Other than Tivo or Comcast DVR?

Old May 7th 11, 08:24 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Gary

Default Other than Tivo or Comcast DVR?

any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Old May 7th 11, 10:43 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
QN[_3_]

I tried a MOXI, but it sucked. I like my TIVO HD.

At the time, the Commiecast DVR had a 14 hour limit on HD recordings. By
now, things might be better.

Old May 8th 11, 02:44 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Patty Winter[_2_]

In article , Gary wrote:
any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Are there really some devices that *can't*??

I've used both my VCR and my Sony HDD/DVDR to record from Comcast.
And I've done it with both live and On Demand programs.

Old May 8th 11, 03:08 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Seth[_3_]

"Patty Winter" wrote in message

In article , Gary wrote:
any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Are there really some devices that *can't*??

I've used both my VCR and my Sony HDD/DVDR to record from Comcast.
And I've done it with both live and On Demand programs.

I'll bet both of those recorded from the analog output of a cable box or
NTSC off the wire. Gary was asking about digital. That would require a
cable company DVR or something like a TiVoHD (or TiVo Series 3) or other
digital input recorder.

Old May 8th 11, 04:07 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Patty Winter[_2_]

In article ,
Seth wrote:

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
.. .

In article , Gary wrote:
any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Are there really some devices that *can't*??

I've used both my VCR and my Sony HDD/DVDR to record from Comcast.
And I've done it with both live and On Demand programs.

I'll bet both of those recorded from the analog output of a cable box or
NTSC off the wire. Gary was asking about digital.

Oh, okay. "Comcast Digital" is what they call their cable TV
service. The set-top boxes for that service have both digital
and analog outputs. (At least, mine does.) I didn't realize
that Gary specifically wanted to use the digital output. I take
it that has more DRM built into it, which is why it's harder to
find something that can record from it?

Patty

Old May 8th 11, 04:54 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Seth[_3_]

Seth wrote:

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
. ..

In article , Gary
wrote:
any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Are there really some devices that *can't*??

I've used both my VCR and my Sony HDD/DVDR to record from Comcast.
And I've done it with both live and On Demand programs.

I'll bet both of those recorded from the analog output of a cable box or
NTSC off the wire. Gary was asking about digital.

Oh, okay. "Comcast Digital" is what they call their cable TV
service. The set-top boxes for that service have both digital
and analog outputs. (At least, mine does.) I didn't realize
that Gary specifically wanted to use the digital output. I take
it that has more DRM built into it, which is why it's harder to
find something that can record from it?

There are less recorders out there that record from a digital source. When
you record via your VCR and/or Sony HDD/DVDR, because you are recording form
an analog input you are losing HiDef picture and 5.1 audio if equipped.
When I record using my TiVoHD I retain all of that. Same for a cable company
supplied DVR.

I don't know if that's the OPs motivation, but it was certainly mine when I
made my equipment decisions.

Old May 8th 11, 09:42 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Sat, 07 May 2011 14:24:23 -0400, Gary wrote:

any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

Yes, but most have some limitations. You can use a PC with a qam tuner to
record the unencrypted channels (clear qam) right off the cable. There
are a few other devices that can record from the hdmi or composite
outputs of the cable box. but without going to a lot of trouble and
expense, you're pretty much limited to their dvr or a recorder with
cablecard support.
Old May 8th 11, 11:58 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Questor

"Gary" wrote in message
any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

We're using a Magnavox DVR for OTA recording in Tampa FL. I'm sure it would
work fine for cable also but is a basic unit and records using timers like a
VCR. It also includes a DVD recorder. Ours is an older version then the one
shown here;

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

You may have to search Magnavox DVR on Wal-Mart's web site if this expires.
Had to order it for pickup at Wal-Mart for pickup.

Old May 8th 11, 05:13 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Patty Winter[_2_]

In article , Questor wrote:

We're using a Magnavox DVR for OTA recording in Tampa FL. I'm sure it would
work fine for cable also but is a basic unit and records using timers like a
VCR. It also includes a DVD recorder. Ours is an older version then the one
shown here;

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

I just bought an MDR513 a couple of weeks ago based on recommendations
from users on the AVS Forum website. I was looking for a replacement
for my beloved Sony RDR-HX900, which is developing problems with its
DVD recorder. Combo HDD/DVDR devices that aren't tied to a specific
television provider--such as a cable or satellite company--are hard to
come by these days, but a number of former HX900 users said that this
one is quite a decent replacement.

And yes, it has an HDMI output.

Patty

Old May 8th 11, 07:52 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo

On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:24:23 -0400, "Gary" wrote:

any other devices out their can record from Comcast Digital?

If their box has component output and its near a PC, you could use
Hauppauge's HD PVR, a USB connected device which captures in h.264 at
13 mbps or less. Audio is a different issue in that it's typically 2
wire audio unless you can supply it with an optical feed.

Their newer Colossus internal capture device says it has HDMI for
unencrypted capture but still supports the component input of its
predecessor.

So, the answer is . . . . maybe!