Other than Tivo or Comcast DVR?

Old May 9th 11, 08:02 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_5_]

Default Other than Tivo or Comcast DVR?

one or multiple channels?
In the Baltimore area some channels in the basic tier are now digital, but
they have a thing that converts digital basic (under 100) to analog so you
can record it, however it only does one at a time
many of the usb and pci tuners and dvr/pvr software works, but those are all
one channel at a time too

"Gary" wrote in message
any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Old May 9th 11, 08:09 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_5_]

"Patty Winter" wrote in message

Seth wrote:

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
. ..

In article , Gary
wrote:
any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Are there really some devices that *can't*??

I've used both my VCR and my Sony HDD/DVDR to record from Comcast.
And I've done it with both live and On Demand programs.

I'll bet both of those recorded from the analog output of a cable box or
NTSC off the wire. Gary was asking about digital.

Oh, okay. "Comcast Digital" is what they call their cable TV
service. The set-top boxes for that service have both digital
and analog outputs. (At least, mine does.) I didn't realize
that Gary specifically wanted to use the digital output. I take
it that has more DRM built into it, which is why it's harder to
find something that can record from it?

Patty

depends where he is too, there are some areas (Baltimore is one) where under
channel 100 doesn't even need a box, but they used to have 99 analog
channels (worked with ntsc tuners) but they are going to more and more that
are digital (not sure if just atsc or clear qam, not sure what the dif
is)... other thing is plain old digital or premium or hd channels...

Old May 9th 11, 02:46 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Doug McIntyre

"Peter Pan" writes:
one or multiple channels?
In the Baltimore area some channels in the basic tier are now digital, but
they have a thing that converts digital basic (under 100) to analog so you
can record it, however it only does one at a time
many of the usb and pci tuners and dvr/pvr software works, but those are all
one channel at a time too

They have had two channel cablecard tuner PCIe cards out for a while.
Somebody just put out a four channel cablecard tuner PCIe card.

But still, its not a TiVo, and nobody has seemed interesting in
licensing TiVo's patents for scheduling and searching and such.

Old May 9th 11, 04:48 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
JEDIDIAH

On 2011-05-09, Doug McIntyre wrote:
"Peter Pan" writes:
one or multiple channels?
In the Baltimore area some channels in the basic tier are now digital, but
they have a thing that converts digital basic (under 100) to analog so you
can record it, however it only does one at a time
many of the usb and pci tuners and dvr/pvr software works, but those are all
one channel at a time too

They have had two channel cablecard tuner PCIe cards out for a while.
Somebody just put out a four channel cablecard tuner PCIe card.

But still, its not a TiVo, and nobody has seemed interesting in
licensing TiVo's patents for scheduling and searching and such.

Why would they? Tivo has the inferior product in that respect. Once you
view your data as pure SQL, much more interesting things are possible and
also blatantly obvious.

If anything, the problem becomes not getting carried away with what all
of the underlying tech allows for.

--
Apple: because you really don't want to take any more video |||
than your camera can hold. Really. / | \

Old May 9th 11, 08:24 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Drew Lawson[_2_]

In article
"Peter Pan" writes:

was being vague since your q was vague... i live in the baltimore area,
channels under 100 were analog until last month, now many are going
digital.... my s1's and s2's work on the non changed stuff (they don't use
cablecards nor have boxes, s3 works no prob), have usb tuners and pvr
software on the laptops, and use a comcast dvr for the premium channels (and
the one channel i love that went digital only - syfy channel channel 31
here)
have a tivo premire on order, supposed to be here wed, will know if it works
without cablecards on non premium channels (comcast says yes, tivo says no,
guess i'll have to try it myself to get an answer)

I have a Premier on standard service Time Warner in Ohio. It works
fine on the standard channels. It sees the digital and/or HD
channels (everyone seems to run all four combos of that), but any
attempt to tune to them says that the content is encrypted.

So any channels that are still NTSC/SD, the Premier will be fine with.

Any unencrypted digital channels would be fine, but the cable
companies seem to like encrypting all of the channels, even if
non-premium.

Non-technical difficuties keep delaying switching the account and
getting the cablecards.

Despite my expectations, I'm not getting pressure from the cable
company to convert. The pressure is coming from the networks. Now
that they have a HD pipe as well, they keep moving the shows I like
over there. The ones they don't move are now shot in 16:9 and
clipped for SD.

The price of being a late-adopter.

--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
| | you're part of the precipitate. |
Old May 9th 11, 11:05 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_5_]

"Drew Lawson" wrote in message
In article
"Peter Pan" writes:

[...]

cool, thanks, thats what i suspected (premier would work on the non
encrypted) and will verify on wed when i get new unit (no offense, but tivo
says it wont work, but comcast says it will, figger the easiest is just try
it and see).... have a widescreen hdtv and noticed some of the lower
channels have those silly black/grey screen size bars now.... when i was
talking about syfy channel (its 31 in sd with bars but current tivo stopped
working on it, and 237 in widescreen hd - comcast works on that) hope the
premeir will do the non premium 237

have BOTH tivos AND cable co HD DVR (6 analog tuners and two hd/digital) so
can hopefully keep using the comcast one for premium (HBO SHOWTIME STARZ
ETC) and the tivo premier for other non encrypted stuff, just running out of
tuners for digital/encrypted (6 analog tuners and two hd/digital)

funny about the late adopter, i relish new stuff, but also keep/collect/use
old stuff.... (thats why i ended up with all those old tivos)
old song snippet from childhood (Make new friends, but keep the old, one is
silver and one is gold)

Old June 9th 11, 09:15 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Peter Pan[_5_]

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
news
have a tivo premire on order, supposed to be here wed, will know if it
works without cablecards on non premium channels (comcast says yes, tivo
says no, guess i'll have to try it myself to get an answer)

just a follow up, the unit itself works without a cablecard on non digital
stuff (here in baltimore some comcast channels are still analog and work
with older tv's/tivos for instance channel 11 is old way and works without a
box, but 211 is 11 in digital/High-def and that needs a box (or cablecard)
cablecard does work on premium channels i have (hbo starz showtime etc), and
hd and sports channels, but it will NOT work with twov way (like channel 1 -
on demand)

however, it does work with the converter things, and does take video in from
a box, so you can do on demand from the cable co box and remote and feed it
into the tivo

Old September 3rd 13, 09:51 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo

Want to watch Tivo on iPad?
To convert TiVo for watching on iPad , Aunsoft Tivo Converter is a good choice, it is a tool specially for converting TiVo to different formats including H.264 full HD mp4 for iPad. It is now in giveaway, you can get the software with only $9.9 now for both Mac and Windows versions.
http://www.aunsoft.com/tivo-converter/
http://www.aunsoft.com/giveaway/