
watching stuff from the VM box its just standard sound through the TV, i
dont want to have to have 2 lots of 5.1 surround sound speakers, is
there a way to do this through one home cinema setup please?

Generally Denon AV-Recievers will do exactly what you want. They have
multiple co-axial/optical inputs.
Old November 23rd 12, 09:15 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
R. Mark Clayton

"Bashy" wrote in message

Hi folks.

Basically i have My PC connected to to my TV using HDMI so i can watch
stuff from my PC, sound can be set to use the HDMI cable thus come
through the TV (if wanted)

I also have the HD virgin Media Box, also connected to the TV using
HDMI

What i want to do is to be able to have sound from both the the PC and
VM box running through a home cinema system. At the moment when watching
stuff from the PC its using my PC's 5.1 surround system, sadly when
watching stuff from the VM box its just standard sound through the TV, i
dont want to have to have 2 lots of 5.1 surround sound speakers, is
there a way to do this through one home cinema setup please?

--
Bashy

I have two ways of doing this: -

1. Connect devices to HDMI inputs on the AV amp.

2. Connect devices to the TV and the digital optical out to the AV amp.

usually 2 because the AV amp does not have a front HDMI input, however if I
just want to listen to music on my phone I might do 1.